[MOD] MagisterModmod

Is this helpful for you at all? I didn't import any animations with these and I didn't move their orientation. You seem much more capable with animations and textures so I thought you might be able to do something with these. I'm going to take some more pieces off of models in case you are able to use them. If not it will still be something I could mess around with as I read up more on animating. I'm going to go back to Brigit and company now and collect some models for you for those. Also, I noticed the wings have two texture files. If you only use angelwings.dds you will get a darker, less glossy look.

I keep remembering these as I finish up. Have you come across anything that let's you extract .sga or .tga files? I've looked for .sga, but it seems as if that's such an old file type that an extractor is hard to come by. I didn't want to download from any of the links I found. Warhammer Dark Crusade uses ,sga files and that's where the model for Hyborem came from.

Attachments

• Static Meshes.zip
    220.3 KB · Views: 40
I put Donal's head sans crown on sphener and it's animating fine for me. That's in the folder named sphener, but it's intended for what you asked for for Tristan. I took the head piece off of the svartalfar illusionist and put that on brigit. That was the piece I was referencing in an earlier post. I was thinking that this could look good for her Sarabride form. That I can't animate correctly yet. It's almost correct, but is slightly off as I didn't find the right armature to have for its parent. I split off Donal's pieces in the static mesh folder. I also redid his shield so that all the embellishments are off and it's simply a flat, tower shield. That version is Shield.No.Horns.No.Raised.nif. I'm hoping that will be a good foundation for some of your textures. I'm off the next few days and plan on working on more. Let me know what you think and what I could take a look at.

Attachments

• Magister.zip
    3 MB · Views: 30
  • Civ4ScreenShot0011.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0011.JPG
    273.1 KB · Views: 87
The head piece from the svartalfar illusionist looks fine on Brigit in a static image, but when she turns her head it turns faster than the head and causes her hair to pass straight through it. Even if it did move properly, I don't think it would be worth my effort combining it with the flame effects I already gave Sarabride.

It also looks a little bit funny with the mask imposed on her face. If I color it right I could almost make it look like part of the same mask, but it still looks wrong around the jawline.

It might look better if you change it to cover the face and if I put the mask texture on it instead of her actual face, so that I could use the mask art for a seperate piece of equipment. Currently all of the Masks of the Coven of the Black Candle are identical, but if I got good enough lore appropriate art for all 7 I might considr implimenting each separately and combining the mask model with the archangel model for the Matronae.

I just noticed that there are three pairs of wings in this model, but as they are all aligned I don't know what benefit they give.

I tried seeing if i could combine the Timor Mask model with a unit, but it did not work as Nifscope said they were saved with different versions of the program.

I'm liking that Tristan the Ring model, except that it still uses a sword when I'd really rather give him the spear from the Order High Priest/Tamesis/Leucetios/Warden of the Weak. I suspect I could swap out the weapon easily enough if his hand was empty (or if he has a straight staff that could be hidden inside the more ornate sphere), but I am not able to remove the sword that is still part of the same object in the Sphener without wings model.

I notice this model does not include the laurel wreath from Donal, but I don't mind. It didn't look as good on him as I remembered anyway. I tried to see if I could add a crown of Akharien based crown to him, but found the Nifscope versions incompatible. I ended up instead making a crown based on the Sidar's Shade, which I had previously used for Laroth. (The Laroth link it thematically appropriate as during the Age of Magic Laroth ruled the Duchy of Logos and provided sanctuary to the Brotherhood of Wardens while the faith was illegal and harshly persecuted in all other regions of an increasingly corrupt Patria.) I added decorative wings to the crown. They look a lot better there than on the shoulder armor where I had tried to place them before settling on tis crown.

Attachments

• Screenshot (46).png
    Screenshot (46).png
    2.5 MB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Here is the Sphener/Tristan model. I gave him the spear from Leucetios and I put Donal's face inside sphener's helmet. There's more that could be done the head. Perhaps a different face inside the helmet, a different head and no helmet? I changed the animation that the model uses to <KFM>Art/Units/Spearman/Spearman blood.kfm</KFM> in CIV4ArtDefines_Unit.xml so he attacks with the spear.

The wings come like that in three pairs in the mesh. I just split that off and left it for you as is. Do you want me to upload just a pair of the wings? Could you upload you new versions of Sarabride/Morigan/Clioda and the attachments you had for the head of the Tristan model you wanted? I'd like to see what I could try to do to have those wings on a crown or helmet for Tristan. I'm still working on that and going to look for a head and crown mashup that could be used.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0012.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0012.JPG
    270.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Civ4ScreenShot0013.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0013.JPG
    266.1 KB · Views: 76
  • Civ4ScreenShot0014.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0014.JPG
    267.4 KB · Views: 74
  • Civ4ScreenShot0015.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0015.JPG
    267 KB · Views: 74
  • Civ4ScreenShot0016.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0016.JPG
    266.4 KB · Views: 80
  • Tristan.zip
    510.6 KB · Views: 26
I thought the Donal head was good enough without any helmet, but that putting his face inside a maskless helmet looks terrible. I'm disappointed that you did not provide a model with neither that helmet nor he sword.

Tristan's spear looks comically small there. It needs to be scaled up at least 2x

When I went to edit it I noticed that the effects on the staff were not set up to stay with the spear and that it was hard to keep it in the hand when trying to resize or move it along an axis. I also noticed that the spear often moved straight through the shield during the fidgeting animations.

When I took the version with no weapon and simply copied the whole Spearman_Spear_Attached branch from the Order High Priest into this model's BIP R Hand, it looked a lot better.

I just attached my current version of Tristan, the 3 archangels, and their Matronae form. (The Brigit texture was not included as it is just the vanilla version.)

I also included the TristanSpear.nif, the version with the spear attached correctly although I still really dislike the helmet.

Could you change the wings on the version of Brigit in the Ring of Carcer art ( Art\Structures\Improvements\ring of carcer\ring_of_carcer.nif ) to match that of the unit?

When I try it claims that they use incompatible version of Nifscope.

Attachments

• Screenshot (49).png
    Screenshot (49).png
    3.2 MB · Views: 104
  • Tristan and Matronae.zip
    3.6 MB · Views: 25
I thought the Donal head was good enough without any helmet, but that putting his face inside a maskless helmet looks terrible. I'm disappointed that you did not provide a model with neither that helmet nor he sword.

Tristan's spear looks comically small there. It needs to be scaled up at least 2x

When I went to edit it I noticed that the effects on the staff were not set up to stay with the spear and that it was hard to keep it in the hand when trying to resize or move it along an axis. I also noticed that the spear often moved straight through the shield during the fidgeting animations.

When I took the version with no weapon and simply copied the whole Spearman_Spear_Attached branch from the Order High Priest into this model's BIP R Hand, it looked a lot better.

I just attached my current version of Tristan, the 3 archangels, and their Matronae form. (The Brigit texture was not included as it is just the vanilla version.)

I also included the TristanSpear.nif, the version with the spear attached correctly although I still really dislike the helmet.

Could you change the wings on the version of Brigit in the Ring of Carcer art ( Art\Structures\Improvements\ring of carcer\ring_of_carcer.nif ) to match that of the unit?

When I try it claims that they use incompatible version of Nifscope.

The model with no helmet should be sphener.donal.test. I'll put that in another zip in case I hadn't included it in that one. I'm about to send another few models too. I'm putting the crown of arkharien on him now. I also has meshes of the sceptre and crowns from the dragon's hoard included. I've made one model of this with no helmet and one of the hoard crowns, but I really don't like how the textures look in game. I'm attach shortly.

You included a sphener.donal.test.nif but it still had his sword in it so I could not play around with seeing how he would look with the spear or any other weapons.

The things you shared from the Dragon's Hoard before still had multiple items per nif, which is a lot less useful as I wouldn't want to have an extra crwon floating in the air or have several gemsstones for the heartstone.

Dragon's hoard in parts
Tristan with a crown, double bladed resized spear
Tristan with no crown, double bladed resized spear
The spear I've been using is from Leucetios. I hadn't altered it at all so if it was small then that was why. I've increased the size and put another blade on the end. The spearman animation I used had the character attack with the bottom on one of it's animations and it looked silly.
I never noticed how bad the cloth flared on Sphener before and now I can't unsee it. I've been trying for the past hour to get it to not flare out so much without success.
I did put the crown of arkharien on a model, but it looked awful and there were issues with some of the mesh not deleting.

I just checked what was sent before and the hoard was separated into separate pieces. I attached that again so you should definitely have it. I split the crowns and sceptre intro separate nifs in this archive.

Attachments

• Sphener.zip
    787.3 KB · Views: 26
I had to step away for a bit, but I'm back now. Here are your two Tristans combined. I removed the sword from the crown version and then imported the spear from your spear mesh. How is this? It animated fine in game for me, but the animation still has an attack with the bottom of the spear. Let me know what you'd like added or removed.

Attachments

• TristanTheRing.zip
    83.3 KB · Views: 29
I split the owl staff off of the Elohim Mage. I added it into the warden and also left it as a standalone. The standalone has not been altered or rotated. Only the mage and animations were removed. I'm getting another python error when I try to open the BB. I'll remove more items from units and provide both those and the units for you in the morning.

Sheaim staff as well. I only kept the mesh. No animations or fx attached.

Attachments

• Warden.zip
    213.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Civ4ScreenShot0018.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0018.JPG
    270.2 KB · Views: 75
  • SheaimStaff.zip
    55.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Dragon's hoard in parts
Tristan with a crown, double bladed resized spear
Tristan with no crown, double bladed resized spear
The spear I've been using is from Leucetios. I hadn't altered it at all so if it was small then that was why. I've increased the size and put another blade on the end. The spearman animation I used had the character attack with the bottom on one of it's animations and it looked silly.
I never noticed how bad the cloth flared on Sphener before and now I can't unsee it. I've been trying for the past hour to get it to not flare out so much without success.
I did put the crown of arkharien on a model, but it looked awful and there were issues with some of the mesh not deleting.

I just checked what was sent before and the hoard was separated into separate pieces. I attached that again so you should definitely have it. I split the crowns and sceptre intro separate nifs in this archive.

I had to step away for a bit, but I'm back now. Here are your two Tristans combined. I removed the sword from the crown version and then imported the spear from your spear mesh. How is this? It animated fine in game for me, but the animation still has an attack with the bottom of the spear. Let me know what you'd like added or removed.

I split the owl staff off of the Elohim Mage. I added it into the warden and also left it as a standalone. The standalone has not been altered or rotated. Only the mage and animations were removed. I'm getting another python error when I try to open the BB. I'll remove more items from units and provide both those and the units for you in the morning.

Sheaim staff as well. I only kept the mesh. No animations or fx attached.

What do you think of these? I thought they could be used for quite a few things.

The cloth in the back flaring out looks terrible if we use <KFM>Art/Units/Spearman/Spearman blood.kfm</KFM>, but is not bad at all if we use
<KFM>Art/Units/Unique_Sumeria_Vulture/Unique_Sumerian_Vulture.kfm</KFM>.

With that animation if just flutters gently as in the wind. He does not attack with the butt of the spear either (not that I think it is a problem to occasionally hit with that side of the weapon, as it happens in real life combat sometimes, so long as it is not the primary attack method). He uses slashing attacks more than stabbing, but that is fine as his weapon is really more of a polearm with cutting edges rather than a simple spear.

There were some issues with the Tristan model you provided, like one of the decorative wings on the crown being misaligned and the spear being attached in such a way that was hard to adjust or resize and which sometimes passed through solid parts of the unit during fidgeting animations. I was able to fix it pretty easily though.

(I think I may have made some mistakes when making the Leucetios model, as I was still new to combined models in NifSkope at the time. I fixed both that and Tristan taking the whole block from the Order High Priest Model, effects and all. )

There were similar issues with how your owl staff sat in the Warden's hand.

The pieces of units and equipment that you share are behaving oddly in NifSkope. When I try to re-scale, move, or rotate them in NifSkope noting appears to happen. The changes sometime show up in the game, but without previews it is hard to get it just right.

I had a really hard time trying to combine the Govannon Cloak with other units.

(I don't need to combine it with anything though to use it as the Umbra Cloak. It looks almost exactly like the icon I was using for that already.)

I had tried many time to give the Warden of the Weak a hood, but kept finding out it was incompatible and that any model with a hood was incompatible with the halo. I almost got the govanon cloak to work with it, but could not scale it up or move it to stop the top of the skull from coming through the hood.

After working with your warden and my warden models, I started looking through the art for other modmods and found that the Jesemir hero from Orbis seemed almost perfect. Adding the halo to it was very easy. Changing the staff took a lot more work (the owl staff really wanted to intersect his arm or float near his hand rather than rest in it), but I eventually got it working. It even has the animations where the unit can place the staff in the ground while moving his empty hand while fidgeting. I used the same model for both the Warden of the Weak and Blinded Brother, except that the Warden of the Weak has glowing effects on the staff and the Blinded Brother has duller colors and a cloth over its eyes which matches the player's colors now.

This screenshot shows how Tristan and the Brotherhood clerics look now. It also shows my updated art for the Hierophant, Bhall Orc, Witchhunter, (the Apostate is there too but invisible), Sexton (Sidar UU turned Eternal Cabal unit), plus the art for the new Tinker, Adjudicator, and Curator units.

(I was unable to add a halo showing the Ember Legion icon to the Bhall Orc, but having her be on fire helps distinguish her from the normal Orc mage.)

Attachments

• Screenshot (50).png
    Screenshot (50).png
    3.4 MB · Views: 82
I went through the base FFH unit assets and split what I thought might be useful to you. Tell me what I missed and I can go back and get it, or tell me what to modify, and I'll try to crop or adjust for you. You're much more proficient with nifskope than I am so I've tried to just provide the raw assets to you. I realized it's not a good use of time after seeing you adjust weapon placements so quickly compared to what I was doing. I should be able to merge assets together so tell me what you think combine well. I saw quite a few unit heads that I think could look better for Tristan and provide a more unique look for him over Donal. I think we could really add to hero and unit diversity. The lore is very important to me as well so please keep providing references like you have been so far.

There is a lot that Blender can do that Nifskope can't and vice versa. If there is something that you're not able to get quite right, upload it here after you feel you've exhausted your modifications and I'll see what I can add to. The animations still get me and that is definitely a weak spot for me. I couldn't get my changes with the owl staff to save in blender so what you had was my very poor attempt in nifskope (after more than half an hour). I was hoping to provide a decent starting point for you with that. Initially the staff was waaaay off. I got it as close as I could and hoped you would be able to work with that.

There have been several units I can't open in blender. The Blind Brother is one of those and, from what I can tell, amy unit thus far that uses a great prophet as a base.

Let me know what pieces are behaving oddly. I try to double check everything I export with blender before I upload, but I might had missed things. If you could, upload them again as well with notes. I'll do what I can to adjust and upload it back to you. My assumption is that it has something to do with the pose that a model is in when i import/export. I've retained animations on almost everything that I've imported and exported. That could be what is causing a problem. I could try removing the pose and that might help you place them better.

Very glad to hear that Govannon's cloak could do well as the umbra cloak. I thought the same thing when I split it off.

Are you able to get the Svartalfar immortal to show its textures in nifskope? I've tried to get them to load and all I get are black textures. I don't know what it could be as the unit shows up for me fine in game.

Those units are looking very good. I like them all really, but man Tristan looks awesome. That is definitely a character I want in my next game. There are several feather resources that I took note of and split off in this upload. I thought they might be good for other units as well.

I'll go back to seeing what I can do with the Matronae. I took a break from those and Tristan once I realized how proficient you were with nifskope. I decided it would be best to provide as much as I could. It's a little taxing though after doing it today so that will be a nice change of pace. I was going to look through your assets next and then Orbis at some point too. I couldn't find an old copy of Warhammer Fantasy Battles from pre 3.19. I loved that mod and thought it might have some interesting assets. Oh yeah, sadly the asset for Tum tum and the ogre warchief wouldn't open for me. I wanted to provide that unit without the weapon to you as well. Those are very nice models.

Attachments

• Unit Parts.zip
    4.4 MB · Views: 28
Hey I was wondering have done this to the .dll files https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Optimizing_DLLs . Another modder told that this improved "end of turn times" by 50%. I'm only asking because I just getting to the "interesting" part of my game where I am about to go war with.....well everybody really.....but since I am playing on a big map, and with 20 civ(some are dead already) the turn times have gotten really bad. One "end of turn" cycle takes 2-4 minutes.

I haven't used that myself. The only indicator I've seen is save file bloat. If you're running a huge map with 20 civs your save file is probably pretty big. Do you have quick combat and quick moves on? Those seem to help me at the end of a turn.

How would the seraph fire sword do with Brigit? I'm trying to combine these and having a hard time. It's a better looking sword and I would think the fire effect would be in Brigit's sphere.

I haven't used that myself. The only indicator I've seen is save file bloat. If you're running a huge map with 20 civs your save file is probably pretty big. Do you have quick combat and quick moves on? Those seem to help me at the end of a turn.
Yes I have quick combat/defense enabled. And the save file is only 2,1 megabytes big, and I have had save files that were 15 megabytes which didn't have that long "end of turn" times. Granted the big save file was for different mod than Magister.

I believe there is an earlier post about BUG or something being incorporated into magister's mod that affects end of turn as well. I think it is something to do with naval combat? I'm sorry I can't be more help.

Could Magister or someone tell me how this looks in game or where the file path for this is? I've tried the base FFH directory and Magister's. I've used the same file path as I have for other units, but for some reason this won't show up so it's hard for me to test this.

I'd also like to change the legs that are on the spiderkin to legs from the giant spider. It opens with textures fine in nifskope, but when I open it or make changes in blender it's looking for a texture, teamcolour.bmp that I can't find.

Attachments

• Eater of Dreams.zip
    364 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Top Bottom