1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

MagisterModmod

Discussion in 'FfH2 Modmods, Scenarios, and Maps' started by MagisterCultuum, Feb 27, 2012.

1. FireBlaze

FireBlaze King

Just noticed that flying units can't pass through ice/coast provinces, which seems like it may be an oversight?
    it is intended

edit: very unrelated, but would it make sense to limit giant cages to evil alignment civs, or at least block good civs from using it? Seems pretty ****ed up to me but i'm not entirely sure how sapient and how hill giants are viewed in lore

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  2. Dominus the Mentat

Dominus the Mentat Warlord

Sometimes after the White Hand ritual is completed, Auric Ulvin's unit dies just after been created. Save attached to help.

Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG

Attached Files:

3. Scypio

Scypio Chieftain

Good day to everyone,

I have noticed that the ability of Gaelan Sedracious to transform himself into The Burned Priest doesn't appear even with those conditions :
    - My nation's religion is the Undertow, all my cities are converted.
    - My Gaelan have a lvl 10
    - I have every tech known to man
    - The only thing i cannot do is to convert Gaelan to the Undertow, but even if I do that with the editor, the problem isn't solved

Did I forget a step ? Or is there more behind ?

4. Link Gaetz

Link Gaetz Chieftain

I've played most of the way through several games with hardly any issues - I think there was one CTD but I couldn't reproduce it. Otherwise, the latest version is quite nice. I do have some questions:

- I've had games with multiple Graves of Asmoday spawn within a few tiles of each other. Once, I explored one and it reverted into a regular entropy node (not sure about the other as it was in another civ's territory and I never got to it). Is this supposed to happen?
    - How do you get rid of smoke/blazes/burning sands? Neither sanctify not spring in a neighbouring tile seem to do it, and most units can't walk into the tile. Incidentally, one time I saw a lone Graves of Asmoday on top of burning sands and guarded by a scorpion.
    - What's with the named great people with seemingly random promotions? I got Magister Cultuum (ha ha), but also Caer of Euphoria and others. They each came with at least one mana affinity and one other specialty, plus the ability to earn promotions but not upgrade to any arcane units. At first I was a little disappointed but given that one came with vitalize, another with greater charm and greater spring, and a third with muse, they're rather overpowered if anything.
    - Many of the unique features like Grigi Abbattoir seem like they can be explored infinitely many times, yielding a stream of free bonuses until a bad result spawns powerful enemies. Is this intended?
    - Is there any way to stop skeletons from chasing my scouts to the ends of the world, or mammoths gutting them constantly?

I started one Malakim game that was going well, but around turn 23-24 four strength 6 (3+3fire) Azers showed up, I think from another civ's scout's dungeon exploration. They beelined straight to my capital, murdered all of my warriors and kept floating around killing every unit I made until a tomb warden wandered by and captured the city. This seems a little harsh. Is there a way to adjust that event to spawn fewer azers based on the turn count?

El Bogus likes this.
  5. Calavente

Calavente Richard's voice

in Magister, some Great People are "heros", coming with non-random, specific lore-related promotion (it is OP... especially as you have chances to have other non-promoted GP...)
    In Magister all Great Lairs are infinitly explorable, with mainly "big Bad" and "Big Good"...

Link Gaetz likes this.
  6. Samson

Samson Deity

I have a repeatable hang. As soon as I end this turn the game crashes, cannot alt-tab out. This is the Into the desert scenario, Malakin.

Attached Files:

7. Cromulus

Cromulus Chieftain

I want to talk meta-game for a minute. I love magistermodmod and its emergent storytelling as a game unfolds. However, due to game mechanics and balance, settings, and variables, i can't quite get it to tell the right story. For example, I want to see a game where I start out as a good faction, living in the world as great evil emerges, the Armageddon counter rises, hell sweeps across the land and a small coalition of good pushes back and eventually liberates the world from tyranny. I want different factions from fantasy represented, dwarves, humans, elves and the undead. However, I can't seem to produce this outcome. The evil empires generally are too weak when run by AI and I end up fighting the Khazad or Hippus, who tend to take over any game they are in. Certain good nations are almost always powerful, like the Ljosalfar, Bannor, and Malakim, but their natural enemies are generally too weak to ever beat them. Even with twice the number. My last game I tried to give evil a huge advantage. it was Sabathiel and Arendal Phaedra vs two shiem, two calabim, doviello, clan, illians and svartalfar. By midgame, the illians had 2 cities still, the elves had a huge empire, and none of the evil nations were strong enough to counter the elves all together except the doviello, and of course both Sheim died by turn 50 as usual. and the AC was still 0. The svarts were never a threat due to constant infighting and rebellions. All good really has to do to defeat evil is wait, as evil is incompetent. What settings do people recommend to get an epic tale of good vs evil in high fantasy vs the AI?

tromozil and Elder Methyl like this.
  8. tromozil

tromozil Chieftain

It is wonderful to find a FfH2 mod, that is still being developed after so many years! Civ4 is really an extraordinary game without a real successor.
    I've played several modmods for FfH2, but I am new to Magister. From the first look of it, it's great, but I would like to ask if you would consider few minor things:

- adding another model for the Ljosalfar Phalanx and the Ljosalfar Man-at-arms (I know the second one has pointy ears, but it's annoyingly crude with that armor, mace and a stance like an orc). I know there are better models, but I could check which mod exactly uses them, if needed;

- I don't know how the Phalanx unit came by, but its a formation name and not a unit name, which is suited for an open field and not for city walls (as the bonus suggests). It is also too Greek for a fantasy game. No wonder Tolkien intentionally avoided words, that are too latin. I believe it's name should be Pikemen or Noble Pikemen...

- Men-at-arms might be suitable for some of the civilizations, but not for the elves. The high tier melee unit could be Heavy Spearmen or Heavy Swordsmen (i personally think Heavy Spearmen fits great - there is a great model, and heavy spearmen usually used a sword or another short weapon, so it is not needed to restrict the unit in terms of bonuses (well, there is a city wall charging phalanx pikemen unit already, so maybe that is nothing of concern :))). Orbis has bigger variety of standard melee units with additional Spearmen/Pikemen, but I think that is not necessary.

- Another old topic, that probably no one except me cares about are the Ljosalfar ships... it would be great to have an appropriate visual representation of the elven ships :)

Those are cosmetic changes, but I think they will greatly improve the immersion for the Ljosalfar player and his enemies (I know most people prefer fire, guts, and ugly creatures).

I apologize, if my post is not appropriate - I know you have better things to do with your time, than implement someone's crazy wishes into your already great mod. I was just happy to see someone still working on the game, and the things I mention just annoy me so much... Maybe I'll try to do the changes myself...

9. PPQ_Purple

PPQ_Purple Techpriest Engineer

For elven ships you can look at my naval module for the RiFE submod. I did a whole lineup of ships for a lot of the civs and they shouldn't take too long to port over. I just can't be bothered to do that work my self right now as that would mean having to maintain two separate mods.

10. BossDaddy

BossDaddy Chieftain

I've just finished a game where the world ended up in a way you described. To get it to do that, however, I use world builder to cheat for the AI. There has always been an issue of how the AI behaves for me in CIV 4 and CIV4 mods. The world builder in this mod is very robust. Spend some time copying and pasting AI cities, give them tech, units, workers, tile improvement, etc. After about turn 50, I will open up world builder and really buff the evil civs. I have had grand coalitions of good aligned civs fighting against evil civs and the infernals. Seeing my allies mount invasions across an ocean has been very satisfying. I've had a very easy time of setting up games to play out this way with this mod.

Cromulus likes this.
  11. Cromulus

Cromulus Chieftain

That does seem very cool. I've been loath to interfere with the natural progression of the AI for fear i'd upset the balance somehow using world builder, or cause some irreparable mess up. one thing I've been experimenting with is AI teams. I'm nearing endgame, started off with doviello teamed with illian, 2 shiem teamed, 2 calabim teamed and two solo clan vs solo elf, solo dwarf and solo human (me). I play with increasing difficulty (i find if you start at deity you get outpaced too quickly, but if you can ease into it after exploring some its better later) on World of Erebus, default map settings. tried a variety of barbarian and event settings, always play with advanced politics even though it slows turns because i like the realism of a realm breaking apart when the government falls, and internal rebellions. Current game, the elves and dwarves got stomped early by an early rush from the illian/doviello team in the west while in the east jonas endain converted to runes was able form a massive empire and keep the calabim in check. the other clan just sort of acted like an extra barbarian team and the shiem in the south just durdled. I was able to liberate the elves and dwarves creating a game lasting friendship and stomped the ice faction, and in the long term went up against a huge clan empire, great times.

One nice thing about the latest patch is acheron is getting built regularly again, but i am rarely seeing infernals entering the game. unfortunately games take a while, so can't test variations of civ makeups and their effects on the world very quickly, which is why i wanted to compare notes here with the other 4 players left playing this mod, haha.

Caix likes this.
  12. BossDaddy

BossDaddy Chieftain

I haven't had the AI build Infernal Pact yet. I used world builder to have the main Ashen Veil civ get one turn out from completing it. I also had a crash that I assumed was related to something the AI was doing during a turn. I deleted several civs at the end of a turn until I found the civ causing it. Then I removed units until I found the culprit. It was a Lanun adept that was doing something that caused the crash. It took a bit, but removing that adept allowed me to keep playing.

13. Caix

Caix Chieftain

Hi! Love the mod, have a silly question regarding the Aggorating/Tolerant trait. I did some early conquests of the Calabim and Lanun capitals in a game (running on Marathon Speed and large map, so a slow game) and noticed that both of these cities reverted to my main civ status which seems like it occurs when they hit 75% of my main Civ. Wondering if anyone knows whether is how it's always worked (havn't played with this trait a lot, but I seem to remember the occupation being more "permanent") and not, is it an exposed value somewhere I can edit on my own?

(... I'll add that I was playing as the Elohim, but edited a file to get Einion to have the Tolerant trait)