Main Menu Won't Load

I am having the same problem. However, when I click on "Verify Integrity of Game Cache" nothing happens. It like its a dead button and my computer doesn't do anything.

Now what?

Honos, it took a while before it started validating the game for me.
thanks to those who provided the correct information on how to fix this.

@ Piece of Mind in post #20:
That may be so, but Civ V is the only game I play on Steam and I'm not so experienced to find such sulutions myself very quickly. IMHO there should be some kind of FAQ-item for this kind of things on Steams opening page.
I'm soooo glad civfanatics is so fast in addressing players problems and communicating solutions. It makes my day!:)

Thank you all!!! I had the same problem and followed your directions. After a couple of false starts from Steam and start/restart, it all worked again. I cannot tell everyone on civfanatics how much I appreciate everyones' help on a number of things. I only hope the rest of the Civ 5 players don't get stuck and quit!

I loaded the game a while ago and it used to work fine, but now I played it for the first time in about a month and the main menu does not show up. The opening cinematics work fine, but once they are done it just shows the background of the menu (the statue of Atlas holding the globe) but nothing else comes up. Does anyone know what to do?

Wow, I guess I should check the other threads before I post my own... I just saw the thread already about this problem, and it fixed the menu. I guess a mod can delete this thread now or something.

Moderator Action: Not deleted, but merged with the mentioned thread.

when I start the game it starts up normally, but after the intro video it has recently started just showing the background with the statue and whatever and there is no main menu text. The game is running and the music is playing. I have played the game a lot and never had this problem until now. Any Ideas?

I have had this same problem, but when I've tried the fixes in this thread, the problem still occurs.

I'm currently trying to reinstall the game now (not working, another matter). I'll try these fixes again once I eventually get it back up and running. However, in case they don't work, are there any other suggestions for fixes?

Hello - I have Civ 5 running on a dual-boot Apple and for the last few weeks I'm having the same problem in both OS.

I launch Steam, then I launch Civ 5 either through the Steam menus or through the desktop icon. The activeX pop-up appears, and regardless whether I pick 9 or 10/11 the following happens.

The intro credits and movie play normally.

I then get the background image for the Civ 5 menus, but there are no menus. No buttons work, can't launch any dialog boxes or help. The only thing that works is to click the red-X box to close the window, at which point the normal Civ 5 prompt to "Exit to Windows?" pops up.

Has anyone else seen this or know what the issue might be?

Thanks all - Cheers

Moderator Action: Threads merged.

Solution is on the first page, this here:

Nice, I'll try.
Right-click on Civ V icon in Steam, go to Properties, and then click the Local Files tab, and then Verify Game Cache.

Edit: And welcome to CFC :).

Ive just downloaded Civ5. After the first video, the opening screen for me has no letters or words. Any help would be appreciated.

When I am in the properties window of steam all it says is shortcut. I went to the library tab and right clicked on the Civ 5 icon, scrolled down to properties and clicked on it and a window popped up with the tab 'shortcut'. I don't know how to get the local file tab.

When I am in the properties window of steam all it says is shortcut. I went to the library tab and right clicked on the Civ 5 icon, scrolled down to properties and clicked on it and a window popped up with the tab 'shortcut'. I don't know how to get the local file tab.

That's because you're right-clicking what I assume is the desktop shortcut. What you need to do is locate the game in the 'Library' tab in Steam. You should be able to open Steam by double-clicking the Steam icon in the system tray.

Maybe that is the problem.

To attach a file, please go to the advanced answering menu (at the left bottom, hit "post reply"), then you'll get to a new screen.
There at the bottom is a button "manage attachements", which will bring you to a menu which allows image uploads.

Top Bottom