MAJOR BUG: Sponsors mods crash when used with original factions

lilgamefreek

Warlord
There's a serious issue that I've tested with several people's sponsor mods, including my own. The sponsor mods cause the game to crash to desktop when used in conjunction with the default civs. The issue was brought too light by a commentator on steam who has been able to reproduce the crash with consistency.

Start a new game with no mods other than The Unity Project loaded.

Select Arc as your sponsor, terran map size with 8 AI players, no delayed start selected so that all factions show up at end of turn 1.

If you set AI player 1 as one of your SMAC factions all others to the game default faction or whatever you want then game plays OK but the animations and speech for the game default factions don't work. (I can live with this as no modded factions to date have speech or animation)

If you set AI player 1 to a game default and then load a SMAC faction into any of the other slots then the game crashes 100% of the time.

My own investigations have been able to reproduce this crash, but only when leaderscenes are set to above minimum. Mods I have tested and reproduced this with so far are:

- My own mods
- TPangolin's Crescent Company
- WakeUpMrBubbles's Ollin Alliance
- Leugi's Caribbean Axis
- JFD's Iron Pact

The nature of the issue points to something wonky with the way the game handles leaderscenes. If anyone has any insight on fixes, that would be fantastic. In the meantime, I want to know what's the best way of communicating the issue either to Firaxis or the community at large.

Try posting in Bug reports or tech support maybe. IDK which is more appropriate. Try PM'ing a mod to ask maybe.

There is a note how to fix it at the Mod thread itself

Known Issues

There's a serious issue that affects many sponsor mods with custom leaderscenes. The mods can cause the game to crash to desktop when used in conjunction with the default civs. A current fix is to play the game with the leaderscenes set to minimum. In the meantime, modders are investigating a proper fix. You can do your part by notifying Firaxis of this widespread issue.

Dont know, but I could not get pass a turn without crashing everytime, till I set it to minimum.

As you may know, Earth 2014 is a mod for civ 5 that is a scenario of the world in the information era. I was thinking about creating the same thing, but with different eras. The ancient era would be the time of the Romans and Babylons, the Medieval era would consist of events like the Hundred Years' War, Classical would be the events between those two, Renaissance would be time of the colonization of the new world and the american revolution, Industrial would be the early 1800s during the American Civil War, Modern would be the events of WW1 during the late 1800s to early 1900s, and Atomic would be during WW2 and the rise of the Soviet Union. Tell me what you think in the reply section below, and tell me if you have any unique ideas or set wars going on there should be.

As you may know, Earth 2014 is a mod for civ 5 that is a scenario of the world in the information era. I was thinking about creating the same thing, but with different eras. The ancient era would be the time of the Romans and Babylons, the Medieval era would consist of events like the Hundred Years' War, Classical would be the events between those two, Renaissance would be time of the colonization of the new world and the american revolution, Industrial would be the early 1800s during the American Civil War, Modern would be the events of WW1 during the late 1800s to early 1900s, and Atomic would be during WW2 and the rise of the Soviet Union. Tell me what you think in the reply section below, and tell me if you have any unique ideas or set wars going on there should be.

Top Bottom