Make a case for ONE unique civ that you feel needs more attention.

Civ 5 represented Hawaii Polynesia with King Kamehameha and a signature wayfinding mechanic. In Civ 6, the Maori under Kupe picked up that torch.

For Civ 7, is it Tonga time? I think it's Tonga time.
I would also like to see a Melanesian and/or Micronesian civ, as well. I believe those two whole groups are thus far unrepresented.

I honestly think native Australians / Aborigines (is this term offensive or not?) are very very likely this time. First Polynesia and then dual combo of Australia and Maori means Firaxis moving closer and closer to that inevitable addition. To be fair we may also get both them and some Pacific civ in the same time.

To be fair Aborigines are an extreme idea for a civ regarding their fairly very primordial level of tech development but eh screw it, Maori and Zulu and Shoshone haven't had very complex society either, culture is rich and cool and that counts. It's alternate history anyway.

I would love to hear their music, as I love didgeridoo, and see TSL Earth map finally having Australia filled with native civ (colonial Australia feels damn strange there in an ancient era)

I honestly think native Australians / Aborigines (is this term offensive or not?) are very very likely this time. First Polynesia and then dual combo of Australia and Maori means Firaxis moving closer and closer to that inevitable addition.

To be fair Aborigines are an extreme idea for a civ regarding their fairly very primordial level of tech development but eh screw it, Maori and Zulu and Shoshone haven't had very complex society either, culture is rich and that counts.
However, depicting a dead leader (or any individual) is as much a taboo to Australian Aborigines as having someone speaking the Pueblan language over a digital medium is to Pueblans, and will likely continue keeping them unrepresented in Civ.

I honestly think native Australians / Aborigines (is this term offensive or not?) are very very likely this time. First Polynesia and then dual combo of Australia and Maori means Firaxis moving closer and closer to that inevitable addition. To be fair we may also get both them and some Pacific civ in the same time.

To be fair Aborigines are an extreme idea for a civ regarding their fairly very primordial level of tech development but eh screw it, Maori and Zulu and Shoshone haven't had very complex society either, culture is rich and cool and that counts. It's alternate history anyway.

I would love to hear their music, as I love didgeridoo, and see TSL Earth map finally having Australia filled with native civ (colonial Australia feels damn strange there in an ancient era)
Personally, I would rather have Tonga or Hawaii instead of Australian Aborigines. I'm reasonably confident they'll bring Maori back (as it was a very popular inclusion in Civ6) and I think we'll also get Australia again. Therefore, Tonga/Hawaii would be the third civ in Oceania, and both quite interesting and perhaps they may not bring controversy to the game like Australian Aborigines.

Personally, I would rather have Tonga or Hawaii instead of Australian Aborigines. I'm reasonably confident they'll bring Maori back (as it was a very popular inclusion in Civ6) and I think we'll also get Australia again. Therefore, Tonga/Hawaii would be the third civ in Oceania, and both quite interesting and perhaps they may not bring controversy to the game like Australian Aborigines.
Though I'd really like to see a thus-far-unrepresented Melanesian or Micronesian civ.

The term Aborigine is considered to be offensive to the indigenous peoples of Australia - it was the primary term used during the period of explicit white supremacy and genocide that is well within living memory. The terms typically used, at least in my experience, are First Nation Peoples, Indigenous Australians, or Aboriginal (and Torres Strait Islander) peoples :) In terms of the taboo around depicting deceased individuals, my understanding is that the custom both varies across Australia (first nation peoples are incredibly culturally diverse, and often are viewed as a monolith) and where the custom is present, it is typically applied for a period of mourning. There are some good guidelines here. If there was a desire to depict the First Nations of Australia, I think it would be possible to do in the game.

Hawaii seems plausible. One of the pacific island Civs should be there and giving them early ocean tile sailing tech would make sense.

Last edited:
The term Aborigine is considered to be offensive to the indigenous peoples of Australia - it was the primary term used during the period of explicit white supremacy and genocide that is well within living memory. The terms typically used, at least in my experience, are First Nation Peoples, Indigenous Australians, or Aboriginal (and Torres Strait Islander) peoples :) In terms of the taboo around depicting deceased individuals, my understanding is that the custom both varies across Australia (first nation peoples are incredibly culturally diverse, and often are viewed as a monolith) and where the custom is present, it is typically applied for a period of mourning. There are some good guidelines here. If there was a desire to depict the First Nations of Australia, I think it would be possible to do in the game.
The Inigenous Australians also have a similar impediment for portrayal in Civ as the Inuit of neither having notably-sized permanant settlements, nor being, "classically nomadic." Plus, their many languages and cultures, which did, indeed, vary widely, and each occupying a set, traditional homeland with a very low Pre-Colonial population, are also serious difficulties to be faced in such a portrayal.

Hawaii seems plausible. One of the pacific island Civs should be there and giving them early ocean tile sailing tech would make sense.
I agree a Polynesian civ should appear, but, as I was saying, a Melanesian or Micronese civ, who are all previously completely unrepreseted, should appear, as well.

The Inigenous Australians also have a similar impediment for portrayal in Civ as the Inuit of neither having notably-sized permanant settlements, nor being, "classically nomadic." Plus, their many languages and cultures, which did, indeed, vary widely, and each occupying a set, traditional homeland with a very low Pre-Colonial population, are also serious difficulties to be faced in such a portrayal.

I do agree that it would be difficult to portray first nation peoples accurately in a Civ game - recent(ish) discoveries have shown extensive aquaculture in some regions, but the traditional lifestyle of first nation peoples is fairly at-odds with the fundamental assumptions of the civ series

I think Arabia abilities could use an overhaul. It incentivizes others to want your religion, in theory, but I am not sure this has any practical effect on gameplay. Also, I build holy sites but seldom campus, so the guaranteed prophet and unique building don’t do much for me either. Their abilities make them niche, rather than a staple.

I do agree that it would be difficult to portray first nation peoples accurately in a Civ game - recent(ish) discoveries have shown extensive aquaculture in some regions, but the traditional lifestyle of first nation peoples is fairly at-odds with the fundamental assumptions of the civ series
Note, one cannot just use, "First Nations," unqualified as a term for Indigenous Australian peoples, because First Nations is also a term for Indigenous Canadians (except Inuit, who see themselves as seperate for a number of reasons), and Indigenous Taiwanese (peoples long dwelling on the island before the Han conquest in the late Ming Dynasty, and still distinct from the now-Han majority of the Republic of China centred in Taipei since 1949). The term does have to, thus, be qualified.

I hope for Switzerland, one we have not seen in a Civ game yet. And everybody knows about William Tell, Swiss army knives, cheese, and the Matterhorn.

I mean, you'll never know what the swiss tourism agency is up to this time!

I really hope Assyria is going to come back. What a massive and glorious civilization, which bizarrely entered civ series only once whereas its ancient rival has been a staple. I would be fine with Babylon ceasing to be must-have and having to rotate with Assyria.

On the other hand, Babylon and Assyria were such staunch rivals that there is an inherent fun in including them both in the same time, and excluding Sumer instead.

I also wouldn't complain if Firaxis went into complete oddball direction and just replaced both Sumer and Babylon with Assyria and Hittites.

I really hope Assyria is going to come back. What a massive and glorious civilization, which bizarrely entered civ series only once whereas its ancient rival has been a staple. I would be fine with Babylon ceasing to be must-have and having to rotate with Assyria.

On the other hand, Babylon and Assyria were such staunch rivals that there is an inherent fun in including them both in the same time, and excluding Sumer instead.

I also wouldn't complain if Firaxis went into complete oddball direction and just replaced both Sumer and Babylon with Assyria and Hittites.
Lower Mesopotamia is too important to be excluded my idea was having sumer and the mittani as civilizations

I agree that having both Babylon and Assyria together would be preferable to just one mixed with the Sumerians. They are more alike each other than they are to the Sumerians, but they are also so fitting as opposite poles, and Assyria and Babylon are both richly embedded in the popular imagination.

I would also argue that having both Phoenicia and Carthage in a game is a good idea. Carthage was a Phoenician colony, but they were probably more different culturally from the cities in the “motherland”, than the US is from Great Britain. And since the original Phoenician cities and Carthage are located so far away from each other as they are, it isn’t a problem geographically either. (Well, adding any civilization from the Fertile Crescent does add geographical complexities. But that is an issue left for scenario-makers to resolve.)

The Phonecians with their rich commercial heritage and great seamanship is perfect for this game.

Not one specific civ I can think of. But generally speaking I would like to see less modern nation states and rather have them broken down into their historic predecessors or nations that got absorbed into those. For example would like to play as the Novgorod Republic instead of Russia.

Top Bottom