Make a Mod Request

sangeli

Major General
Ok let me give you a little introduciton. I used to mod BTS last summer, until my computer crashed and school started; too much work too little time. But now summer comes again...and again I'm kinda bored and I need something very time consuming to do. Moreover, I need to practice a little programming before I go back to college. Since I haven't played Colonization too much I don't what should be changed. Thats where you come in; give me an idea of a mod I can make. Mind you that the change I would like to make would be in the mod component section; this will be essentially a reintroduction into mod making for me. Nonetheless, I am (at least was) a capable modder and did stuff in BTS like reform territorial control to better model modern polticial boundries (my military control mod if you would like to know). AI modifications, not so much (yet).

If you didn't read the previous paragraph just post ideas for a small to medium modification you want.

have a browse thru this forum... theres a ferw discussions of mods that have yet to be taken up, eg a mars colonization mod etc

Ok let me give you a little introduciton. I used to mod BTS last summer, until my computer crashed and school started; too much work too little time. But now summer comes again...and again I'm kinda bored and I need something very time consuming to do. Moreover, I need to practice a little programming before I go back to college. Since I haven't played Colonization too much I don't what should be changed. Thats where you come in; give me an idea of a mod I can make. Mind you that the change I would like to make would be in the mod component section; this will be essentially a reintroduction into mod making for me. Nonetheless, I am (at least was) a capable modder and did stuff in BTS like reform territorial control to better model modern polticial boundries (my military control mod if you would like to know). AI modifications, not so much (yet).

If you didn't read the previous paragraph just post ideas for a small to medium modification you want.

Hi Sangeli, I do have I idea for a small ModComp I wanted to do but not sure I'll have the time.

My idea is to modify the "Sail to Europe" button into a "Set Course To" button. This button would open a list of known cities (as well as Europe) with their owner identify to set sail to. This way you won't have to scroll and move the map far off using the "Go To Mode", which can be to laborious to my taste. Somewhat like it use to be in the original Colonization.

The "Go To Mode" would still have it's utility, but I think such feature would be nice to have...

Hi Sangeli, I do have I idea for a small ModComp I wanted to do but not sure I'll have the time.

My idea is to modify the "Sail to Europe" button into a "Set Course To" button. This button would open a list of known cities (as well as Europe) with their owner identify to set sail to. This way you won't have to scroll and move the map far off using the "Go To Mode", which can be to laborious to my taste. Somewhat like it use to be in the original Colonization.

The "Go To Mode" would still have it's utility, but I think such feature would be nice to have...

EDIT: Thinking about it, I don't want to make a mod that doesn't add anything to gameplay; it just cuts a few seconds of map searching.

I had an idea for a Crusades mod for Colonization. Not exactly sure how it would work though.

I always wondered what the game would be like if you limited how far units could go beyond the colonial borders, where you couldn't just explore the whole of North and South America within a decade.

Say.. 10 grid squares for master scouts, 6 grid squares for everyone else. Naval units being unrestricted of course.

i dont really want to make a mod on col, but if anybodys open to making a mod about the milddle ages, i NEED help.

I have an idea for adding a new type of food. So far they only have plant and fish food resources, but meat was also a very big source of food. I was thinking of adding in resources like bison and deer that if you could work them would give you a lot of food. You could also work in something where fur trappers produce both fur and food.

How about making a mod where you can win by other means besides the war of independence... Ie, conquering the new world.

And I always missed the custom house from the original colonizations. It was a major component which added different strategy elements. It was nice to be able to give the big ol' middle finger to the king without necessarily crippling your trade (and realistic too of course). As it is right now, a trade-based economy is only useful for the first 150 turns or so, as once the tax rate gets too high, there's no point producing anything besides food, horses, lumber, tools, and guns.

The caveat is you can't make the customs house too good... it has to have some sort of drawback, ie lower prices than european trade. I know the lack of a customs house is a major beef with a lot of colonizations players.

Another thought... how about new, advanced stage buildings that allow you to produce stronger units, ie produce artillery instead of cannons or a military college that can train a soldier to a new level, stronger than a veteran. These units can only be made, not bought from europe like cannons or veteran soldiers can. There's already a precedent for this in the Ship Of The Line, which can be made with a shipyard, cannot be bought in europe, and is better than the best ship you can buy in europe. You could allow for ships with more carrying capacity than a galleon, advanced wagon trains, or maybe even a combat ship that can hold it's own with the man 'o wars you fight in the WoI.

If you combine this idea with the ones from my previous post, you would have a game where you can build a larger economy, but at the same time you couldn't just up and buy all your best fighting units. And, there'd also be a purpose to going around tromping neighbouring european colonies.

I suppose you mean having the "colonies" be medieval European child states in the Levant, and the Arabic countries be the "natives". Yeah, pretty nice.

Yeah, that sort of thing. A bit similar to the Medieval II Total War scenario perhaps. This is plenty of suitable unit art around if someone wanted to make it. The problem is it is hard to deviate in terms of mechanics so you always have to have a War of Independence, etc, etc.

Couldn't you just remove war of independence as a victory?

I haven't really had the opportunity to play CIV: Col, but I have a modding Idea: how about adding CIV-style religions (in the form of Catholicism and Protestantism) in the game? Settlements with your state religion would have extra :hammers:, :commerce:, :) and crosses, and you can convert natives to your religion, giving you a relations bonus with them. You can also convert colonial leaders with the same effects. However, the 4 kings would permanently remain in 1 religion (Protestantism for the English and Dutch kings, Catholicism for the French and Spanish Kings), so if for example, Champlain converted to Catholicism, he would get a +1 relations bonus towards the Protestant leaders (Washington and Stuyvesant), but he would get a -1 relations bonus towards the French King (which would not be too a-historical, as the French King seems to be Louis XIV, who loathed Protestants).

Yeah, that sort of thing. A bit similar to the Medieval II Total War scenario perhaps. This is plenty of suitable unit art around if someone wanted to make it. The problem is it is hard to deviate in terms of mechanics so you always have to have a War of Independence, etc, etc.

Maybe you could have the War of Independence be Saladin's army invading? So as you grow in power, Saladin builds up his army, and then once you hit a certain threshold, he attacks you with everything he's got?

So if you beat him, you've destroyed all opposition to the Crusades (or at least, the greatest opposition), but if you loose, the Crusades have been driven back?

I would like to see the Civil War (Candle's Idea) done.

Top Bottom