Making a list of things that don't work in Rising Tide at launch

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want to create a list of bugs I would suggest keeping it to just bugs and not "things I don't like" or "things I think might be wrong, but I'm not sure."

Oh I'm sure the things I mentioned are wrong.

Here's a minor one

Aliens spawn on your turn from what appears to be thin air.
When it is the alien's turn, the nest spawns.

So basically the nest is not spawning visually when it should...
I guess what needs to be discovered is whether the invisible nest can be pillaged.

I could not build the Biofuel Plant in my city even though I had 3 workable and improved sources of Algae.
The problem : I improved them all with a FARM instead of the BARGE
Once converted one of the tiles to a BARGE improvement I was able to build the plant.

Do we consider this a bug or 'misunderstanding' on my part?

After all the requirement for Biofuel Plant is 'Requires a workable, improved source of Algae'.... no mention of HOW it needs to be improved.

Thanks.

Here's a minor one

I guess what needs to be discovered is whether the invisible nest can be pillaged.

Yes, I can confirm that this has happened to me more than once.

Here's a minor one

Ohh, is that how it works? Haha, that's interesting, I just assumed Aliens could pop up out of nowhere as well as on Nests :D

Thanks for this thread. It's really important. And it saddens me that it's so direly needed...

A little note, though:
Al Falah gets a 50% bonus to city processes, not 150% as her description states. (Via Idleray)
Maybe I understand something incorrectly, however the whole idea behind Al Falah is that they can "develop" their cities with 150% efficiency, i.e. they get 50% bonus to standard efficiency of other factions. Wording here may be shaky, yet everything seems to work as it is supposed to be.

Also, please also add an entry about ultrasonic fences. They have no effect whatsoever even on friendly aliens.

And I'd call the new trade system a one huge bug, though it doesn't really qualify for this thread. It's insane how quickly I'm able to grow aquatic cities.

I could not build the Biofuel Plant in my city even though I had 3 workable and improved sources of Algae.
The problem : I improved them all with a FARM instead of the BARGE
Once converted one of the tiles to a BARGE improvement I was able to build the plant.
The code that prevents players from building anything but ressource improvement on ressource tiles is currently (and presumably) broken. You are not supposed to have farms there. ;)

The code that prevents players from building anything but ressource improvement on ressource tiles is currently (and presumably) broken. You are not supposed to have farms there. ;)

1) I don't see any logical reason to not be able to construct any improvement on any resource. I would like to have farm on Floatstone that I currently can't improve with floatstone quarries (missing research).
2) Some resources are not even visible until you get needed research.

1) I don't see any logical reason to not be able to construct any improvement on any resource. I would like to have farm on Floatstone that I currently can't improve with floatstone quarries (missing research).
2) Some resources are not even visible until you get needed research.

I agree to some extent. I remember being able to build a mine on a grassland in civ 3 - totally plausible irl. Not sure about farms on floatstone though...

I think I may have encountered another bug.

It was while attacking a station, though it was tied to a quest if that matters (towards Supremacy, the one with the Beating Heart Society taking refuge in the station).

I attacked it with no problem the first turn. Then, on the next turn, when I went to perform a ranged attack again it asked if I wanted to declare war on it (I thought I already was, haha). Not only that, but the war target was the Aliens, not Jinko Labs or whatever it's called, haha. I just fired away and then cleared it after with my patrol boat. I think even the notification on the side that says when a station is destroyed said Aliens too.

I think I may have encountered another bug.

It was while attacking a station, though it was tied to a quest if that matters (towards Supremacy, the one with the Beating Heart Society taking refuge in the station).

I attacked it with no problem the first turn. Then, on the next turn, when I went to perform a ranged attack again it asked if I wanted to declare war on it (I thought I already was, haha). Not only that, but the war target was the Aliens, not Jinko Labs or whatever it's called, haha. I just fired away and then cleared it after with my patrol boat. I think even the notification on the side that says when a station is destroyed said Aliens too.

Yeah, I got that bug too. The game will prompt you with the declaration of war against "aliens" every single time you do a ranged attack.

I like that they decided to do something about diplomacy, but why they decided to go with zero kind of communication on player's side? They constantly annoy you with tweets, but I can't say anything to them. I can't tell them not to settle near me (not that it ever helps), can't tell them not to attack a station, can't ask for a loan etc etc. Absolutely nothing except for agreements and manually changing relationship. I feel like a mute.

Not related, but a couple of WTFs.

Apparently expeditions must be built inside your territory...
Spoiler :

Kozlov decided to express his concern about my expanding... during war. Perhaps it's his witty way of hinting I should stop taking his cities... who knows, very confusing, considering he never accepted peace.
Spoiler :

Ugh... I think I found another. :(

I tried out Legendary Start in my 2nd game and was noticing ridiculous quantities on strategic resources. At first I thought I was just lucky in my area, but then as I kept exploring I kept seeing them. I gave up on the game and used Firetuner to analyze the map -- frequent huge quantities. (The standard amounts are bad enough!) I generated a few more maps with Legendary Start and had the same thing, then I generated some maps with Standard resources and things were fine again.

I assume this isn't intentional, as Legendary Start is supposed to just affect starting locations while everything else remains at the standard. If it is, then this option needs to be renamed (or create tooltips for these options so there's no confusion, Firaxis!).

- - - - - - - -

I'm really disappointed with these generated maps!! And all these bugs are unacceptable. As was joked about in another thread, this isn't a Beta, we're still in Alpha!

I wish Sirian continued his work in Rising Tide. It doesn't look like he did as the code uses a much different style and is less "friendly". Not that it's hard to figure out; it just takes a little more time to go through it. I have a pretty good idea who worked on this, but I'm not going to point fingers.

I'm going to have to get to work sooner than I thought. A poor "gameboard" to play on restricts gameplay from reaching its full potential (which fortunately, right now, isn't too high anyway, haha).

Hey Omniclast, how come you ignored almost everything listed here? :(

Because I don't have infinite space (there's a character cap on the post and I didn't think I'd need a second one when I started) and I'm worried that the longer the list gets the less likely the devs are to find and address the core issues on the list. I have been prioritizing bugs that (a) have been experienced by more than one player, (b) that don't seem to be related to the specs of specific machines (I recommend reporting those directly), (c) that directly contradict the devs' stated intentions or a tooltip/description in-game and (c) seem like they have a really big impact on gameplay.

Typos specifically I added a note about, I don't want to get that granular or the list will really go on forever. (Plus, I figure if they didn't test for game-breaking bugs around city movement and subs, chances of them changing PAC's sponsor message are slim to infinitessimal...)

Loading times are much worse than vanilla. Even on an SSD the game still takes about a minute to get to the main menu, and then it's another 30 seconds to load up the save file. Plus there's a large pause right before a new turn begins that causes the game to completely hang for a few seconds that starts to happen later into the game when the entire world has been explored.

I've seen a lot of players mentioning that the game hangs before each turn in the mid-to-late game, and I've definitely experienced it on my laptop (though not my desktop with the game running off SSD). My worry is that issue is a lot more than a bug, something is definitely slowing down the game's performance before the turn starts. Honestly, I haven't included it before now because if the devs aren't aware of it then I'm afraid all hope is lost :( I will add a note though because it does keep coming up.

If you want to create a list of bugs I would suggest keeping it to just bugs and not "things I don't like" or "things I think might be wrong, but I'm not sure."

"Things I think might be wrong, but I'm not sure" is exactly what QA testers are supposed to report on. It's in the devs hands whether they want to address anything on this list or if it's working as should be (if they even see the list), I'm just cataloguing everything in case we can catch something they haven't. The Aquilon issue was suggested by someone and IMO falls into the category of "seems like it wasn't intended based on the devs' descriptions of the unit." It's something they may not be aware of, so in my mind it is worth calling attention to.

However, I have been removing some stuff from the list based on people saying they don't think it's an issue, like the conflicting station quests. If there are other items you have an issue with on the list please make an argument for removing them and I'll do so.

Maybe I understand something incorrectly, however the whole idea behind Al Falah is that they can "develop" their cities with 150% efficiency, i.e. they get 50% bonus to standard efficiency of other factions. Wording here may be shaky, yet everything seems to work as it is supposed to be.

You may be right here, and I'm thinking that Al Falah has the correct value, but the description should be worded more clearly. (I've actually moved this back and forth between "diplomacy" and "graphical/UI" because I'm not sure if the issue is the ability or the tooltip.) Anyway it does seem like there is a significant issue there, there was a whole thread about it and people seemed pretty misled/surprised that the value is 32.5%, not 62.5%.

Will add the nest bug and add some extra context to the "Alien!" bug with stations. Still trying to figure out how to interpret the "stop expanding towards me!" issue when you haven't built any cities, has anyone else experienced this that can give some more insight on what might be affecting it? Or had it happen in Vanilla as well?

Btw, thanks everyone for posting your bugs! Please also consider submitting your save files/other evidence of the bug to Firaxis/2K. (Sorry I don't have the link handy)

I assume this isn't intentional, as Legendary Start is supposed to just affect starting locations while everything else remains at the standard. If it is, then this option needs to be renamed (or create tooltips for these options so there's no confusion, Firaxis!).

I don't play with Legendary Start on much, can you clarify what it's supposed to do in this case?

I have definitely seen some map weirdness too... I did a random map yesterday and it spawned dozens of tiny islands, so I assumed it was Archipelago, but in the hall of fame it was apparently Terran. I'm hoping that's another HoF bug, because if those were supposed to be large continents I'm a bit worried...

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Pandorus full version!

The purity line of Familar Exotics sometimes tells you to build a vivarium in an aquatic city -- which is impossible and makes the quest impossible to complete.

(Just saw this is already in the list, didn't notice it while scanning through the first time -- sorry)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom