Malakim advantages

added. totally forgot about it. :)

The AI Varn is usually quite strong in my games, especially when he starts next to some floodplains. He's often the one who founds Order.

I just wanna say one point. You say malakim are "river" people in stead of desert people. Would you consider the ancient Egyptians "river" people as well? Most desert dweller societies know how to use rivers to their full advantage as opposed to the tribal Europeans who had guaranteed survival in their wilderness. Of course, there are the Fremen from Dune who seem to like hills better, but even then, water is like god, and theirfore desert people know how to use water better than others. honestly I think a food bonus or a health bonus would better reflect this IMO, but yes, desert people will value Oasis and rivers far more, and prolly go to extra lengths to get irrigation whenever they can

Need more deserts. Can you convert grasslands to plains or tundra to deserts? Scorch doesn't do it.

Tundra -(Vitalize)-> Plains -(Scorch)-> Desert

Grasslands are tougher, you need the Illians to give you a hand:

Grassland -(Temple of the Hand)-> Ice -(Scorch)-> Tundra -(Vitalize)-> Plains -(Scorch)-> Desert

You'd have to allow the city to fall into their hands, and then take it back after they've built a Temple of the Hand there. Also, you'd need Illians in your game. I've tried to use the Ice III spell Snowfall to achieve this effect, but unfortunately the terrain reverts to its original type after a certain amount of time, even if you've changed it from Ice to something else.

I just noticed that you forgot to mention me in the credits:(
yeah yeah. :)

Tundra -(Vitalize)-> Plains -(Scorch)-> Desert

Grasslands are tougher, you need the Illians to give you a hand:

Grassland -(Temple of the Hand)-> Ice -(Scorch)-> Tundra -(Vitalize)-> Plains -(Scorch)-> Desert

You'd have to allow the city to fall into their hands, and then take it back after they've built a Temple of the Hand there. Also, you'd need Illians in your game. I've tried to use the Ice III spell Snowfall to achieve this effect, but unfortunately the terrain reverts to its original type after a certain amount of time, even if you've changed it from Ice to something else.

this is getting a bit complicated just for making a desert. :)
If you could just make flood plains ....

Do I remember that casting religious fervor while in Council of Esus gives an Assassin at every city? CAn anyone think of any good uses for that, especially in combination with Goetia, the earliest Chanelling III unit?

thats right, and they get as much experience as you have cities with CoE in them. But I honestly seldomly found a good use for Assassins, although I hate it when the other guy has them. :)

I think the AI problem was an AI_Missionary on priests or somesuch. This tended to give them city lock sometimes. and ... since tha malakim are a very religious flavored civ ... most of their hammers were wasted on worthless units that wouldn't leave cities. I think that bit is being fixed shortly.

One thing I can add to experiences playing on Diety are the late game Malakim and Calabim both having over 100 priests, the Malakim had 110 vicars, and the Calabim had 130 ritualists

Edit That being said, I played a fall further game where Malakim were the main powerhouse, founding the 3 "goodly" religions, and summoning basium (after I summoned Hyborem). It was neat that Hyborem DoWed malakim almost automatically giving me a nifty ally to be friendly with and such.
(yes, Hyborem declared Malakim a long while before Basium was summoned)

It was a multiplayer game with the Malakim and Cualli as AI, and eventually Hyborem and Basium as AI too

Last edited:
Nice posts about the Malakim DirtyFinger! Gives me the urge to try them out again. Maybe I'll try out Decious and see what happens :)

i assume he'll suck :)

Is there any reason to train Lightbringers rather then diciples, if I intend on upgrading them down the diciple line?

I just founded RoK and trying to decide wether to train diciples or Lightbringers.

Upgrading Lightbringers instead of building religious disciples gives them a free Sentry promotion, but that it about it. You can also build them sooner and so let them start gaining xp sooner, but once you meet the prereqs for other disiples that doesn't matter much. If you want to get a lot if disciples quickly you could build lightbringers in all cities, and then move them to the one city where you have a temple of whatever religion to upgrade them.

(Frankly, I don't see much of a point in still having the Lightbringer as a seperate unit. In my version I got rid of it, and made Lightbringers the Malakim Vicar UU, which is basically a Vicar wiht Sentry and Sun II.)

jst give them a civ trait called Alert, giving Sentry to all disciples

In the original post in this thread, it says Lightbringers can be upgraded to arcane units. Im playing Malakim right now. I have a Lightbringer in a city with mage guild. There is no upgrade button to adept. What is wrong?

Top Bottom