MAP development

I made a map of our world's borders. I don't know if it will be of use for someone or something but I'll post it anyway. I didn't ink all the tiny islands...it's just to have something to show when discussing matters.

Attachments

• mapw2k9.gif
    mapw2k9.gif
    25.6 KB · Views: 198
Who is in control of the Panama Canal, actually? Is it a minor state?

Good question. It used to be the USA, but now I think I remember reading that China controls it? We'll have to do some research.

I don't think it should be minor, because people should be able to use it.

Great map BTW, thanks.

re: Panama

so the state of Panama now controls it, but leases it to a Chinese corporation. If they have troops/bases there, I think we should give it to China. I'm still looking into this. If not, I have no idea. Hard one.

dear god no, the UU/UB boys will have our heads!

its wholly independent, no chinease troops on Panamanian soil, AFAIK Panama still maintains very close relations with the USA, seeing as how critical the canal is for US Trade and Naval movements.

EDIT: hanks for creating that map ianinsame, really gives youan idea of how the world will look, and it looks goooooood 8)

I made a map of our world's borders. I don't know if it will be of use for someone or something but I'll post it anyway. I didn't ink all the tiny islands...it's just to have something to show when discussing matters.

Nice map dude, I've been waiting for someone to post something like this :thumbsup:

Oh yeah... if you want Panama as a civ... :trouble:

its wholly independent, no chinease troops on Panamanian soil, AFAIK Panama still maintains very close relations with the USA, seeing as how critical the canal is for US Trade and Naval movements.

EDIT: hanks for creating that map ianinsame, really gives youan idea of how the world will look, and it looks goooooood 8)

Yes looks like it. I do remember an uproar among right wing Americans when they finally had to pull troops out (around 1999) and a Chinese company took control.

But seeing as China doesn't have troops there, and so far they haven't tried to build bases overseas at all the way the US does (as far as I can find), it doesn't make sense to give it to them.

hmm, what to do, what to do. Hopefully Genghis will bail us out with some great idea. ;):D

Should we just make it a minor nation as suggested earlier, and let all civs start with open borders with that civ? This way when someone invades a minor nation, they will lose access to the canal, which will work as an added punishment along with negative relationship points. However, this will obviously also have the result of allowing all civs the ability to move troops freely through all minor nations. Do we want that? Doesn't sound bad to me, minor nations isn't going to be quite as big as I originally feared it would have to be.

Should we just make it a minor nation as suggested earlier, and let all civs start with open borders with that civ? This way when someone invades a minor nation, they will lose access to the canal, which will work as an added punishment along with negative relationship points. However, this will obviously also have the result of allowing all civs the ability to move troops freely through all minor nations. Do we want that? Doesn't sound bad to me, minor nations isn't going to be quite as big as I originally feared it would have to be.

I think thats the best way, I mean what else would Panama be? Panama is a minor nation that happens to have a major canal located in it.

Yes, but it is a question of civ4 functionality. If we do it that way, we have to consider other factors; unless I'm missing something about how the minor nations civ works... once you go to war with any minor nation, your civ with never be able to get access to the canal again. (unless the city is captured by you or another civ). So this means in China invades Thailand for example, or the EU the Balkans, they will permanently lose access.

Since it is so crucial, we may want to consider making it a one city civ of its own, a vassal of either the USA or China. (this one would be unplayable and wouldn't need a UB or UU, don't worry guys!)

Either of these are viable solutions imo, we just have to decide how we prefer it to work.

Or, Genghis Kai may have something completely different in mind. We shall see.

Yes looks like it. I do remember an uproar among right wing Americans when they finally had to pull troops out (around 1999) and a Chinese company took control.

But seeing as China doesn't have troops there, and so far they haven't tried to build bases overseas at all the way the US does (as far as I can find), it doesn't make sense to give it to them.

hmm, what to do, what to do. Hopefully Genghis will bail us out with some great idea. ;):D
The company is a Hong Kong company, Hitchson Whampoa Limited, a listed company, controlled by the richest man in Hong Kong. IT REALLY HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MAINLAND CHINESE GOVERNMENT, which was wrongly reported by most western media.

I think this is the way to go, making it minor. Just as a reminder, have we already looked at how to make those special features in diplomacy for the Minor states, Neutral states and Failed states?

The map looks great :goodjob:

I am going to post some screenshots soon.

which was wrongly reported by most western media.

Impossible! :lol: j/k

thanks for clearing that up.

Just as a reminder, have we already looked at how to make those special features in diplomacy for the Minor states, Neutral states and Failed states?

Remind me, which diplomacy features are you referring to?

Impossible! :lol: j/k

thanks for clearing that up.
Being in Hong Kong, I am gracious to be able to read news from both English and Chinese sources freely. You know, there really are BIG differences some time. ;)

Remind me, which diplomacy features are you referring to?

Say for Neutral States, no declaration of war is possible; Failed States, no peace is possible and minor states, both peace and war are possible. And in all three cases, there are no diplomacy (trade resource, technology gold etc) just like the default minor nations in CIV.

Middle East, Western Europe, Eastern Europe, Central Asia, East Asia

Taiwan Strait, Carribean, North America, South Asia, West Africa

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    383.7 KB · Views: 561
  • Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    402.3 KB · Views: 450
  • Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    433.9 KB · Views: 425