Map Request: Please Read

Gen. Rommel

Wüstenfuchs
I wasn't quite sure where this should go so I figured the best place would be the forum section dealing with maps in general. The mods can obviously move it if it's out of place. Sorry in advance if it IS wrong. :crazyeye:

Might as well introduce my request. I was hoping someone could do a regionally specific map of Germany for me so that I can create the scenario I've decided to undertake. I mean to make this a truly enjoyable scenario and will invest much time and effort to make it fun and foremostly playable. I've already taken a wack at map-making before and have been somewhat effective at reproducing maps as long as they were restricted to a smaller scale. But in the case of this scenario, I need something bigger which I wasn't able to reproduce very good, which is the reason for this thread.

This is the area of land I need entailed in the map:

Since the scale of that map is 750x1050, I figured a good scale for the game map would be 75x105. Preferred would be a complete transfer of all countries on that map because some of them will play key roles in the scenario (e.g. France, Denmark, Austria, etc.).

As it's most likely no secret now, the scenario will be spanning the complete Bismarckian era and encompass the complete unifying of Germany as well as other key events that took place during this time period. I have some really great ideas for this scenario already and will be extremely critical on accurately portraying alll (or at least most) details so that all history buffs will be satisfied with my work. But that of course does not mean I will slouch on the gameplay department. I plan to create a scenario specific techtree, possibly get unique leaderheads for all civs, and of course add lots of new and unique units.

As soon as I get an accurate map encompassing this landmass, I can get started on this project. I hope that someone will take up my request and more importantly, I hope general interest for this scenario has been somewhat aroused seeing as this time period is truly important in Germany's time scale as well as later effects this would have on the world.

Danke für eure Zeit!

Main Civ 3 forum ;)

Also, a cropping of a large world map would make it about that size.

View -> Grid Coordinates (jot down the coordinates that you want, but try to leave a little excess space, just in case).

F12- enter your Coordinates.

Done :)

Thanks for moving the thread Plotinus! ;)

I must admit, I'm still confused about the whole cropping of the map. Call me thick-headed but if I understood correctly, I first have to find a map of Europe big enough to crop my map from, correct? But that poses a problem because I can't find a single Europe map big enough to crop down to 75x105 pixels. If of course I was just too stupid to properly understand possibly simple instructions, please let me hear the dummy's guide for cropping maps. :D

Looks like a great idea for a scenario. I've always contemplated making something like this... love 18th/19th century German/Austrian history.

I doubt cropping will do you any good in your case. I like the idea for the scenario, something I've been thinking about myself a few times.

Technically I could make the map, but I'm working on something else at the moment. If you don't solve your problem, and still wants to do it, I can probably help you in the future. ;)

Sounds like a good idea Yoda Power! Since I'm currently working on my Sengoku-jidai scenario and mod, I figure will get finished about the same time. I'll continue to try at it (from scratch) but if all fails, I hope you'll take up the request. Just tell me when your ready to start, or rather, just start and then post it here. :goodjob:

TopGun69 said:
Looks like a great idea for a scenario. I've always contemplated making something like this... love 18th/19th century German/Austrian history.

Indeed a fascinating era! I can't wait to get started on it to be honest.

Yes. Very fascinating!

Hey Rommel, by the way, Bratwurst, is that right next to Leberkäs?

on a more serious note... *ahem*
I may have a map (biq file) of Germany, Austria and part of Northern Italy somewhere on my hard drive. I started working on it for an "Ostkolonisation" scenario, but never finished it. If I remember correctly, I have all the coastlines and the major rivers in there already. No mountains, nor hills, nor cities. But it might be a good starting point for you. Interested?

I must admit, I'm still confused about the whole cropping of the map. Call me thick-headed but if I understood correctly, I first have to find a map of Europe big enough to crop my map from, correct? But that poses a problem because I can't find a single Europe map big enough to crop down to 75x105 pixels.
You're probably right about not finding a big enough map. These are roughly the steps I used to make the MesoAmerica map for SoG. They sound more complicated than they really are.

1) Find a map made for c3 of Europe or the world that you like. It should be as large as you can find, but don't worry about the exact size.

2) Open the map in MapTweaker.
  • Turn off the terrain graphics & the map grid so you've got a map that's only blotches of pure color.
  • Make sure the whole area you want is visible on the screen.
  • Take a screen shot.
3) Open the screenshot in your favorite graphics program.
  • Crop the image to a square (the next step requires a square bitmap) that includes the area you want plus a little extra.
  • Adjust the size of the image so that the square is 140x140 pixels (since you want to end up with a map 105 wide). Or grab just the area you want as a 100x100 square if you are willing to end up with a map 5 tiles shorter.
  • Do what you need to match the colors on the map image to the palette required in the next step (Bmp2Bic includes the needed palette for comparison).
  • Save as a bitmap.
4) Use Bmp2Bic to convert the squared image to a civ map.

5) Open in the Civ Editor for final adjustments, like cropping, adding rivers, etc.

Sounds like a lot of steps, but it's faster than making a map from scratch. Both MapTweaker and Bmp2Bic have discussion threads and readme files.

Another way to get your initial image is to start with an image of either a relief or terrain-use map of the area you want and adjust the palette to the requirements of Bmp2Bic. I'm currently doing that for a map of Greater India, but believe me, starting from a biq or bic is far faster even though it involves using another utility.

Yes. Very fascinating!

Hey Rommel, by the way, Bratwurst, is that right next to Leberkäs?

Well that depends...are you referring to 'Leberkäs an Senf' or 'Leberkäs an Brötchen'? I live near the latter! :crazyeye: (for those not as ******ed as me, I live in Düsseldorf, Germany)

TopGun69 said:
on a more serious note... *ahem*
I may have a map (biq file) of Germany, Austria and part of Northern Italy somewhere on my hard drive. I started working on it for an "Ostkolonisation" scenario, but never finished it. If I remember correctly, I have all the coastlines and the major rivers in there already. No mountains, nor hills, nor cities. But it might be a good starting point for you. Interested?

Indeed, that sounds very promising. I would be greatly thankful if you could send me that map. I'll take a look at it and see if it has the proper space I would need for the map. The area you refer to sounds promising though! :goodjob:

Blue Monkey said:
Sounds like a lot of steps, but it's faster than making a map from scratch.

Man, I have to thank you! That's exactly the kind of step-for-step dummy's guide I meant. I'll try my luck at it and see if it works out. I'll post my progress soon...

Well that depends...are you referring to 'Leberkäs an Senf' or 'Leberkäs an Brötchen'? I live near the latter! :crazyeye: (for those not as ******ed as me, I live in Düsseldorf, Germany)

I was talking about 'Leberkäs an der Brezel' ... I spent six years of my life in Stuttgart, Germany. ;)

Indeed, that sounds very promising. I would be greatly thankful if you could send me that map. I'll take a look at it and see if it has the proper space I would need for the map. The area you refer to sounds promising though!

I'll look for it when I get home tonight.

I was talking about 'Leberkäs an der Brezel' ... I spent six years of my life in Stuttgart, Germany. ;)

Ohhh, clumsy me, totally forgot about 'Leberkäs and der Brezel'! And to think I live only two cities away from it! :blush:

I'd definitely appreciate it if you could send me the map. In the mean time, I'll try to construct my own.

By the way, what brought you to Germany for six years....I lived in the U.S. for 11 years (felt I needed to add that for some reason :confused:).

Man, I have to thank you! That's exactly the kind of step-for-step dummy's guide I meant. I'll try my luck at it and see if it works out. I'll post my progress soon...
You're very welcome. Because of your response and others' encouragement I think I'm going to work on a map-making tutorial.

here is my unfinished map...

What brought me to Stuttgart? I went to college there. :)
And hey, I know Düsseldorf... been there several times. Great beer. :beer:

Top Bottom