[Map Script] SmartMap

Xanikk999 said:
Can someone please help me with my problem?

I don't have this problem and I use this Map Script all the time. I don't know what would cause that or even how I could reproduce having no flood plains. I get flood plains in plains, and grassland all the time, a lot more flood plains than regular civ 4 maps.

I never get floodplains either. I've been fiddling with a few settings but common themes are:
size: std -> huge
climate: temperate -or- tropical
sealevel: medium
era: ancient
continents: ~ random 3-8
terrain: standard -or- extra grass
features: smartmap
bonuses: smartmap normal
goodies: smartmap normal
ocean: normal
hills: normal
peaks: few
forest/jungle: normal forest/light jungle
river/lake: many rivers/normal lakes
start placement: smartmap
wrap: x
no overrides

i use smartmap random options for everything, and with myself and 1 other person we always get OOS after loading... anyone know about this?

GiantGuineaPig said:
i use smartmap random options for everything, and with myself and 1 other person we always get OOS after loading... anyone know about this?

Do you use any other mods? SmartMap really shouldn't be able to cause out of sync problems ... once the map is generated and copied to all users, smartmap is no longer active. Many people have reported success using SmartMap for multiplayer, do you have better luck if instead of all random options you choose all the default options?

If you are not the Administrator of the computer, you get a Python error while loading the map. I did not write down all the whole traceback (or save my python log) before trying to fix it, but it was line 3414 saying "Permission Denied".

I fixed it for myself by replacing every 'smartmap84.cfg' with "C:\\Documents and Settings\\Owner\\My Documents\\My Games\\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\\PublicMaps\\smartmap84.cfg". Replace "Owner" with your user name.

You can probably use Dr. Elmer Jiggle's CvPath.py (part of many mods here) to fix it in a way that works for everyone.

Gaurav said:
If you are not the Administrator of the computer, you get a Python error while loading the map. I did not write down all the whole traceback (or save my python log) before trying to fix it, but it was line 3414 saying "Permission Denied".

I fixed it for myself by replacing every 'smartmap84.cfg' with "C:\\Documents and Settings\\Owner\\My Documents\\My Games\\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\\PublicMaps\\smartmap84.cfg". Replace "Owner" with your user name.

You can probably use Dr. Elmer Jiggle's CvPath.py (part of many mods here) to fix it in a way that works for everyone.

Thanks, I'm surprised no one else has pointed that out.

ive noticed a few flaws in your script when i try a islands game with all grass terrain the islands dont spawn close togher so i have to wait till the renissence era to start a war

why is this

Karl Townsend said:
ive noticed a few flaws in your script when i try a islands game with all grass terrain the islands dont spawn close togher so i have to wait till the renissence era to start a war

why is this

try setting sea level to low, or using the separation override control. if you are using a medium or high sea level, it will force each island to be separated from all other islands by at least one ocean tile (medium) or three ocean tiles (high), both of which will make island hopping impossible until galleon.

Great map script! :goodjob:

Btw I'm wondering what are the corresponding percentages for small/normal/big ocean and few/normal/many hills & peaks?

M@ni@c said:
Great map script! :goodjob:

Btw I'm wondering what are the corresponding percentages for small/normal/big ocean and few/normal/many hills & peaks?

small ocean = 50-75% random
normal ocean = 65-85% random
large ocean = 80-95% random

few hills = 10-17% random
normal hills = 14-27% random
many hills = 18-37% random

few peaks = 2-7% random
normal peaks = 4-11% random
many peaks = 6-15% random

I've been using you script for a long time now surt, and it works great but I have a few questions and comments for you today. :)

Just so you know, I usually use "somewhat round - some fragments" for my land style with 4-12 continents, high seas and (number 3) frequent coastal crossings seperation override (so that foreign contacts using Galleys are possible before the discovery of Optics).

I am wondering, would something the size of say, Britain or Australia be considered islands or continents by your script? What are you thoughts on settings to use so that I can get more medium or large islands along with the normal continents?

Also, could you increase the fish/crab/clam percentages? I like to use coastal starts but oftentimes there aren't any of them to use at my starting location (if any). I think that 2 of them would be a good minimum.

Finally, could you add an option to increase the bonuses ALOT, where you could get resources just about anywhere? Sure it isn't realistic, but it would be alot of fun. I imagine it would be pretty easy to add. You could call the option "Smartmap Crazy" (or something).

Thanks and I'm looking forward to your response! :goodjob:

surt said:
Thanks, I'm surprised no one else has pointed that out.

LPU (Least Priveleged User) bugs are commonly overlooked in Windows because everyone is an Administrator by default. Which results in many programs not working unless you are an Administrator. Which keeps people from changing that default, and viruses and spyware in business...

Civilization 4 is actually one of the best games I've seen out there regarding this issue. But there are still problems with mods put in the user MODS directory, even with the most recent patch.

So I am not at all surprised.

Xanikk999 said:
For some reason whenever i use smart map and under the terrain option choose "smartmap" i dont get any flood plains at all.

It says it makes flood plains more realistic in the read me for smart map with that option. But i looked on world builder and i didnt see ANY flood plains with that option.

I think this is a bug or something or maybe its negated by another option?
I've been noticing this lately as well. I can't remember exactly which settings I was using... perhaps: arid, 75% ocean, some random continents, Smartmap Strict Features, Clump both resources, High forest/Low jungle, High rivers/Low lakes, somewhat round/some fragments... sheesh, too many settings ;-)

I didn't really think much of it, but unless this is enough info, I'll poke around some more and see if I can reproduce the problem.

I think the problem with this is that my script does produce fewer flood plains than the standard scripts. My script will more often 'promote' a desert to plains or grass if a river runs through it, rather than add a flood plains.

That said, I will increase the odds of getting floodplains in deserts with rivers, as the general scripts do seem to offer higher odds of having this happen.

Also, for people using the non-strict option, realize that you will be getting some of your floodplains on non-desert tiles.

Rabbit_Alex said:
I've been using you script for a long time now surt, and it works great but I have a few questions and comments for you today. :)

Just so you know, I usually use "somewhat round - some fragments" for my land style with 4-12 continents, high seas and (number 3) frequent coastal crossings seperation override (so that foreign contacts using Galleys are possible before the discovery of Optics).

I am wondering, would something the size of say, Britain or Australia be considered islands or continents by your script? What are you thoughts on settings to use so that I can get more medium or large islands along with the normal continents?

Also, could you increase the fish/crab/clam percentages? I like to use coastal starts but oftentimes there aren't any of them to use at my starting location (if any). I think that 2 of them would be a good minimum.

Finally, could you add an option to increase the bonuses ALOT, where you could get resources just about anywhere? Sure it isn't realistic, but it would be alot of fun. I imagine it would be pretty easy to add. You could call the option "Smartmap Crazy" (or something).

Thanks and I'm looking forward to your response! :goodjob:

You probably want to go with more continents and (maybe) a higher fragment level. This will build many small land masses, but join some of them, so that you will see more variety in the range of continent sizes.

I will add an option for even higher resource levels. I've also been thinking about adding a resource option where resource placement is not restricted by the usual rules, so that will likely get added soon. Interestingly enough, crazy was the name I was planning for it. There will be a similar option for terrain as well.

Sorry for the delay in the next version, I know this has been somewhat longer than usual. I've been pushing some extra hours with work that hasn't left me much time for SmartMap.

As a teaser: I've also started in on a rather significant new feature, that I think people will really like. I'm slowly refining it, so in another few days (maybe over the weekend) I'll be able to finish and release it.

Love the MapScript. Question, however. I play Temperate, SmartMap Strict Features, yet I never seem to get any flood plains. All I get are Desert/River tiles. Is this normal? I thought SmartMap Strict only generated tiles that are generated in the normal game? I've never seen Desert/River in the normal game.

Again, thanks for all your hard work!

HeadHoncho

When I play Tropical I get plenty of floodplains, including flooded grass (which makes a mighty fine place for a Cottage). Sometimes I even get flooded hills, whatever those might be. I'm guessing that the reduced number of desert squares means the floodplains have to go somewhere else. Once in a great while I will have a resource on the floodplain.

Top Bottom