[Map Script] SmartMap

Officer Reene said:
I love your work Surt! :goodjob:

any way to get rid of those pesky jungles and have a no jungle option added?

like Normal Forests, no jungle

I think jungles are useless anyway ;)

I second this. Add an option for Jungle and no Forests too.

ahh..

I found a way around it....

I just modified the production numbers where you get something for chopping down jungles
(since all they cause is unhealthiness near cities - well besides the defense bonus)

I made it not as much as forests but thatis okay ;)

so I this change will work for me :D

I like the variety of maps SmartMap produces. But I have a question does this script place special resources such as manna nodes from Fall from Heaven 2?

XplorR said:
I like the variety of maps SmartMap produces. But I have a question does this script place special resources such as manna nodes from Fall from Heaven 2?

It should. It places resources from a variety of other mods, I've not tried Fall from heaven 1/2 specifically. It should place any normally added resource, but may not now how heavy a distribution such a resource is supposed to have.

It definitely works with FfH1/2. I think that the resource weighting is done somewhere outside the mapscript, my guess would be where the resources themselves are defined... I say that because previous versions of FfH had some problems with specific resource distribution, but that was fixed internally by the team.

I use this all the time with FfH, it works quite well!

surt, one thing, as a quality of life.. some of your percentage driven numbers still don't have a marker to show where the "default" is. Oceans, for example. It would be nice if to add notes that would be(similar to the Map Override options).. 70%(Earth Default), or 80%(Archipeligo Default) and the like.. just so we know out markers are and can adjust accordingly.

Cheers!

Hey, first off great work. I love Smart Map and have used it for several versions now. I was excited to see the new version has a customized Earth map, and started playing it right away. It's a great idea and it's really impressive, but my one complaint is that the game places civilizations in Anarctica. I wanted to do a New World map so everyone started in Europe, Asia, or Africa, with the Americas ready to colonize. But the problem is with civilizations starting in Anarctica is it is really an unfair advantage because the Artic is far less fertile of land, and furthermore, it's really irritating that the civilizations starting in the Arctic "circumnavigate the globe" in like 2000 BC because they live on land that extends across the entire globe. There has to be a way you can make it so that nobody starts on Anarctica. I think that would make the game much more fair and more fun. I personally don't really see the need for even putting land in Anarctica since it is really only tundra that nobody lives on. So far, that's my only complaint about the new SmartMap, but overall, great job again. Keep it up.

any way to fix the antarctica problem? its driving me crazy... I just don't want anyone to start there, or at least I don't want it to be able to walk across the entire globe because of the land on the continent... I've tried a ton of different options and none have worked, I think the earth feature is an awesome idea for a map but the antarctica problem really kinda defeats the purpose of it...

bonafide11 said:
any way to fix the antarctica problem? its driving me crazy... I just don't want anyone to start there, or at least I don't want it to be able to walk across the entire globe because of the land on the continent... I've tried a ton of different options and none have worked, I think the earth feature is an awesome idea for a map but the antarctica problem really kinda defeats the purpose of it...

As a temporary work around, you can do this if you're willing to edit your local copy of the map script:

A tiny change, look for:

PHP:
	#the whole earth
	elif continentCount == -30:
		fromMap = True
		sourceData = blueMarbleHeightData
		minXPct = 0
		minYPct = 0
		maxXPct = 100
		maxYPct = 100
change to:

PHP:
	#the whole earth
	elif continentCount == -30:
		fromMap = True
		sourceData = blueMarbleHeightData
		minXPct = 0
		minYPct = 15
		maxXPct = 100
		maxYPct = 100

This will crop out the bottom 15% of the map, removing all of the antarctic land.

This may in fact be what I go with to address this issue in the next version.

Alright, I just edited it and tried it out, works perfect! No land at all in Antarctica and everything else seems great, thanks again and great work!

Hi Surt
Another one using your smartmap.
I really like it, it extends the lifetime of the game alot.
I just have a request like so many others, which you actually in a way already have made.
It's about the strategic resources. It would be nice to be able to limit their numbers a bit. E.g. 20%. Then the maps would be a bit like earth, where there is'nt e.g. Uranium i all areas. It would force more nations to trade and sometimes make nations more or less powerful.
I think the best way would be that you in the smartmap sets the number for e.g. uranium to e.g. 14 and the programme would then dispurse 14 uranium tiles.
I don't know if it possible or difficult to add.

Thanks a lot
michaelhss

michaelhss said:
Hi Surt
Another one using your smartmap.
I really like it, it extends the lifetime of the game alot.
I just have a request like so many others, which you actually in a way already have made.
It's about the strategic resources. It would be nice to be able to limit their numbers a bit. E.g. 20%. Then the maps would be a bit like earth, where there is'nt e.g. Uranium i all areas. It would force more nations to trade and sometimes make nations more or less powerful.
I think the best way would be that you in the smartmap sets the number for e.g. uranium to e.g. 14 and the programme would then dispurse 14 uranium tiles.
I don't know if it possible or difficult to add.

Thanks a lot
michaelhss

I am working on splitting the resource placement rules from the resource frequency rules, which will allow the next version to give you a lot more control over how many resources are placed. I will also have a look at what tweaks I can make possible for those who still don't wind up happy with the resource placement options.

Resource placement and amounts is a very contentious subject. People like a wide range of very different things, and it isn't possible to please everyone on this subject, but i'm giving it a big upgrade in the next version to at least try.

Im still getting the problem of civilizations placement

(my bro too since we are playing in MP)

all civs start near each other where human players get "boxed" in early... but there are lots of empty areas of land around the AI Civs

I am using the 9.0 version

playing on pagea (large single land mass)

large map

(XY override)

12-15 Civs

health clump

just thought you'd want to hear about it?

any other peeps getting this problem with the new version?

Officer Reene said:
Im still getting the problem of civilizations placement

(my bro too since we are playing in MP)

all civs start near each other where human players get "boxed" in early... but there are lots of empty areas of land around the AI Civs

I am using the 9.0 version

playing on pagea (large single land mass)

large map

(XY override)

12-15 Civs

health clump

just thought you'd want to hear about it?

any other peeps getting this problem with the new version?

Any chance you could get me a savegame with this problem? I really can't guess how this is happening, the player placement doesn't know if you're a human or an AI, it ought to be completely fair.

surt said:
Any chance you could get me a savegame with this problem? I really can't guess how this is happening, the player placement doesn't know if you're a human or an AI, it ought to be completely fair.

sorry :(

already erased those games...

Im working on a new mod... (should be finished for beta testing later today)

I'll try smartmap with the new mod and report back my results ;)

thanks for your response

this script is :king:

I'm getting closer to finishing 9.1. A nice new feature that I just got working is that it can now load any civ4WorldBuilderSave (WBS) file, and use that as the shape of the land (so for example, you can load the Eastern United States map to get an eastern united states shaped map). But in an added bit of coolness, you'll be able to get that map scaled to any size you want, rather than being set at the size given by the WBS. So rather than be stuck with eastern US being 55x51, you can have it be 128x64, or whatever size or shape you'd like.

It will also automatically notice any downloaded maps you have in your public maps folder, so if, for example, you were to download KR's big earth map, you could use that as the map shape as well.

All in all I think this is one of the neater features I've ever added, I think people will really find a lot of uses for this.

Top Bottom