[Map Script] SmartMap

headhoncho said:
Love the MapScript. Question, however. I play Temperate, SmartMap Strict Features, yet I never seem to get any flood plains. All I get are Desert/River tiles. Is this normal? I thought SmartMap Strict only generated tiles that are generated in the normal game? I've never seen Desert/River in the normal game.

Again, thanks for all your hard work!

HeadHoncho

Strict means that it will only place tile combinations that civiv reports are legal, and civiv says that river/desert is legal.

That said, I will be changing it to make more deserts with rivers into floods.

Note the glorious floodplains/ice, the verdant hills/oasis/plains/freshwater cow, the friendly coastal deer.

You too will be able to enjoy such crazy maps over your memorial day weekend, with the soon forthcoming SmartMap 9.0

This is just to preview one of the new features: crazy
crazy terrain: placing all terrain randomly, so you get this wierd mix of desert, plains, snow, all in the same place!
crazy resources: places resources anywhere civiv will let it, yielding fun things like the coastal deer, or landbound whales
crazy features: jungle on snow, forest in the desert, oasis in the grassland hills, etc.

and of course as usual, you can use only the particular crazy options you want, in whatever combination you want.

Here's the feature I think a lot of civers will really love.

You can now select earth, north america, south america, africa, asia, australia, and europe as your land form (in the continents menu). You can generate them to any size, including custom sizes using the override width/height controls. Accuracy improves all the way to 600x300 (the limit of the source data). Of course, i've only generated a 256x128 as my largest test (biggest that will fit in 1Gig of memory for me). These pictures were taken on standard size maps.

The source data for these maps comes from nasa's blue marble imagery, so the land forms are highly accurate.

In the next minor update i'll include an option for taking source terrain from blue marble data also, for now you have to stick with the usual choices of random terrain generation.

On the front page now! Enjoy the fun over the weekend!
I left version8.7 there also, just in case there are any problems.

# 9.0
# New land layout: earth. Selecting this will generate the earth, with source data
# from a blue marble projection. This is a highly accurate earth layout, with peaks
# and hills somewhat fuzzed to make for a more playable map.
# Also added: north america, south america, africa, europe, asia, australia
# All of the new maps are based on blue marble data, and so are going to be more accurate
# than they are going to be strategically well designed, and resource placement will
# be random rather than historically accurate. The current version will also have
# generated terrain, but the next version will probably include an option to use
# terrain sampled from blue marble data.
# New resource placement options: very many (places a _lot_ of resources), crazy, and
# crazy many. The crazy options place resources on any workable tile. This makes for
# a rather different gameplay experience.
# New terrain placement option: crazy which will place terrains randomly.
# New feature placement option: crazy which will place features randomly.
# Protected read / write of the smartmap config file so file errors won't cause a script
# error, and moved the config file to the user dir, which should help people not playing
# as admin on windows.
# Improved odds of generating flood plains in desert river tiles.
# Changed the grid infos to be compatible with mods with arbitrary number of map sizes, which
# will make smartmap compatible with mods that have more than the usual number of map sizes.
# This change also makes SmartMap maps closer to the usual size.
# Improved speed for calculating the altitude of plots on very land heavy maps.
# Call the python garbage collector and clean up memory usage to allow larger maps. I can
# now generate maps somewhere around 10% larger than before. I can now generate a map
# with twice the area of the usual huge, and start it on my 1G computer.
# Base CivIV = 200M, 280x84, 65% ocean = 500M, 280x84 0% ocean = 700M, that's roughly
# 13K or so per additional land tile allocated by CivIV, so keep that in mind when
# deciding on your ocean levels.
# Fixed a bug that tried to place continents too close to the map edges some times.
# Fixed a bug with regenerate map that occurs if you load a first turn savegame and then
# immediately try to regenerate it, thanks skovran for the report.
# Cleaned up code in player placement, improved speed.
# Added catches to player placement to prevent overlapping starts. If an
# overlapping start is somehow generated (a bug reported a couple of times),
# it will now fallback to standard placement mode. I'm unsure how an overlapping start
# can ever happen in the first place, but this should really guarantee it is impossible
# for it to get through and actually place the players that way.
# Fixed a bug that would sometimes misjudge whether or not to place additional players
# on a large continent.
# Improved the way continents are calculated to be more accurate in certain cases around
# blocking peaks, and improved performance.

You are truly a coding hero.

About to take 9.0 for a spin in MP with SevoMod 2.9z

I wonder if I was still playing this game if it wasn't for this wonderful modding community.

Thanks for the update Surt, I will check it out. I just got through a marathon monarch game with a space race victory in 1720 on a map generated by smartmap. Best score ever for me, 20040! The map was totaly random options and it's hieght was 5 times longer than it's width, so VERY skinny map. But it was fun, it made 6 continents for 18 civs and they were all pretty evenly balanced, accept the one furthest south was kinda jammed against the map edge. Glad to see you did a fix for that. Anyway, I will check out 9.0 and let you know how it goes. Keep up the great work!

EDIT: Starting a new Marathon Monarch game, attaching screenshot of settings, 18 civs, gonna play Civmore this time and try for a religious victory, will let you know how it goes :D

Attachments

• Randomness0000.JPG
    Randomness0000.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 139
i found a bug or just might be a one off

pretty sure its self explaing

this one was taken in world builder

and another crazy one

this only does it with yur crazy and Very crazy resource opyion

Karl Townsend said:
and another crazy one

this only does it with yur crazy and Very crazy resource opyion

That would be the point of the crazy resource option. Resources can land anywhere. Sea resources on land and land on sea can't be 'used' but they affect the tiles food/production/commerce.

yea but we can harvest them to there full potentional and it looks just plain stupid

Maybe you can call this option SmartMap Silly and make another one for SmartMap Crazy.

Also, I would like to request an option for Many Rivers, No Lakes

surt, what is the difference between very many, crazy many and crazy? Sorry if this has been answered already. I haven't been able to try the new version yet.

Thanks

Rabbit_Alex said:
surt, what is the difference between very many, crazy many and crazy? Sorry if this has been answered already. I haven't been able to try the new version yet.

Thanks

very many = lots of resources placed normally
crazy = resources placed wherever
crazy many = lots of resources placed wherever

In the next version I'm going to separate out the resource placement rules from the resource placement amounts.

Nyte Ryder said:
So ive downloaded the file but where do i save it? Do isave it in a certain location or sumthin?

Detailed instructions are in the accompanying readme file, but basically put smartmap.py in your:

where_ever_you_installed_Civ4\PublicMaps\

directory.

Then select smartmap under custom game.

I love your work Surt! :goodjob:

any way to get rid of those pesky jungles and have a no jungle option added?

like Normal Forests, no jungle

I think jungles are useless anyway ;)

Top Bottom