[Map Script] Tectonics

Updated to version 3.6.
There are mostly 2 new features:
-Mediterreanean map option. This creates an inner sea with lands to the south and north. It is always possible to cross the sea by foot and/or trireme, though you'll have to go to the eastern border of the map to be sure of it.
-No ice option: This option is actually quite simple: It reuses the script default climate option and then replaces all tundra by grass and all ice by tundra.

For those who had problems, this script works fine with Warlords, and with the (great) Fall from Heaven II mod with Vanilla civ IV.

Cool!

I noticed that the Med option doesn't set the map latitudes, so that the default latitude range gets used for features, resources, etc.

Yes, it would probably be a good idea to set up an option to pick your latitude when using the Med. option. Something as simple (for the user) as polar, temperate & tropical would suffice, IMO.

Hi,

I tried your script with FfH and I really like the concept and the realistic landscapes it creates! However, there is a tendency to generate huge 'great plains' on large parts of the map, which can be a little bit boring gameplay- and flavourwise. Oh and I think there tend to be few rivers, especially larger ones, too.

So I wondered, wouldn't it be possible to make a compromise of the global scale features your script generates and some medium or small scall variety and randomness more like in vanilla (maybe changeable via options)? Maybe just by adding some additional random clusters of terrain (e.g. hills, deserts, grasslands, biger lakes etc.) on top of the original tectonics map?

This might very well become my favourite script :goodjob:

The Mediterreanean maps looks good, but i think it should have a bit more land on the Eastern edge, right now it usualy just makes a few islands, and also snow covered forests are appearing on the southern part of the map near the desert.

I think I'll be adding more land to the east of the Mediterranean script indeed, it's not that fun with islands because you need ships and ai's don't seem to explore as much with triremes/galleys as would be needed in order to make contact with other civs.
And yes, the climate is not used in the Mediterranean map, but I could in fact slide the latitude depending on user input. I am a bit dubious how user input can be taken here. I can reuse the arid/normal/wet/no ice setting, but it's not exactly what I'd want here, but I don't think I can put another option cleanly instead.

Another thing, maybe add a few bigger islands in the middle of the map

LDiCesare said:
I think I'll be adding more land to the east of the Mediterranean script indeed, it's not that fun with islands because you need ships and ai's don't seem to explore as much with triremes/galleys as would be needed in order to make contact with other civs.
And yes, the climate is not used in the Mediterranean map, but I could in fact slide the latitude depending on user input. I am a bit dubious how user input can be taken here. I can reuse the arid/normal/wet/no ice setting, but it's not exactly what I'd want here, but I don't think I can put another option cleanly instead.
More land east sounds excellent.

I'd be happy if you just hardcoded the map latitude to the range [25,65] consistent with your ClimateGenerator.getLatitudeAtPlot().

I think fenceman's island suggestion is worth considering both for Mediterranean-realism and to make the middle of the map more interesting.

I'm not sure whether the civs in the north have an advantage, but if they do and you don't want them to, you might try either forcing fewer civs to start in the south, or raising the entire south farther north.

Version 3.8 is out.
3.8 is 3.7 + fixing the bug in 3.6 where all maps would wrap on Y axis except mediterranean.
3.7 (thus 3.8) includes changes to the Mediterranean map script option:
North and south always connected in the East by land.
More/bigger islands.
Correct latitude (25-65) taken into account for feature generation.

Version 3.9 corrects a bug where forests would (almost) not appear on map types other than mediterranean.

I downloaded the 3.9 version, extracted to the public maps folder, and started a new game of Fall from Heaven. I selected Tectonics but it didn't give me the Mediterrean land mass or no ice options. What am I doing wrong?

I don't know what's wrong there. I forgot to add a line 3.9 in the py file but if you open it with an editor, you should see 3.8 and find some references to 'Mediterranean' inside the file. If not, then it's not the good file. I checked by downloading the zip and it looks good. It runs fine with FfH2.0.14 for me.

I figured it out and got it working, I had extracted it to the wrong publicmaps folder initially. Thanks for keeping this script updated, I use it almost exclusively for my games as I find it generates interesting game play.

I made a modified version of your script for FfH that redistributes the starting locations your script generated to have FfH civs start in the matching region flavorwise, see

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=183924

Let me know if you disagree with something, then I'll take it down.

You're welcome to modify and redistribute the script as you see fit. I just wonder whether the assignStartingPlot function I put inside causes conflict with anything you wrote beneath?

Thanks!

No, I only use normalizeStartingLocations (or something, can't look up the name right now), which is called after everything else and normally is used to put teammates close together. Basically, all I do is to redistribute the starting locations your script already assigned to the players, much like normalizeStartingLocations would do, but I don't consider teams (yet) but instead the flavor of the civs.

Of course, that means I have only as many locations to choose from as there are players in the game. So depending on that not everyone will get a nice spot (flavorwise), but it works well enough in my opinion.

using assignStartingPlot() would be more logical, but also much more messy. The good thing about the current implementation is that I can let the base script handle what it was written to, and do my thing afterwards. And, as almost no one uses normalizeStartingLocations, it's easy to add my modification to all kinds of other map scripts...

Has anyone else had the problem with this script where you don't get to select % water/lakes/Mediterranean?

I've gotten so used to it, it doesn't even phase me anymore, but it always shows up when I hit "BACK" after getting to the civ select screen, but rarely shows up the first time through. I just thought it was worth a mention. I prefer the 60% water maps... although to be honest, they seem to have more than 60% water. :p

This is the only script I use btw. Great work.

I have that too sometimes one of the option panels doesn't show. I really have no idea why or how (thus it's not fixed).
The 60% figure is very approximative indeed.

Nice -- I had no idea that this script was being continually updated. I will have to try out 3.9.

Does "mediterranean" map create a spherical map, or a flat one?

Top Bottom