Map Size Override Crash

Combat Wombat

Warlord
When I use Planet Generator or SmartMap and try to override the map size the game crashes when I try and start it. This is really starting to piss me off because even gigantic maps are far to small to be interesting anymore.. Using 2.8 but this also happened in the 2.8beta and 2.71. It is a clean install Civ4 except for Blue Marble.

Initializing then crash.. error window stays behind the game so I never get a good look at it but it is not a memory allocation error window or the memory error I get when I try to load a game with another one going.

Windows XP Pro 32bit
AMD Athlon X2
4gb ram(yes I know I can't use it all upgrading to 64bit 7 soon)
2x 8800GTS 640mb

Can provide a dxdiag if anyone thinks that might help.. getting ready to forsake Civ4 for good atm...

Well good to know I am not the only one with this problem I was starting think my computer is messed up in some way or that I incorrectly downloaded the torrent.

I used to get that. I found out it was caused by a problem/conflict with a soundblaster volume program that ran in the background. Switched it off, even though it didn't use much memory and everything worked perfectly.
Its worth switching off even little programs just in case and giving it a try.

I used to get that. I found out it was caused by a problem/conflict with a soundblaster volume program that ran in the background. Switched it off, even though it didn't use much memory and everything worked perfectly.
Its worth switching off even little programs just in case and giving it a try.

Nothing could be running in the background and it still does it

Mapscripts that do not have RoM_ prefix (ie. aren't specifically edited to work with RoM) probably won't work with Giant or Gigantic map sizes. RoM_Smartmap script should work...

I think the problem of giants and gigantic not working for me and wombat should be addressed. Zappara please check out what is causing our crashes I get the same one as wombat.

I can't say what the problem could specifically be, but when you installed the new version, did you clear out your cache folder? I'm just throwing that out there because that caused me some problems with many mods. I tend to completely delete the old version of the mod then install the new one.

Edit: Can you tell us your specific steps so we can try and duplicate the error? Maybe that may help as well.

Cache Folder?
If you're using WindowsXP its usually under C:\Documents and Settings\(Your Username)\Local Settings\Application Data\My Games\Beyond the Sword\cache
If you're using Vista, I'll have to get back to you on that.

Any clue for windows 7?
I need to do some studying on this subject now, so I'll get back to you in a few because I've personally never seen the file system on windows 7. You could try a search for a folder named "cache" and see if you find it before me if you want. Just make sure it belongs to civ iv first.

Well I am also trying to make the mod work on my other computer which is using windows 7 which file system is basically like vista's.
Of what I could find off of google is that the documents and settings folder is similar to Windows Vista, however when searching google, I couldn't find anything about where the cache folder for Civ IV sits in Windows 7 or Vista. My only suggestion at this point would assume to search for a folder called "My Games", then the subfolder should be "Beyond the Sword" then that subfolder should be "cache". If Civ IV writes the data on Vista and "7" like it does on XP, then it should be similar/the same.

Top Bottom