1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Map Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Team CivFanatics' started by YossarianLives, Sep 13, 2012.

1. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

Current Map Overview (Turn 54)
    Spoiler :

It’s probably a good idea to keep all our thoughts on the map in one thread for easier reference. I’m going to put a lot of links and quotes in this thread about our map and map speculation in general.

So here’s the most important quote; Plako’s stated Map Settings.

The most significant thing in here that adds to our discussion is that the Size is “Huge (game setting) – In reality something between 80-100 x 40-60.” That means the entire map has a total of between 3,200 – 6,000 tiles, probably somewhere in the middle. We know from the score mouseover that there are 2,868 land tiles in the map, meaning that there are between 332-3132 water tiles.

Here are some maps Plako has done in the past:
    Spoiler :
    I don’t think Plako put a spiral in our map, but interesting he did it for PB 8 and 17.

This is what we had said before about our assumed layout:
    Spoiler :

I'm not sure that's correct anymore, but I don't really have any better ideas right now. One thing we need to strongly consider is that we are on a continent and there are not necessarily land connections through all the wraps, but maybe we can sail south from a city in the tundra to get to the top row of cities.

And to finish off, I’m going to quote some long posts about possible map layouts from RB’s PB 4 game. Lord Parkin and Irgy did some pretty intensive map speculation in that thread, starting with Post #48:
    Spoiler :

Through Post #63:
    Spoiler :

With some pretty pictures in between:
    Spoiler :

And this is what that map actually looked like (warning: BIG picture):
    Spoiler :

Note: You can find the starts by looking for the Deer / Deer / Cow combinations

2. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

And here's some of the recent discussion about the map:

3. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

And here is a zoomed out screenshot of the entire map as we know it now.

Spoiler :

4. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

Figuring out whether that body of water to our West is a series of lakes or an Ocean will shed some light on whether we are on a grid or a web.

5. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

I drew in our mid-way points (the southern "midway point" would be where the first tile of fog is straight south from Indira) and some mountain and water boundaries on our overview map. We definitely do seem to have some natural choke points around the midway points.
    Spoiler :

I also went back to some info that we've had since Turn 0. There are 2,868 land tiles on the map, and 9 teams to split them. 2868 / 9 = 318.67 land tiles per team. With the split we're now assuming, that means each team gets an 18 x 18 grid of land, which is 324 tiles. That actually works out pretty nicely. It's too bad we didn't do the math earlier, we might have had a much better idea where to find other teams!

Now, the only problem is that there are definitely more than 6 water tiles in our "grid". We can see 23 water tiles, and those salty bodies certainly mean more water hidden in the fog. This leads me to believe we must be on some sort of continent surrounded by water, where we'll find small islands to make up the difference of the missing land tiles in each team's "grid". If we were all on a solid land block with no surrounding ocean, then all the land tiles would need to be inside our "grid", meaning there would need to be more than 17 tiles between each team.

So, that does seem to be our southern coast down there. If Thunder Bay connects to it, a city there seems pretty important.

6. Aivoturso

Aivoturso King

I just noticed that our initial assumption about the layout is at least a littel bit wrong. RB is 8 tiles north of us as well, meaning that they are approximately half way line with assumed positions of the northern neighbours. If we assume symmertic positioning, the layout would look like about this (not to scale):

x............x
    .......x.......
    x............x
    .......x.......
    RB.........x
    .....CFC....

BTW, I think it is a good assumption that there is a land connection in the edges as well. Otherwise it would be very difficult to create a balanced map. And as it was already pointed out, this would make getting a contact with our east neighbour top priority.

7. Aivoturso

Aivoturso King

And as an aftertought, that is not a symmetric map either. Here is another thought:

x...........
    ....x.......
    ........x...
    x...........
    ....x.......
    ........x...
    R..........
    ....C......
    ........x...

Which seems quite a lot like what Yossarian posted earlier.

8. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

New evidence suggests that this lion we spotted on Turn 32 was responsible for the Poly warrior lost on Turn 31.

Spoiler :

This would seem to imply that Poly is located south and / or east of RB on the map. South wouldn't make sense if the tundra below us is the southern edge of our continent, but who knows how this map might be shaped. With toroidal, there are no poles, so our tundra does not necessarily mean that there is tundra south of RB, too.

9. RegentMan

RegentMan Deity

lol One turn away from meeting another team. What a chance!

10. Bowsling

Bowsling Deity

If this is indeed the case, it could be a game-breaking bad roll of the dice for Apolyton. They would have met us and then RB within the next few turns, and possibly formed an enduring three-way alliance. Instead all we saw was a victorious lion...

11. cav scout

cav scout The Continuum

Let's not forget this is all speculation at this point. It is more probable that the lion in question is the one that munched RBs warrior.

12. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

WPC has given us some good information about their lands, and since we might not be exploring around all of it, I figured I'd provide a very rough artist's rendition.

Spoiler :

Also, here's an image of the lands between RB and WPC. I may have miscounted, but I think their capitals are exactly 14 tiles in a straight diagonal from each other (or maybe 14 horizontal and 15 vertical).

Spoiler :

Here's an image of our southern lands, with all the visible water tiles outlined.

Spoiler :

I still think we're all probably on a single land mass. My hypothesis is that Plako put in inhospitable land between teams, whether that is jungle, forest, or tundra, and narrowed the paths with chokepoints made of lakes and mountains. In order to make the map size work, we're probably on a continent surrounded by water, with islands out in the ocean.

At any rate, here's an overview picture of all known lands (also in the OP).

Spoiler :

13. 1889

1889 Mayor of H-Marker Lake

There doesn't seem to be any choke point or inhospitable terrain to our east however. Could be that we are on one of the corners but if so that is would be very generous land allocation by Plako.

14. talonschild

talonschild Drive-By NESer

I have faith that those mountains will multiply and fill the void.

15. grant2004

grant2004 Citizen

The mountains are in my opinion the most interesting feature on the map. Anything else that we've seen could've been created randomly. The mountains look too solid to be natural in anything but a tectonics script, but in that case I'd expect to see a lot more mountain ranges. There's either another team behind those mountains, or something of great importance. If we can find out what those mountains look like, and what's behind them, I think we'll have a much better idea of what this map is all about.

16. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

Spanish Capital is 8N 16E of Indira. That means the true halfway line between us is 1W of the Gold tile. However, since they are so much farther north, the exact halfway mark is the FP 2N 1E from the Gold (2E from the Cow). I still think everything on our side of the mountains should be considered ours, but we've got to be careful how we present things to them.

Code:
        X                                 X

X

Germans                               X

WPC

RB                            Spaniards

Us

17. talonschild

talonschild Drive-By NESer

But - but - asymmetry. What gives?

18. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

Updated map speculation.

Code:

Germans                             UCiv

WPC

RB                               Spaniards

Us

X                                   X

X

This time I shifted us up to the middle of the map to show where the toroidal wrap would put our southern neighbors, which are the northern-most X's in my previous post.

19. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

So here's my very crude drawing of our map.

Spoiler :

20. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

Very well done, Yossarian :) Now we just need to discuss whether to share it with them or not. If I have understood the rules correctly, we are only prohibited from sharing screenshots, and not drawings like this one.