Map Speculation Thread

The map is great (reminds me of something - a movie or a game) and you are right that only actual screenshots cant be exchanged, while drawings can, yet I am not convinced we must give it to RB.

My understanding was no images shared until maps can be traded, so we can describe this to them in as much detail as we want, but can't send it as an attachment.

Yes, that rule is definitely a fine line. I agree with 2metra, I think sending them the image is too much info for them regardless of whether or not it is allowed.

It looks quite nice though! :goodjob:

New hypothesis with the new info RB has revealed:
I'm now thinking more like this:

o1oooooo2oooooo
oooo3oooooo4ooo
5oooooo6oooooo7
ooo8oooooo9oooo

1 - Germans
2 - UCiv
3 - WPC
4 - Apolyton
5 - RB
6 - Spaniards
7 - CP or CivFr
8 - CFC
9 - CivFr or CP

Now, if we have coast below us and we're all on a landmass surrounded by water, instead of being able to walk across the E-W and N-S wraps, then that would make this all a little less balanced, but that's what it's looking like right now. This would be good for us, though, as it would mean we've met every one of our neighbors.

Edit: Sorry, there must be an E-W land wrap or else the Germans could not have met Poly to their West. It still looks like coasts are blocking the N-S wrap, but I could be wrong.

Good job. I also think the land wraps E-W continuously, while the sea action is meant to be in the N-S axis. This must means that the coast line curves a bit south for RB, the Spaniards and for team 7, while bending north for WPC and Apolyton to give all teams access to the sea. So Thunderbay must be a real sea and not only big salty lake.

I think landlocking few teams, while leaving the joy of naval warfare and amphibious razing to the other would not be what Plako possibly do. :evil:

Well, the big salt lakes between teams will make navies important for everyone.

Also, it does look like the southern ocean could curve north to reach RB even though they're a "center" team. The ocean separating north and south could potentially be equally close to all teams.

As we get new map info from RB and Spanish Poly, it seems that our speculations three months ago were actually pretty accurate. Here is a slightly revised diagram using our latest intel:

ooo1oooooooo2oooooooo
oooooo3oooooooo4ooooo
oo5ooooooo6oooooooo7o
oooooo8oooooooo9ooooo

1 - Germans
2 - UCiv
3 - WPC
4 - Apolyton
5 - RB
6 - Spaniards
7 - CP
8 - CFC
9 - CivFr

I still think that Plako put in barriers between teams to designate natural border areas, whether those be desert, tundra, jungle, mountains or water. RB mentions a large lake to their west separating them from CivPlayers. I'm also pretty confident that there is an East-West land wrap, but ocean separates the north from the south (if there is a world-wrap in that direction at all. I believe we already established that there is).

From the final settings thread :)

Map
Map - MAPMAKER'S CHOICE, something random/special, decent amount of land, not archipelago
Size - HUGE (game setting) - In reality something between 80-100 x 40-60
Wrap - TOROIDAL
Mirrored starts - NO (capital locations are very similar though)
Fair/balanced starts - YES
Allow all teams pre-optics contact - YES

Thanks Plako! After I posted I looked back at the OP in this thread and saw that I had also quoted you confirming the toroidal world wrap.

I also re-read posts on the first page that contained some math based on the total number of land tiles. What I determined back then is that we do not have enough land tiles in the 18 x 18 grid that is "our" territory, implying that there are islands out in that ocean to our south that will connect us to our neighbors on the other side. I think settling Thunder Bay and getting a galley in the water might actually be pretty important for us to do ASAP. Maybe even our next city?

Hope you're getting some good :popcorn: from our subforum, Plako. I am enjoying the map so far, thanks very much for creating it!

Not really map speculation, but here are some current shots of most of the land we have explored.

Spoiler :

Here's the world map in paint. We are now 100% sure of the positioning of all the teams.

Spoiler :

This is obviously not to scale.

I think WPC has expanded a little more in our direction, but we haven't uncovered the fog in that area for awhile so it's hard to know for sure.

I guess this is map speculation. Here's some new information we have about our rivals' borders with Duke's new scouting:

Spoiler :

You can see that the Copper and Cow between WPC and UCiv have been improved, but we don't know which team controls that area. Either way, this picture shows that RB's borders have hit up against WPC and the Germans (in addition to us and CP), WPC and Germans are very close (obvious from their early war), and WPC and UCiv borders are almost certainly touching.

Great map from Plako. Everyone has lots of options for expansion by :hammer:

Just wanted to dig this thread up again now that we have a pretty solid picture of the entire world:

And here are some shots of the starting locations and what all the different teams did with them:

Spoiler :
CivPlayers are lacking the nice rivers a lot of us got

WPC failed to do too much of anything but chop their forest deer :p

We went mostly with cottages, but we're getting some good production out of it, too

RB also has a nice mix between cottages and hammers

UCiv

CivFr

Poly actually moved their cap to that city to the left in this picture

Just wanted to dig this thread up again now that we have a pretty solid picture of the entire world:

And here are some shots of the starting locations and what all the different teams did with them:

Spoiler :
CivPlayers are lacking the nice rivers a lot of us got

WPC failed to do too much of anything but chop their forest deer :p

We went mostly with cottages, but we're getting some good production out of it, too

RB also has a nice mix between cottages and hammers

UCiv

CivFr

Poly actually moved their cap to that city to the left in this picture

Thanks, Yossa, that is very interesting :).

With the current whips and drafts of Poly and our GA we were back on second place. This will change quick once we draft/whip like 20 units a turn for few turns after just few turns.

But we are OK, we are growing our new cities, planting few new lately, planning on planting few more, etc

Actually, there is a group of 5 nations very close like 10% difference in the score - us, Poly, French, CP and Uciv. RB are lie 20% more than us and WPC are like half our score.

Top Bottom