1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

MapEdit Question on Resizing

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Scenario Creation' started by Konig15, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Konig15

Konig15 Warlord

I have either an insurmountable or painfully easy stoppage on a project that I might actually be able to pull off skill-wise, a tribute to Fading Lights, my favorite Civ 2 scenario ever. Problem is, I suck at map creation, and the whole Europe map not appropriate here. So I decided the Kommeni map would do nicely it just needs to be upscaled to modern bigness. So I took the old map and Screenshot (2).png

Ta da!

Not the full map, but you can JUST see the land in the upper right.
    |
    I need to resize the LAND. Why this big? Well, I like big maps and I cannot lie. The other reason is to make sure to leave the impression that this is a HUGE area, windswept and hard to defend AND I need to have all the Italian trading enclaves as assets to seize. Putting the "Roman Empire" back together after the fourth Crusade needs to be hard, cause it was shattered GOOD among many MANY factions.

Also, there are LOTS of good base maps I could use for lots of good stuff, but only if I can resize them without too much issue. Now I understand they'd need more touchups than a Drag Queen pageant show after a Dallas blackout in August, but that's SMALL potatoes for someone whose artistic talent is tracing at best.

Maybe I missed the function, maybe it's with another program...I hope?

Attached Files:

2. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

I don't follow what you're asking here? I believe you are using Mercator's mapEdit software? You can snip off sections of the map with no problem. You can increase the size but you'll get one terrain type (such as water). I know you can take images (bmp) in the Civ2 Palette and convert them to maps. The software also allows you to create a bmp. If you're trying to, say, double the size of a map and keep the general terrain, you'd need to save it as a bmp then double the size of it in a photo editing software/paint. Then load it back up into mapEdit and convert to a civ2 map from the bmp.

I hope I answered your question but I'm not clear what you were asking, so...

3. Konig15

Konig15 Warlord

No. OK, let me rephrase. I need the original map but sctreched to the current dimensions. I don't even need it to be GOOD, just something I can edit back into shape. The original map was 86X127 and the new expanded map is 144X227. I need the point of the map that was at 8^X127 in the old map to be at 144X227 with everything in between expanded and filled in.In this case that aera would be the Empty Quarter. It's not an expanded map in that it goes further east into central Asia but a higher resolution version of the old map with more tiles per square mile (or fewer square miles per tile)

See, in order to make a scenario you MUST start with a map, and I can't make maps. So I either need someone to make a map for me or I need a utility to resize maps for me. Or to be blunt, I can't create scenarios. I need the maps in place before I can do anything else.

4. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

Ok so then the only way I'm aware to do it is how I explained above. Use Mercator's mapEdit utility to convert a map into a bmp, then expand the size as desired in paint, then save that .bmp as a civ2 map again in the mapEdit utility, load it up, and start fixing it (because it will probably be quite "splotchy" but at least gets you started.

5. Konig15

Konig15 Warlord

OK I've been using MapEdit 2.0, I can't find a link to 2.1, the website doesn't for this CivEvo doesn't seem to have MapEdit of any type, and with MapEdit, I see no option to save a map as a BMP file. Not saying it's not there, I'm just not seeing it.

6. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

You need to select it from the drop down in "Save As"

upload_2021-6-10_7-5-54.png

Konig15 likes this.
  7. Konig15

Konig15 Warlord

All right....that is one ugly map but I think I can work with it. I know the grassland/desert/ocean thing is screwed, but a terrain swap of grassland and ocean got the coasts back. Now I need to see about the damage to the mountains but nearly everything's covered in rivers. Does the Mapedit have a way to remove all rivers? At this point, I'd rather manually put them back in, striking them all out at once would be a lot faster with something like Map edit rather than with the Civ 2 map editor. If it's possible.

And hey, thank you! I finally have a project base I can start from. Now I just gotta see about the mountains and hills and compare and rebuild from there. So once the rivers are dealt with I think I'm off to the races.

8. Prof. Garfield

Prof. Garfield Deity Supporter

Here's something that might help you. This script will take a map and re-create it (on the same map) so that 1 tile becomes 4 tiles or 9 tiles.

You must have TOTPPv16 (the most recent version).

Open your map in Test of Time, and save the game (this script can't be undone, so if you don't get what you want, you must load the game again, and follow these instructions once more).

Use CTRL+Shift+F3 to open the console, then use the Load Script button to open mapStretch.lua. Choose 2 coordinates, 1 in the top left of the portion of the map you want to expand, the other in the bottom right. Suppose you choose (4,8) and (100,50). Suppose you want each tile to become 4 tiles (i.e. a 2x2 diamond). Then, you type this into the console:

Code:
    copyMapPortion(4,8,100,50,2)

Press return and the map will be changed. (You can use ctrl+shift+3 to export the map to a .mp file).

EDIT: If your original map selection is too big, the script will still work, just the portions that are off the map won't show. If the map selection is too small, ocean will be left over.

Attached Files:

JPetroski likes this.
  9. Knighttime

Knighttime Warlord

@Konig15 I've been digging into the topic of European maps lately for my Medieval Millennium mod. I might be able to make you a brand new map, covering any region of your choice, in whatever size you want. (It wouldn't be as much work for me as you might think, because of how I can leverage the work I've already done.) You might get decent results by up-scaling the one you found, but honestly I think a map created from scratch in the correct size would be even better.

If you're interested, here's the info I'd need:

1. What latitude/longitude region, exactly, do you want the map to cover? (The best way to get precise lat/long coordinates is probably to query points on Google Maps or Google Earth.)
    2. Do you want this to be a maximum-size "gigamap", with 32,767 tiles or as close to it as possible? If not just let me know how big you want.
    3. Do you intend to use the game's basic terrain types? That would be the easiest for me, but if you know you want custom terrain types, let me know and we can discuss.

Limitations (just so you're not disappointed later):

1. You'd probably be on your own for adding rivers, sorry.
    2. Forest cover is very dependent on the historical era, and furthermore the game's basic terrains don't provide any good option for the pine forests in the far north (boreal or taiga) or at higher elevations -- setting those as "Forest" allows clearing them to highly productive "Grassland" which is unrealistic. So I might ignore forests and let you add those where you wish.

No pressure, of course -- you can certainly proceed with what you've already found, and the tips/tools provided by JPetroski and Prof. Garfield, and I won't be offended. Just thought I'd make the offer since it's closely connected to something I've already been working on. (Also, you can PM me if you'd rather respond privately instead of in this thread.)

(EDIT: I see now that the inline image you provided is what I would call "the fertile crescent", although the map you attached is what I would call "Mediterranean region". Neither is really Europe but that's fine by me. This is why I asked for latitude/longitude coordinates of the map corners, because that's the clearest way to express your ideal map region.)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021 at 2:39 PM