Maps Sizes - "all maps not created equal"

jpinard

Martian
For those that thought the maps in Civ IV are smaller than Civ 3, I finally understand why some of you think this. It may not be obvious that the map sizes in Civ 4 are dynamic and change based on the map type you select. A large map of Continents is not the same size as a large map of Pangea.

In playing my own games I couldn't understand why starting a huge map in "Pangea" and a ton of opponents had them right on top of me, but when playing a map on "Continents" and the same number of opponents - it took many more turns to find just one opponent. So after categorizing all the map types from Sirian's reference guide it finally made more sense.

-----------------------------

Civ IV Map Size Guide
This information is taken from Sirian’s Mapguide readme. Goal here is to easily show you all maps are not created equal (in size). Playing a game with 15 opponents (even selecting the same “map size”) will have Pangaea opponents much closer to you than if you played your game with Continents.

104 x 64
Terra

84 x 52
Archipelago
Balanced
Continents
Custom Continents
Islands

84 x 36
Ice Age

64 x 64
Tilted Axis

64 x 40
Highlands
Hub
Pangaea
Ring
Wheel

65 x 32
Maze

52 x 32
Inland Sea
Lakes
Mirror
Oasis

44 x 32
Great Plains

Link to guide: http://www.jeffpinard.com/Civ IV Map Size Guide.doc

You failed to mention what size you chose for this mapset. Was it normal?

And could I have a link to Sirian's mapguide if I don't end up finding it myself?

Im searching and could use some help

What is the largest map size I can Mod with WB for BTS?

Im basically looking the largest map and then make me on a huge Island and all others on a mainland and me have a sort of fortress island or Fortress Continent

Please, also, where do you change the numbers to increase the map size if it is possible?

Thanks so much in advance!

Grandpa Troll

Top Bottom