Maps that limit technology ages?

chrisbk88

Chieftain
Hey,

I'm not sure how to find this so I thought I'd ask.

Are there maps that I can download that limit tech? Example: the game only progresses to ancient era, medieval era, industrial era, etc. then that age is the final tech and now it's future tech, instead of progressing all the way to modern era?

I'm sure someone must've made these already, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Last edited:
There are several scenarios with limited tech trees. E.g. the Crusaders Scenario only has medieval techs, Age of Discovery only up to Renaissance, Napoleonic scenario etc.
Also some of the Scenarios from the Creation and Customization forum, where you can download some great stuff from different ages.

I've dabbled a bit in this lately, but instead of removing an era or two what I want is for the ancient era to last a lot longer, as I want chariots to be a serious part of the game before horseback riding, and to actually make use of catapults for a while before trebuchets as it seems in my games I often have trebs before even having a chance to use catapults. Also overall just want to enjoy the early part of the game without constantly worrying about getting the latest greatest units.

To that end, I increased the research cost of all the ancient era techs by 50%, though some of the more expensive ones I only increased by 25 to 33%. I made horseback riding several times more expensive, and added another tech as a prereq for it. I've had limited success, sometimes I do get big chariot battles (I intentionally am playing as a civ with no access to horses early on, while facing the Egyptians, Hittites and the Sumerians who I gave a decent chariot unit; the point is the challenge of fighting fast-moving units without having any of my own, forcing me to use plenty of artillery strategically.)

But more often I still end up not seeing any chariots from them at all for some reason. I think I need to pick a fight with those chariot civs earlier on.

Back on topic- since like many people I do really dislike the modern era segment of the game, I may experiment with simply deleting all of the modern era techs. Is it really that important that that remote island city never got to have a manufacturing plant powered by a nuke plant with all its sea tiles enhanced by an oil platform, spitting out naval units at an unnatural pace? :crazyeye:

You may also need to disable/remove some victory types (Diplomatic and Space Race) since those depend on Modern Era techs. With the same number of max turns, you could achieve a Cultural victory with temples, libraries, and Wonders; not many culture-producing buildings after the Middle Ages.

But more often I still end up not seeing any chariots from them at all for some reason. I think I need to pick a fight with those chariot civs earlier on.
AFAIK, the AIs without Chariot-UUs generally build very few — if any — Chariots.

M-values >1 are unfortunately severely underweighted in the AI's build-decisions: as far as the AI unit-building algorithm is concerned, the Warrior is a 'better' unit than the Chariot (= same A/D-values, but double the cost). Even the Aztecs are only inclined to build Jags because that's their UU.

So if you're going to mod the game anyway, you might want to try giving the generic Chariots A=2, to try and encourage the AI to build more of them; you could also give the Egyptian and Hittite (and Sumerian?) Chariot-UUs additional buffs (e.g. D=2, and/or Range=0 defensive bombardment) to compensate.

The Horseman-units are already somewhat buffed in the sense that they're not Wheeled, so can enter unroaded terrains which currently exclude Chariots (Mountains, Jungles, and Marshes by default — and maybe also Forests, if you also want to add that restriction).

I've dabbled a bit in this lately, but instead of removing an era or two what I want is for the ancient era to last a lot longer, as I want chariots to be a serious part of the game before horseback riding, and to actually make use of catapults for a while before trebuchets as it seems in my games I often have trebs before even having a chance to use catapults. Also overall just want to enjoy the early part of the game without constantly worrying about getting the latest greatest units.

In that case adding four useless techs to the ancient age might do the trick. With say a cost factor of 80 those four techs required to enter the middle ages will prolong the late phase of the ancient age by a relevant margin.

*kicks himself* That is so obvious now you mention it and I'd never even considered it. I'll be having fun delaying certain techs using this method to try and freshen up the usual path the AI takes through the tech tree.

Sorry only just noticed this thread. There's more to it than just deleting techs as there are resources and buildings that have to be dummied. I had this same thought at one point and created a scenario for it. One biq just had Ancient era and another ends at middle ages. I changed the city graphics as well and adjusted other things. Its on my older laptop though. I could dig it up if you wanted a head-start. Another reason I made these was to utilize wonder victory in 2 player internet games.

I have added some techs in the ancient age (animal domestication before wheel / piracy after ship building), and made the first columns of techs un-tradable.
This means that all civs have to research the first techs by themselves. This also slows down 'runaway' civs, because they can't trade for all cheap techs quickly.

You got to be careful though that the ancient age doesn't become too drawn out - I actually can't wait using new toys that do bam and boom.

Top Bottom