Mars?

@ La Dav - That is a very good mod, but not the one I was looking for. The Mars mod would have been set on a planet, not in space.

@ Taube87 - I must admit that I have a soft spot for the turbojet and Leviathan myself.

Anyway, does anyone know what happened to this project?

SM disappeared soon after the release of the Space Armada beta, about a year and a half ago. Both mods died out from lack of leadership. I was planning to revive one or the other after completing my Freespace scenario, but since that never happened....
I took a look at your Freespace scenario, it looked pretty good. I still haven't had the time yet to play Freespace 2 yet (it's been in my drawer for about 2 years I think), but the way you were taking it with the space lanes and such was very thought provoking. If you do revive it and need some help with ideas or perhaps some txt editing then I'll try to give you a hand. The ideas could easily be adapted to other space conquest type games like Imperium Galactica II.

A Martian scenario would be more planet based of course. But I guess we all have our other mods to work on before we get round to trying to revive these old ones. :( One day soon, perhaps.

I didn't kow about this! Cool!

By the Way, La Dav, are you playing Silver Knights?

Because your avatar reminds me for one of the characters in the game...

I took a look at your Freespace scenario, it looked pretty good. I still haven't had the time yet to play Freespace 2 yet (it's been in my drawer for about 2 years I think), but the way you were taking it with the space lanes and such was very thought provoking. If you do revive it and need some help with ideas or perhaps some txt editing then I'll try to give you a hand. The ideas could easily be adapted to other space conquest type games like Imperium Galactica II.
I'll go back to work on it eventually. I kind of burned myself out for a while getting the BfNY beta out during a hectic semester, and haven't done any modding (and little playing) since then. I had also considered an IG scenario, but if I made one I'd probably go with the first game since it had more of a storyline.

Anyway, back on topic... if someone wants to take charge of this mod, I'll throw in my support. I can't lead anything right now, but my opinions and graphics skillz are available.

Right, well this is a project I intend to start some work on now. Mars needs a Mod. :bump: Sorry in advance for the length of post.

I've trawled through a load of units and stuff, and have got some rough lines together. I've messed with Smoking Mirror's units and made .ini files for them, and I intend to post a basic (very basic :)) version of a Mars Mod as soon as possible - I don't want to get bogged down in details early on and end up with nothing to show.

The basics:
Four eras, very basic and weak units in first era (no attack units worth building except missiles), with the emphasis firmly on exploration. Second era get's you to a level where you can think of an offensive, but it would probably take a long time to make any ground. The third and fourth era will be when your interesting sci-fi units come in, colonial marines, dropships, drones, mechs and robots will do your fighting for you. I'm proposing to have Nukes in from the start, but they'd be very expensive, and the Radioactives needed to build them will be very scarce. Antimatter missiles would replace them late in the game.

Maps - hopefully several will be available (Mars, Venus, Ganymede, Io, any others that people fancy bringing to my attention). I'm starting with the assumption that either polar ice caps have been melted prior to the start of the scenario, or comets would have been smashed into the atmosphere producing a large quantity of water. There will be seas anyway. The possibility of a series of mods tracking the development through Red Mars, Blue Mars and Green Mars phases is attractive, but I don't have the time to do that right now. That could feasibly follow later. On each map there will be a single city for each faction ready built. I'm not going to be pre-placing 100s of units like I did in Alexander. I doubt very much if random maps are going to be possible, due to the changes to the terrain (see below).

Buildings - Graphically, a bit of a challenge, as the standard buildings all have green grass bases. There won't be that many in the first version of the mod. You'll need an aqueduct equivalant to get above pop 3 (incidentally, I'm going to try to get rid of fresh water altogether), and a colony dome to get above pop 9. No culture improvements will be available until you've got a dome in place. Off planet trade will be via a Spaceport in the early era, replaced by a Space Ladder later on. The space ladder will only be buildable near the Equator (there will be an Equator resource that rings the map, and the space ladders will only be buildable with that resource in the radius of the city).

Resources - I believe these are worked out. There are various strategic mineral resources which will allow forges / power plants to be built. Ice will be available near the poles and in Canyons, and this will enable a number of buildings. It will have a high disappearance rate so that you'll need to keep chasing deposits around. Radioactives, Antimatter and several luxuries would be 'Earth trade resources', and would not be available on the majority of the map. Martian life-forms would provide useful early commerce bonuses, and hybrid Mars/Terran life and finally Terran life-forms would be revealed later on with the appropriate techs.

Terrain - Deserts are chasms, Mountains and Hills stay as they are. I want to change Marsh and Jungle into new terrains (barren and rocky ground), which can be cleared (over a period of many years by terraformers, or by pollution) to terraformed land (basically plains and grassland), which is excellent once you have irrigated it (1 food, +3 with irrigation). Forests will be absent at the beginning of the game, but can be planted on terraformed land to provide a production boost (2 food, 1 shield per turn, +2 when mined).

Pollution - I can't decide whether I want pollution to damage terraformed land (change it back to barren land) or create more terraformed land. There are arguments either way, so to make it a capricious double edged sword I might make it do both and leave the player to cope with the good and ill effects of the changes.

Tech tree - Not really looked at it yet. This is something I'm competent at doing myself though (seriously...), so it will fall into place once units and buildings are in place.

Civs - not sure about who to pick and put in the mod.

The overall scheme - I was thinking that there would be one principal city on Mars, with the 'earth trade resources' around it. This would be a definite focal point for any wars, it would be the only point where you could get hold of luxuries and radioactives. The civ that controls the city would be something like 'The UN Martian Authority', and they would be limited in their offensive units, but with good defenders. Obviously they would be overpowering if they had good offence ability coupled with access to rare resources. This could change a little, there are a few different ways to represent off-world trade, but for now I thought it would be a relatively simple way of doing it.

So - help I could do with:

Terrain - I need someone to have a go at the Jungle and Marsh terrains and get them to look like rocky or barren martian terrain. High priority on this task IMO.

Civs - Help with choosing what civs to put in. On the whole, I think that having national or super-National groups would be best (so entities like the UN (or maybe WTO), US, China, EU, Arab League, India etc.), rather than made-up groups. I'm not against the idea of a few Corporations being in, and the Free Mars group should be represented too I guess, down near the South Pole, but let's not have any silly groups putting in an appearance. The mod's meant to be at least slightly realistic.

Units - I have units for most things, but I'm sure that many more, better units exist out there. I'll post an idea of what I've got in the mod at the moment when I get home, and if anyone wants to suggest changes then that's grand. :thumbsup: If anyone fancies taking on some units requests then there are certain things that would be useful. Hover tanks, hover artillery, and two airships - one as a transport and one as an aircraft carrier - would be ideal for starters. If you want pics for inspiration then I'm sure I could look some out.

Buildings - If anyone knows where some appropriate looking graphics can be found then that would help a lot.

Who's with me?

I have:

Two maps of Mars
One of Venus
One of Ganyede
One of the moon
One of Io

That should do for now. :) I can always convert a map of Earth for more variety.

There was some mars terrain out here in this forum but it's quite long ago...
When searching I found this:
Spoiler :

here

The download should still work... (and this guy even left his email...)

About the buildings I am not sure but are there some useable in the (really old) pentagenisis mod? Perhaps you can also take some from fallout mod an space opera (which IIRC had some really cool ones...)

There was some mars terrain out here in this forum but it's quite long ago...
When searching I found this:
Spoiler :

here

The download should still work... (and this guy even left his email...)

About the buildings I am not sure but are there some useable in the (really old) pentagenisis mod? Perhaps you can also take some from fallout mod an space opera (which IIRC had some really cool ones...)

Is that Sprnv8's second set of Mars Terrain gfx? If not (and if it would prove helpful) I'll post it.

Thanks guys, I've got the Martian terrain, and it is indeed made by Sprnv8. I'll check out the buildings from Space Opera and Pentagenesis for buildings (and units, and other stuff).

The only work I need on it is the aforementioned conversion of the Marsh and Jungle terrain.

The only work I need on it is the aforementioned conversion of the Marsh and Jungle terrain.
You want the jungle/marsh graphics replaced with something suitable to Mars that workers can "clear wetlands" to reveal the underlying terrain, right?

Im not sure if any of it would help...and I cant honestly remember whats in there...but the terrain I made for my SG-1 scenario is Marsable...I know I did mountains, and used chasms for hills...not sure what else in there you might want, but I think its worth a look

Top Bottom