Master of Orion (MOO)

Achinz

Hermit of Huangshan
Anyone still playing MOO the original (not the newer 2 or 3 versions)? I've just discovered how addictive it is, perhaps even more than Civ2.

I haven't played MoO2 but judging from feedback in Apolyton, it seems most players like the original MoO better despite the more basic graphics. MoO seems to have the right blend of TBS of the Sid Meier kind and also some of the addictive elements of RTS in the combat side. There's much depth in the strategy required with the well-balanced races available which makes it very replayable.

I played Moo and loved it. Then I got Moo2 and never went back. I am counting the days till Moo3. Absolutely great games all the way around.

The problem is getting a copy of MoO2. It used to be available free from theunderdogs.org but IDSA has got it removed. Where did you get yours from?

This question is 4 me? :) I bought a pirate :spank: copy of original MOO2 CD MANY years ago. I can try to find no-cd version of this game, but I think you get Moo2 faster...

Moo3 coming soon :goodjob:

yes, moo2 is one of my alltime favorite games. i just love that stellar converter. never played moo though. i dont know if ill get moo3, i like colonization much better!

I don't see why people think Moo2 is a bad game. In my opinion, it's one of the best games ever made.

About Moo, I'm reinstalling it to remember how it's played because I stopped playing it when Moo2 was released.

Originally posted by Flatlander Fox
How do you get MOO to work on your computer? I got a copy, but it keeps telling me that I need to change hardware????:confused:

if it's doing what I think, it says "reconfigure hardware options".

that means that it needs the IRQ addresses for your sound card or soundblaster legacy sound. sounds complicated, but easy once you find these values. i you're quick enough during startup, you can see the values listed on the screen. alternatively, you can read your autoexec.bat file.

when you have that stuff, run the install.exe in the folder orion is in and put them in appropriately.

if that doesn't work, run the install.exe and choose no sound. you won't have sound, but you can play Master of Orion.

great game, I could never get into the second one.

Maybe you have a little LOWER memory? Try to modify your autoexec.bat to gathering more main (or lower) memory. Moo1 requires 580K of this (as I remember).

Try the suggestions in the links I provided above and let us know if it worked.
Good luck!

REM out all the programs loaded in autoexec.nt (the lines which start with lh). If you do not do this, there will not be enough conventional memory left to run moo with XP's Soundblaster emulation. The only line you really need is the set BLASTER line. Do not change the BLASTER settings. They do not need to be correct for you current sound card.

what does that mean? delete all the lines or just the ones with lh?

Top Bottom