Math09: RaR, OCC, Space - take two

Mathias

OCC Rocks!
On our first attempt, we were about 15 turns from victory when we lost due to rival culture. So, we'll try again.

Roster:
Mathias
Beorn-eL-Feared
Smart
DaveShack

I have rolled some starts as Tibet on an archipelago map. They aren't spectacular, but just getting fresh water on archipelago maps can be difficult.

Attachments

• math09starts-a.jpg
    math09starts-a.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 172
You'll need to install RaR 1.04b... Methos can give you the links.

Of those, I like the third one as well. The food bonuses will be most helpful early on.

Well, all 3 look much better than the starts I rolled. If only those hills could be closer to the shore in #1 ...
#3 is a no brainer anyways, with 2 food bonus, and God knows how much you need those for AA in RaR.

Thanks for links, Mathias.
Will you play first 20 turns from the 3rd start? :whipped:

-- Edit --
Is it an Emperor game? If it seems to be very easy, you can reroll 3rd start using World seed, but in DG difficulty

Yes i checked it ;)
I copy those files to \\RaR\Art\Units directory. But in error screen you can see that missing file is in \\RaR\Art\tech chooser\ dirrectory.
What is wrong? :blush:

Start #3 is a no-go. Not coastal, just on a large lake. I'll roll some more starts to hopefully get a decent, food-strong but not shield-poor location.

@Smart - Did you do Inconvenience #1? You'll need to move/copy all files from the zip to their corresponding locations manually.

Started on coast next to river with cereals, three BG and three hills. Within 15 turns, it is evident that we are isolated. The archipelago idea isn't going to work. We'll have to stick with continents, because a runaway AI can get even bigger on pangaea. Not only that, but coastal locations can be hard to come by.

@Smart: not sure it'll work with RaR, I'd have to check it up.

In my personnal experience, it is easier to "even out" the forces on a pangea than on a continents, and runaway AI's don't get sooo runaway because when a civ goes down, there are several munching it, not just one. And picking Greece should allow for an automatic coastal, even on pang.

Anyways, how about start #1? Not quite shield heaven or a miraculous AA start, but it should get us somewhere. I'd like the saves anyways, just to try them, if you may give them to us.

Here's what I came up with:
#4: Greece, large 60% archipelago, barbs off, random opponents, std aggressivity, normal climate IIRC

#5: Tibet, large 80% pangea, everything idem

4 has diversified tiles and I like it for that. 5 is coastal and has ariver, which is the 2nd best I've got in my 50 attempts.

What if we move S-SE on #3, would that be the ocean ? We keep all the goodies from bonus and mountains too.

I found a promising location, and played to 3000 BC.

Built two scouts, wiseman, now building TG. Met the Mongols, they have domestication and warfare, and later discover cultivation. We researched writing, and are now two turns from pottery. Hopefully, we'll be able to trade for both cultivation and warfare then, so we can go directly to caste system.

The research plan is pretty straightforward. Beeline dynasticism, then get code of laws before philosophy, so we can get democracy as our free tech.

As far as production goes, we'll need a granary, shrine and worker housing. As in Math06, we'll build palace gardens for tourism. I'd like to build the Great Lighthouse as soon as possible, too.

First round, 15 turns each. Then 10 turns each thereafter.

@Beorn - I don't like Greece. Sure seafaring is nice, but the Mausoleum alone will trigger a golden age. I also don't want a large map. The increased tech cost makes OCC considerably more difficult.

Attachments

• Math09_3000BC.jpg
    Math09_3000BC.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 100
Top Bottom