max civilizations on small map

SethAdarion

Chieftain
A few days ago, I decided to try out adding as many civilizations as I could to a small size continents map. The default number of civilizations for small size is 6, but I managed to crank it up to 21 without mods. I kept the number of city states the same, to make them a more prized possession to fight over.

The game is insane. I managed to make 3 or 4 cities before all the land on my continent was taken up. Sure, you can start wars, but with the crazy warmongering AI that CIV5 has, there's only so much that you can conquer before the entire continent gangs up and declares war on you. You have to be very careful. It's a lot of fun if you have a plan of what you're doing.

Has anyone else tried this type of game?

Noooooo.....I like adding an extra 2 for standard and an extra 4 for large just to liven things up. Adding a few extra cs's can be fun as well. But I've never tried your crazy set-up. Sounds interesting though. Almost like a 21 civ 1 city challenge. I'm amazed you found room to expand.

Lol, I've never even tried adding so many civs into one game. What happens when you run out of civs? Do you get copies of, say, Gandhi? That would be weird.

You can get up to 22 civs on any size of map. Not sure what CS do though, I suspect they don't ever show up, if they can't found a city. You will get doubles with diffrent player colors - I got 2 Siams next to me once, one yellow with red, the other yellow with black, since then I limit it to number of civs in game. You should try it on duel in a later era - you can hardly even move.

Just finished the game with a domination victory as the mongolians. Capital cities along the coast are very vulnerable targets :) Abusing horsemen in the early game is pretty much essential to gain any sort of foothold. What's interesting is you see a few repeat civilizations (I saw two mongolias), since 21(+1) is more than civilization 5 plus all DLC has right now.

I've done that with 18 civs on tiny map. It was really fun. Me as Aztecs invaded & captured Persian capital very early in the game & founded 2 cities. Then spent about 100 turns fighting against 16 AIs who had declared war on me for 'warmongering'. Eventually I was able to conquer, India, Russia, Siam, Arabia, Germany, Greece & England. The ones left were Egyptians, French & few more nations. :)

Top Bottom