Maximum game, anyone?

Marlos

Christian Soldier
Just curious, has anyone out there ever played a game where they finished with 255 cities capitalized with populations maximized and researched 255 future techs? In other words, is anyone out there as anal retentive as I am? :crazyeye: :lol:

The hall of fame is full of nuts like you ;)

Well, thank you for the compliments, all!

Seriously, aside from being 'nuts' and 'having too much spare time', I am playing a game right now just to see how much I score I can acheive, plain and simple. Contrary to your thought, ferenginar :scan: I have forgone the GOTM to complete my maximum game.

Yes, it takes time, yes, it can be boring not having AI to interact with, but I think it is fun to see how maximized I can get. :crazyeye: :crazyeye: :crazyeye:

I think everyone has a a go at a high score game once.The question of sanity only comes in with those that play that way all the time, ala shadowdale,starlifter etc :D

Originally posted by Smash
The question of sanity only comes in with those that play that way all the time, a la shadowdale, starlifter etc :D

Guess you have to lump me in with those guys! :rotfl:

I once did a maximum game and it went very easy and in the end I occupied every square of the globe. I ended the game and then saw that I had scored something like 10%, I played chieftain......never again!

Based upon experience I think you will have to forgo GOTM17 too

Have fun

ferenginar

by Smash:

I think everyone has a a go at a high score game once.The question of sanity only comes in with those that play that way all the time, ala shadowdale,starlifter etc

Tsk tsk. :) I've played only one game for a max score, about 3 years ago. It was one of my very first Civ 2 games and it taught me an enormous amount, esp. because I has no contact with other Civ II players at the time (and was not a forum user until last summer).

BTW, a couple days ago (in contrast to long drawn out games), I "volunteered" you in another thread to make a monthly OCC map! Its a good alternative to the long games... :D

Sorry, Chofritz, I don't play utopia. My signature is a verse from the Bible. :jesus:

Originally posted by ferenginar
Based upon experience I think you will have to forgo GOTM17 too

Just FYI, feringinar, I am still playing this maximum game. While it does take a long time to complete, I have also been distracted with some home projects and summer events as well. Of course, having a 14-month old daughter can be distracting, too! :lol:

Marlos
If you are interested in max score games, you can have a look at Apolyton. shade and Julius Brenzaida are both playing now (IIRC the thread is named 'yes, i am nuts'; I guess that's why smash used the word ;) ).

Hey, anyone that is going for a Max game (at any level of difficulty), feel free to make a special "Progress" thread and keep up updated!!! I think it would be great to hear about, and I know it takes a long long time, esp. in the last few game years. If you want, we'll even give a few tips for squeezing some final points out of it, if you want :).

Marlos, your right about the distractions, I have a VB project for battle simulations, the World Cup, 2 daughters - 4 years and 18 months, my wife;), the need to :sleep:, and worst of all - the job:cringe:.

I failed to complete gotm 16, have not started 17 and am not playing any other games at the moment either. :(

Right now, I am at AD1930. I have about 8900 points (give or take). I have a fully completed spaceship :borg: , 224 cities at last count, and I am researching future tech 75 :grad: . My only real "problems" are finding any arable land to settle and finding suitable trading partners.

My taxes are set to zero and science to two, and I am discovering almost every turn (although that has gone in cycles). BTW, anyone, what happens when the screen that shows when you hit Shift-T says that your discovering in -1 turns? :confused: I've been turning the science down a notch when I see that. Am I doing the right thing?

My engineers are busy transforming glaciers and tundra into arable land, but I am wondering if I will get to 255 cities or not. BTW, I am playing on a randomly-generated medium-sized map. There were (emphasis on the past tense - were :skull: ) seven civs at the start of the game. Again, I only started this game on Chieftain level just so I could see all of the WOTW movies. I have seen them all (Manhattan Project was the last - I hate nukes :aargh: ), but have decided to maximize the game.

So here I am.

Any last-minute tips would be appreciated.

Top Bottom