1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Measuring Garrison Revolution Support

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - Strategy & Tips' started by Kraftster, Sep 24, 2008.

1. misterslack

misterslack Chieftain

Garrisoned units should be subject to liberty bells, plain and simple. Fixing this and rebalancing the REF generation will go a long way will solve the two major problems with the game right now.

2. Common Sensei

Common Sensei Chieftain

I would be okay with the percentage of rebel sentiment being the chance a colonist born there will be a rebel sympathizer. If the town is 70% Rebel, 30% Tory, those are the corresponding chances for each. If the town is 100% rebel, each colonist born should be Rebel.

If each colonist born is always Tory, that's an extra step and getting into heavier micromanagement.

3. Gliese 581

Gliese 581 Your average civ junkie

Now you are advocating a completely deterministic mechanic, what about free choice? :lol:

Don't worry, just playing devil's advocate, I suspect your idea might work well from a game mechanics point of view. ;)

4. Ellestar

Ellestar Chieftain

There is a good gameplay reason for it, more combat units before the revolution -> you need more bells to declare revolution -> king will send a bigger army. So, you can't just mass a big numbers, you should have a plan. IMHO it's a good thing for a strategy game.

You can exploit it by transferring all your food to a 100% rebel city, all colonists will born there... Unexploitable solution will be to have an additional global pool of liberty bells that will increase by (total liberty bells everywhere / total population) each time a colonist will be born.

5. Kraftster

Kraftster Chieftain

That's about exactly the same as my first game experience with this..."situation."

I just won my first game, and, I basically avoided this situation, which I'm still going to call a "problem" by basically storing dozens of loads of guns and horses. 2xGalleon full of guns, Merchantman full of horses, all 5 settlements to the max with each as well. Without making much of an army I was able to get over 50% and then declare and create as much of an army as my stored resources could create. The army was sufficient to win, but, I still don't really like being forced to wait to create an army. I just don't see why bells wouldn't impact garrisoned units. Make it take longer, a lot longer if that is what is needed to keep it balanced, but, don't make units DEFENDING a city IMMUNE from any of the growing revolutionary support within the city walls.

6. Gliese 581

Gliese 581 Your average civ junkie

What about % chance of being born rebel or slave is based on overall rebel sentiment for all colonies? That would get around exploiting it by having everyone being born in a 100% rebel city.

7. Volstag

Volstag Chairman of the Bored

My obligatory take on it: it would be too powerful if you could build a huge army/navy then, zip, declare independence. Further, it may accurately reflect the logistical difficulty of fielding and equipping vast standing armies comprised largely of volunteers and conscripts.

It may also be a pain in the ass.