Medieval Techs Rework

FoxFox

Chieftain
This very simple mod achieves a number of things:

- Knights are likely to be discovered before Pikemen - which makes sense because Pikemen are a counter against Knights.
- Aztecs can access their Jaguar Warriors without having to invent Crossbows (as per history).
- Crossbows are now available as a late Classical era tech (which is more accurate than Medieval crossbows).
- The Medieval tech tree now presents a choice between a focus on high quality troops vs larger armies.

The mod shuffles a number of tech unlocks:

- Siege tactics: Gains Crossbowmen, loses Army cap bonus
- Feudalism: Gains Knights, loses Peasants
- Chivalry: Gains Greatswordsmen, loses Knights
- War summons: Gains Peasants and Army cap bonus, loses Pikemen and Crossbowmen
- Heavy infantry: Gains Pikemen, loses Greatswordsmen

Additionally, War summons now unlocks access to Chivalry, so that Varangian Guards and Jaguar Warriors can be "invented" without having to unlock Knights.

Edit: Here's a screenshot of the updated tech tree:

Spoiler :
20211106042901_1.jpg

Last edited:
this sounds great!

if you're up for suggestions, something about the forge being attachedto copper instead of iron has always bothered me, particularly as it keeps scaling up

anyway, thanks for sharing your work! subcribed and recommended

this sounds great!

if you're up for suggestions, something about the forge being attachedto copper instead of iron has always bothered me, particularly as it keeps scaling up

anyway, thanks for sharing your work! subcribed and recommended

Thanks!

I am considering a more comprehensive tech tree rework. But I don't plan to add new technologies or do extensive rebalancing of units etc. So whether it will get there depends on how far I'll get with just more reshuffling like in this mod.

Good point about the forge - I'll keep that one in mind!

Looks great! Excited to see all your modding come together! As for the forge, my personal preference would be to keep it classical. I really enjoy the adjacency boost you get from it.

Top Bottom