1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Meet the Modders

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by RedAlert, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Tommy Vercetti

Tommy Vercetti The Don

Working on my scenario, trying to fix a problem with pediaicons not showing correctly

2. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

Yes, Vuldacon… but the US hardly has a monopoly on running itself into the ground.
    You can ask for help in this here CFC. :)

3. Tommy Vercetti

Tommy Vercetti The Don

I did in the q and a thread

4. Vuldacon

Vuldacon Dedicated to Excellence Supporter

Probably a Palette Problem. Do All PediaIcons show a problem or just some of them?
    Upload them and I will take a look at them.

Adrain and Kyriakos like this.
  5. WildWeazel

WildWeazel Yeah, well... Supporter

oof, we almost slipped off the first page

How's everyone doing? Still surviving? I've been working from home since last March, and am trying to figure out an arrangement to move out of town and work remotely full time.

6. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

I'm still alive. 2020 was a challenging year, primarily from a mental-health standpoint due to insufficient interaction with other humans. I've also been working from home since Friday the 13th of March, and am chomping at the bit to return to an office. Thankfully (maybe that's not quite the right word?) I have a friend who caught the virus early, so we've been able to hang out without risk of aiding transmission. Thankfully (really the right word), everyone I know who has caught the virus has survived.

I plan to take a leave of absence in late 2021 or 2022 in order to recover, have plenty of time to catch up with friends, and travel. Although before that, I think a couple months of working with other people in the office full-time would be good for me. Work itself wasn't a significant stressor in 2020 (despite being significantly less productive than previous years; apparently that was not noticeable remotely), but time off was much less rejuvenating without events to attend with friends or somewhere new to explore.

On the plus side, I did join a bowling league in (pre-pandemic) 2020, which was a fun way to spend weeknight evenings. I'll likely re-join one once vaccine distribution gets sorted.

It looks like I haven't given an update on exciting life events in a few years either. I'll dig up a couple pictures of places I visited in a later post, but why not wrap up this 2020-focused post by noting that the only new location I traveled to in 2020 was the great tourist city of Toledo... Ohio, not Spain. Which means it isn't really a tourist city, but it made for a good weekend trip to visit a friend who was also suffering from isolation and was extremely low-risk for transmission. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that Toledo, Ohio actually has a very good art museum, and after driving past Toledo dozens of times, am glad to have finally spent some time there. Maybe this year I'll go back and see a Toledo Mud Hens baseball game. They still have one of my favorite sports franchise names of all time.

7. Puppeteer

Puppeteer Emperor

I haven't been in this thread before I think. I've considered myself more of an occasional transient coder than a modder.

I retired in October 2019 at age 49.5, partially so I could say I "retired in my 40s". I'm a bit lean on assets and a bit heavy on spending, so I'm likely to need to get income at some point, so maybe I'm semi-retired, but after leaving I decided I'm allowed to call myself retired because I'm in control of when, where, and how I work, if at all. On the other hand, if the market keeps going on like this a few more years I'll be good, anyway.

I sold my house 3 months ago and am now living a nomadic life in short-term rentals in the US Rockies. While still managing to stay socially distanced about as well as I did in my house, although I recognize that going full-time traveler may not be the best look mid-pandemic. But really I'm still just sitting alone indoors all the time; I'm just doing it in a different place every month or three, with keycode contactless checkins.

My Civ III efforts are a bit all over the place as I'm motivated by applying the techs I've used or want to use and figuring out data and how things work with the game. And my techs of interest have generally not been the best match for programming accessories to Civ III, but it is fun for me. I did just start playing with C# in earnest, and that language makes a lot more sense for any Civ III accessories, and other programmers at least have an interest in it if not a familiarity. And there are actually UI frameworks available for it where most of my other tech interests are limited to console and web interfaces.

Quintillus, my sister was working remotely and moved out of state from her employer with her manager's understanding, but then HR and/or accounting freaked out because they don't have a tax presence in her new state which levies an income tax. Oops. So she had to choose between not moving, quitting, or becoming a contractor. She did the latter but is now having to jump through hoops for family health insurance. Just something to be aware of.

Me, I've gone nomadic, and it turns out that things can get tricky if you don't have a permanent physical address, but there are options that RVers and "Van Lifer"s talk about a lot.