Meet the Modders

This is because [space & time] are indeed thoroughly inseparable. My own interpretation is that we perceive as "time" is a thorough transition of states (of everything we think we perceive) at a constant "rate."

Agreed on the first point. I've always understood/interpreted "space-time" as a somewhat clumsy neologism labeling a four-dimensional model of reality. A cube+line are quite different from a tesseract.

However, I have to agree with Einstein & Feynman on the "constant rate" debate. Experiences are generally relative. Sixty seconds sitting on a park bench flirting just doesn't flow at the same rate as sixty seconds sitting on a hot stove. Or, as many of us here at CFC have learned from direct experience, a year just doesn't last as long as when we were 5 years old.

:pat: acceleration on the time axis and the increasing gravitational force + inertia ... there's a definitely a correlation if not a causality :old:

:think: ... To restate: "Time" no more exists by itself than does "Space." A priori, we have a distinct "impression" of a difference.

Yet I have always found confounding he various definitions of what a "dimension" is, range from, "possible degrees of motion within a closed system," to a (somewhat grumbling) "Bugger off, you witless dilettante. 'Dimension' is nothing more or less than a mathematical, used by physicist."

I would suggest that a "dimension" is simply a definitional subset of how many coordinates are required to pinpoint a location is an N dimensional system. Note that this humble definition of mine not only obviates the, "Arrow Of Time," but of the necessity of Time itself being a necessary component of, e.g., a 4 dimensional ("spacetime") system.

Therefore, "transitions" between States (the entirety of the Universe, if defined on an "Einsteinian" scale - although I suspect this might encompass the Quantum as well ... :think: ... :think: ...) can be viewed as independent of anything behind whatever causes us to perceive Time - or, to quote Einstein: "Past, Present, and Future are illusions - but they are persistent illusions."

... coordinates are required to pinpoint a location is an N dimensional system.
Map, not territory as the old saying goes. Consider the case of working with a VR game engine. We're discussing a dynamic system rather than a static one. What you refer to as " 'transitions' between States". To represent the whole system, coordinates would need to include measurements of the transitions. They're needed whether it's transitions across space, transitions of hue, temperature transitions, or whatever. And everything is perpetually in transit. So that fourth axis just as integral as the other three. If the "arrow of time" is a conceptual stumbling block, perhaps it would help to think of it as a fourth degree of freedom in a synergetic relationship with up/down, left/right and fore/aft.

I've often thought of Why Not Sneeze, Rose Sélavy? as a cubist sculpture (3D) attempting to represent the 4D experience. Marble cubes = bird. Significance of the thermometer is left as an exercise.

Map, not territory as the old saying goes. Consider the case of working with a VR game engine. We're discussing a dynamic system rather than a static one.
All thermodynamic systems are dynamic, until entropy (which - and the italics are here because the thought is my own - [entropy] only occurs within closed systems; all others are negentropic) "deletes" all states within the system, which raises an interesting questions about the second law of thermodynamics, as in, Where does all that energy and information "go?"

To represent the whole system, coordinates would need to include measurements of the transitions.
Why? I never suggested that an overall "state transition" requires the independent state transition of any - or even all - of a system's inherent components: If nothing else, this would imply that any given instantiation of a system would require the "action" of some set, of component elements of that instantiation, to drive the entirety of the state's transition. In terms of Einsteinian spacetime, that becomes a tautology, whereas an external "driver" (of course, I cannot properly use the term "force" here) not only does not, but cannot, require any such internal state transition.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing... sort of like "Go Fund Me" on the Internet.

If People can download the City Sets for Free.... why would they pay for them?

Guess you would have to make all new city sets for sale that you have Not Uploaded.

But if you are successful selling what could be downloaded for free... Please let me know :)

Yes, I was thinking the same thing... sort of like "Go Fund Me" on the Internet.

If People can download the City Sets for Free.... why would they pay for them?

Guess you would have to make all new city sets for sale that you have Not Uploaded.

But if you are successful selling what could be downloaded for free... Please let me know :)

^_^ The point of selling gfx is that you give the buyer the license to use them in commercial games they are making (using them in a civIII mod isn't that). But I was obviously joking that I expect civ modders to buy them; it was a rather more elegant way to say that you could go see, even though you have no reason to buy yourself ;)

So what do we do for Civ3?

Poit! Well, of course, but, since in my present campaign a Conquest victory is all but unachievable, Brain, what other plans do we have? Maybe eat cheese sticks and play with matches?

Zort!

Looks like it's been two-thirds of a year since I posted an update here. And I've also been on CFC less, so it's probably time for an update.

The first 4-5 months of 2021 was kind of like 2020. Moved in with a friend, but life was pretty boring. Still, there were improvements; living with a friend, having two cats as roommates in April, and being able to visit family as they got vaccinated. The real change came with becoming vaccinated myself, however, and thus venturing back into the world starting in May.

Since then, I've been having a great summer, and traveling a significant amount since the start of July, mostly in the Appalachian area of the U.S., as well as the rest of Virginia and North Carolina. I've discovered hiking as a new hobby, and have also cycled three times the distance I have in any previous year. I'm actually in good shape, and in much better mental health than a year ago.

The tradeoff? Less time online, and at CFC. But also that I haven't been employed. Which in my case was intentional, and planned, as a way to enjoy the summer before what was then known as the Indian variant disrupted life again, and to restore mental health. I'd say it's been a successful plan, and I'm once again near where I was in early 2020 in terms of life happiness, but with a new hobby as well, and a more outdoorsy nature. The time off has also allowed me time to reflect on what I want out of life, from a healthy mental state that was lacking when I'd been stuck at home for a year.

I plan to continue traveling, mostly to Appalachia, this fall, until the weather starts becoming too cool to enjoy summer-y activity, and probably go back to work at that point. Although the going back to work part is somewhat in doubt due to the current public health situation, and only being interested in 100% in-person positions in the software industry, which are rather lacking. I'm not too concerned as financially I can ride out whatever disruptions there are, but if in-person opportunities continue to be rare, I may spend the winter exploring a change of careers to one that requires being in-person to perform the work. Being around people is too important to my health to ignore.

All of which is to say 2021 has been a fairly good year. Maybe not quite as good as 2019, which was a high-water-mark year for me, but definitely one of the better ones in the past decade. Going forward, the question will be can I keep up the positives from this year, while also having a satisfying job bringing in income?

There's a thread for Civilization's 30th anniversary contest, in case anybody's interested.

I made a contribution to the 30th anniversary thread and 20 years of Civ 3. A small cartoon that I posted at CFC in 2007 and that was lost with CFC changing the provider: https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...-a-present-get-one-back.672969/#post-16152155

Which reminds me, our 20th is coming up very soon... :think:

For the Civ 3 anniversary I am working on a German C3C localisation of the GOG version of Civ 3 Complete combined with a German version of the Flintlock patch and additionally I am working on the next version of CCM 2.50, combined with the option to play the SOE scenario and the Flintlock patch (so I think the later will not be finished in October 2021).

Not precisely because of any anniversary, but I'm trying to get around to making any/some underwater/bottom-of-the-sea graphics work.

10 years of Marriage, going strong.
( Been Civing for 20 tho... :) )

Zubareva and Ronning

241123558_2581872605290528_7653883210815152564_n.jpg

Attachments

• 111111.jpg
    111111.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 40

ronning... That's Great and Very Happy for you both. I am guessing that Zubareva is OK with your CIV endeavors too.

Reminds of the song Lyrics by Genius, "hold on loosely but don't let go"... Best for Both Husband and Wife, Total Security and Freedom as you help each other :thumbsup:

Reminds me of Irish humourists going on about the love triangle between a man, his wife and the drink.

Top Bottom