1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Memory Allocation Error: not enough memory

Discussion in 'Civ5 - SDK / LUA' started by Pazyryk, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Pazyryk

Pazyryk Deity

Does anyone know anything about this error? We've always had them (on a seemly random basis) in Éa:
    1. Seems associated with popup UI, possibly with largish images (~800 kb dds). I've been careful in my code to unload textures after use.
    2. Seems to hit any player (or me) without regard for how awesome or decrepit our computer is.

I should probably try to understand the lua memory stats that are printed in one of the logs. At a glance these looked well under limits, if I was reading them properly.

2. Pazyryk

Pazyryk Deity

Funny, I finally searched this topic using the Google Custom Search box (the "search this forum" never works for me - just gives me pages of my own posts...) and I get dozens of hits to Civ4. Not a single hit to Civ5. Man, Civ4 must have been awfully buggy compared to Civ5 ;).

OK, so one advice given back then was (for Vista) setting the "3GB switch" and then applying Large Address Aware. The issue then was not being able to address >2Gb memory when using 32-bit application on a 64-bit processor. Is this still a possible issue today with Windows 7/8? (I haven't looked to see how much memory Civ5 uses, or Civ5+Éa. I guess I should look at that.)

3. bane_

bane_ Howardianism High-Priest

With only 8GB (1600MHz, cas#8) I can juggle between Photoshop, Chrome (plenty of tabs), CiV, Notepad++ (many tabs) and ModBuddy, but one more RAM-heavy application and you start to feel a drag.
    I would say CiV goes 1,5GB (commited), but not much beyond that. With Éa, I don't know, but this information may be a good starting point. :)

4. carloscodex

carloscodex Chieftain

It would be great if you could attach the dump file.

5. Pazyryk

Pazyryk Deity

It's not a CTD. It acts as if it's a Lua error. So you see the error line "Memory Allocation Error: not enough memory" in the fire turner and the particular Lua chunk crashes (though I've isolated the effect of that with xpcall). However, I'm printing Lua memory usage every turn and there is no "leakage" or increase in Lua memory useage. And it is very much happening with UI display of largish dds files, though not really that large. I suspect it is one of the UI Controls that specifically croaks (e.g., SetTexture or SetSize) but I haven't tracked it down at that level yet. It's hard to track because it is infrequent/inconsistent.