1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Mic3 - Wonder Expansion

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by microbe, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Kaiser_Berger

Kaiser_Berger Terran Emporer

I have one though on our research path. Do we want to try the Republic gambit? I think it's possible to pull it off, especailly since we'll get another city fairly soon. We have a while until we really need to decide, as we've got a while to go on writing yet.

I've got it, and I'll play later today.

2. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

I am not sure. Normally at Emperor I do not dare to try this as it's quite risky.

3. Ankka

Ankka Deity

What is the Republic gambit? never heard of it IIRC...:hmm:

4. Kaiser_Berger

It's where you research Code of Laws first, then hop ethat you still get Philosophy first so you can take the Republic as your free tech.

5. barbslinger

barbslinger Gun blast'n shot drinker

/delurk Which works really nice. Have completed the gambit a few times. /lurking

6. grs

grs nameless one

If we do the republic gambit we may have to stray from the proposed wonder path. We will have the Colossus in 8 and writing in 24. If we do CoL and then Philosophy we will have to rely on the Oracle and the Pyramids as wonder builds. If the AI gets both wonders before we have Philosophy we may lose all our shields. If not we should chose the Oracle.

I think we should let the game develop a bit further. If we are confident that we can get the Pyramides too, we could try the republic gambit, time will tell us more on our chances.

Edit:
    If we do not do the republic gambit, I agree. If we try to get the Pyramids we will have to build no more warriors/spears in between.

@microbe: what are the excact settings of this map, especially: what bararian setting did you use? If we have sedentary we could go with less protective units. I don't fear the AI on emperor that soon in the game.

7. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

Barb setting is default. Map is standard continent with 70% water.

No AI has started any wonder yet. But I agree if we do the Republic gambit (which I am still not sure) we should build Oracle first. Cheap wonders == faster expansion.

But I'm not worried about Barbs. I worry about AI. If we have too little defense they WILL sneak attack. Never ever leave a town empty.

8. Kaiser_Berger

Preturn- We look good. Colossus in 8.

IT- zzz

T1 2110

Moscow grows to six, but requires no additional lux.

IT- zzz

T2 2070

Nothing new.

IT- zzz

T3 2030

India now has IW too.

IT- zzz

T4 1990

Nothing new.

IT- zzz

T5 1950

Ottomans have IW too. I decide to grab it from China for The Wheel and 120g. I decided to trade the Wheel and gold instead of Alphabet so we can keep them from the writing branch of the tech tree for as long as possible.

IT- zzz

T6 1910

Moscow is now size 7. I up the lux to keep it in order. Colossus in 2.

IT- Our southern scout gets whacked by barbs.

T7 1870

Nothin new.

IT-

We set Moscow to warrior.

T8 1830

With the increased income from the Colossus, we can drop our lux rate back to 30.

IT- Moscow-warrior-settler

T9 1790

Not much new. With the new MP, we can drop lux to 20.

IT- zzz

T10

Nothing new.

Afterthoughts

No one has started any wonders yet, so we can probably get the Oracle if we start it after the settler. I think we're in a good position to try the Republic gambit. After checking the F10 screen, the only other commercial civ in the game aside from Inida is the Iroquois, so its doubtful that the other continent will be getting down the writing path any faster tahn us. If we settle our next city on the river, we should be able to research at a fast enough pace to pull it off. Ideally we'd get Philosophy, take Republic, revolt, form our republic, and build the MoM a turn or two later to spark our golden age.

9. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

Hmm? I already bought Iron Working. Did I upload a wrong save or sth? Maybe I did the trade after I saved the file. Anyway, not a big deal.

I think we should build a temple before another wonder? After all we are going for 20K, and an early temple is worth a lot, not mentioning the happiness.

microbe
    Kaiser_Berger
    grs - up
    Kiech - on deck
    Ankka
    TheNemesis666

10. grs

grs nameless one

Got it!

On the temple: In 4 turns we will produce 12 shields. With the settler due in 2 we need to switch production to the forest for 1 turn and will then get the temple in 5. Just because it works out that nice in 5 turns we should do the temple first.

On the next city: as we won't get that many that fast I'd like a bit more input. If we want to place it on the river this seems best to me.

Another idea might be to go for the furs

11. Kaiser_Berger

Yeah, I was thinking of either of those sites. It just depends on what we feel we need first, the river or the furs.

12. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

It's a tough call, the river city would get two BG tiles immediately. But I guess I'd still go for the furs..the second city for a long time will be producing military and workers/settlers I guess.

13. TheNemesis666

TheNemesis666 Warlord

hey guys, just a quick post to say i'll be away on a work trip for the next two days. don't think i'll be up before I'm back but I'll check as soon as I return and play immediately if I am.

(and I reckon the furs too, river would be nice but so would lux, lux will keep more people happy in our wonder city for cheaper)

14. Ankka

Ankka Deity

I'd go for the river, the river is always good, so we don't need an aqueduct. :)

With only a few cities and slow growth we'll want big, effective cities, so OCP would be good IMHO, we want to use all the tiles possible.

15. grs

grs nameless one

PreTurn: find a scout in Moscow
    IBT: nothing
    1725BC: nothing
    IBT: Moscow settler-temple
    1700BC: see that I miscalculated the temple by 4 shields...disbanding the scouts would get us where we need to
    1675BC: nothing
    1650BC: disband 2 scouts at Moscow
    1625BC: nothing
    1600BC: St. Petersburg founded at the furs
    IBT: Moscow temple - The Oracle
    1575BC: nothing
    1550BC: nothing
    1525BC: nothing
    1500BC: nothing

The Oracle is due in 22 - though it will get it a bit sooner. We will learn writing in 4.

We need to decide on "The Rebuplic Gambit". As India still misses writing I say we try it and go for CoL at max next. We should slot in a curragh after The Oracle is finished, as we could build it in one turn then. Not sure if we want OCP, but Moscow should be able to work all its tiles.

Proposed next city in a food rich region.

16. Ankka

Ankka Deity

I like that next city spot... nice bonus food. We need workers, we want to have our possibly very small area developed to the max.

17. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

microbe
    Kaiser_Berger
    grs - on deck
    Kiech - up
    Ankka
    TheNemesis666

Our second city should probably switch to a rax before producing more military. We need some vet spearmen and horsemen.

The blue dot seems fine, and it would come closer to the iron?

EDIT: I would have built a curragh first.

18. grs

grs nameless one

We could not have built it in one round back then. I did not want to waste a single turn.

19. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

Hmm, but there are a lot of wonders to build. I don't think we are in such a big hurry..

20. Kiech

Kiech King

Got it. Let's see what I can do here.