1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Mic3 - Wonder Expansion

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by microbe, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Kiech

Kiech King

Caution: Building the pyramids will cause a major cascade...and we might not get MoM or the Library.

2. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

I don't understand. Is Philosophy or Literature already known? Even so, whatever we do wouldn't matter, unless we get the two techs within 2 turns.

3. Kiech

Kiech King

I am saying that when I build the pyramids, the other civs are able to cascade onto the other wonders that I prefer to build.

4. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

Which wonders? Nobody can build MoM or Great Library yet. Pyramids is what we want to build now. In fact it helps to end the cascade I think.

5. grs

grs nameless one

Kiech: sorry, your reasoning is not understandable. It may have been the case in some of your games, if that is what you like to say, but otherwise microbe is right.

6. Kiech

Kiech King

The point is: we won't know if the unmet civs have philosophy until we learn it. Keep building the pyramids, by all means, but except for denial purposes, I don't see it as a real boon to our game.

Edit: I realize that I am tired right now, and have been sweating my butt off all day waiting for the AC guy to come save me from my 100F apartment. But: building the pyramids won't stop the cascade, as the other civs will simply move to ToA then cascade to my beloved MoM(which I think we should build instead) and remove our possibility of grabbing the lighthouse.

7. Kaiser_Berger

Kaiser_Berger Terran Emporer

The ToA cost around 500 shields, IIRC. The Pyramids are only 300, I think. Even if an AI was about to complete the Pyramids when we complete them, when they switch over to the ToA, they'll still have a ways to go to build it, even with emperor level production bonuses. Our prebuild for MoM shouldn't be threatened at all.

8. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

Kiech: your point taken, but that's a too general one IMHO. Consider our particular game: we either build oracle in 2 turns or pyramids in less than 10. How does building pyramids make the cascade worse? In general, the more expensive a wonder we build, the more likely we are going to end the cascade since AI will be forced to switch to cheap wonders. As you said AI would still switch to ToA, but that's always true regardless what we do.

So I still don't get what you mean. Oracle is a useless wonder. If we spend 8 more turns and get Pyramids that would be far worth it. We are not in a hurry to finish a wonder, as we lack military and Philosophy is still many turns away.

9. TheNemesis666

TheNemesis666 Warlord

sorry guys, went to bed early last night but came home from work sick today so i'm about to start playing, will post shortly.

edit: have read through everything now too, I reckon pyra's too. If i can get peace with the ottos, i'll try time a settler build about the same time.

@microbe: we can't have more cities than wonders, what about settlers? Can I have him built, moved and on the square ready to settle, just awaiting the completion of the pyra's?

10. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

We can build settlers as we want, but can't settle without enough wonders.

I'm not sure how our military looks like. If too weak I'd delay settler to start military first?

11. TheNemesis666

TheNemesis666 Warlord

military is not too bad. :crazyeye:
    5 war (1e, 3r, 1c)
    1 r.archer
    2 workers, 1 slave (with nasty looking spades)

btw ottos will sign peace for 60g, what do we think? (we have 307g)

12. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

Does Ottoman or anyone else knows Writing? If not, then there is no fear for it to buy anyone against us, so we can delay the peace for some extra war happiness. If yes, I would make peace. I would also make peace if it has horses and HBR to avoid some surprise attack.

13. TheNemesis666

TheNemesis666 Warlord

preturn
    sci80%, lux10%, COL 5t, 0gpt, 307g
    hmm, decide against attacking with archer, the odds are slightly against us
    MM moscow, halving growth but shaving a turn off pyramids

IBT
    otto r.archer appears se of warrior and archer
    otto spear and warrior move nw (towards our furs)

975BC (1)
    e.war vs r.archer, wins 1/5 (ouch, i didn't want to use the archer as I want him in pete)
    r.war w out of pete to cover furs
    r.archer to pete
    hmm, i peace with ottos at the cost of 60g (didn't want to lose e.war and am worried about the rng @ pete)
    sci80%, lux20%, COL 4t, -2gpt, 247g (we lost our negative WW I think as moscow has over balanced to unhappy)

IBT
    Ottomans are building the Temple of Artemis
    Ottomans are building the Oracle

950BC (2)
    e.war heads for pete
    r.war on furs returns to pete
    sci70%, lux20%, COL stays 3t, +1gpt, 245g

925BC (3)
    e.war arrives in pete

900BC (4)
    e.war fots in pete to heal
    worker team completes grassland @ moscow, they head for horse @ pete

875BC (5)
    we discover COL
    sci80%, lux20%, Philo 10t, -2gpt, 248g
    worker team starts mine on horse

850BC (6)
    sci80%, lux20%, Philo now 8t, -2gpt, 246g (pete grew)
    indians have construction

825BC (7)
    zzz

800BC (8)
    worker team completes horse, heads for grassland on river @ moscow (next to grow)
    MM moscow, restore growth to 2fpt, pyra stay 1t

775BC (9)
    Chinese are building The Statue of Zeus!
    Chinese are building the Temple of Artemis
    Indians are building the Oracle
    We complete the Pyramids in Moscow->Oracle (placeholder only, next player may swap as desired)
    pete settler->spear (debating barracks but we need to pickup our military)

IBT
    aargh, barb horse appears on border near moscow, adjacent to our workers!

750BC (10)
    move settler stack to mt
    I cancel the workers mine but leave their movement to the next player.
    (best move I can see is move them all w and bring the 2 r.war's from pete out to protect them. moscow will need lux if you take it's war's)

@Microbe, feel free to swap any builds you like. (all 2 of them) :)

>>> SAVE <<<

14. TheNemesis666

TheNemesis666 Warlord

sorry I only just saw your reply to my peace q.

Also, where do we want our next city, I was thinking the grassland s of the game. Or if we want a tighter placement the forrest w of the game is also on a river.
    edit: hmm, only just notice north of the game is OCP. (i think)
    (note: that's not an otto settler pair)

15. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

Good job! Making peace was necessary. I would have done so as soon as I saw their units. :)

16. grs

grs nameless one

17. TheNemesis666

TheNemesis666 Warlord

I'd forgotten there was a dotmap earlier. Looks good.

18. Kaiser_Berger

Kaiser_Berger Terran Emporer

I also think the Flood Plains site looks good.

19. Kiech

Kiech King

The FP site is nice and will get us a productive town. I wonder if there is a way to grab the ivory or iron though. I wish we knew what was on that island...

Edit: Maybe we should work the actual numbers to find the best spot near the FP area. I actually am looking at the grass directly S of the deer as well. Screw tight city placement, we want to cover as much area as possible with our culture.

20. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

microbe - up
    Kaiser_Berger - on deck
    grs
    Kiech
    Ankka
    TheNemesis666

I'll play this tonight. I'll build a curragh first, then probably a settler. I had hoped to produce settler from the second town but it seems it grows slow. We can get the flood plain site, produce workers and merge back to capital.