1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Mic3 - Wonder Expansion

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by microbe, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Kiech

Kiech King

The save

Pre-flight: Not much to tell. I could trade for horseback writing, but its not necessary right now, so I leave it be. I really want to see what is on that island just next to us, a curgah might be in order. I think that settling on the silks or ivory, or some iron would be a better city choice than flood plain land. We definatley need extra workers. No idea why the workers are making a mine for st peter instead of getting the roads connected. Lux tax can be set for 10%. No way to improve our science.

IBT: St Peter: warrior -> worker

(1)1475: :sleep:

(2)1450: Lux to 20% as Moscow grows. I set the town to grow rather than produce...

(3)1425: :sleep:

IBT: India demands 28g...I cave. He has just learned mathmatics. Chineese are building the pyramids, and I start on code of laws.

(4)1400: China and the Otto have Polytheism. Time to trade out Alphabet. Alpha to Otto for HBR and 130g. Alphabet and 279g to China for Polytheism. Polytheism to Gandi for MM and 40g.

(5)1375: :sleep:

IBT: Pete makes a worker and move on to temple.

(6)1350: The new worker starts on the furs.

(7)1325: Workers finish road to Pete. Now all three are working on the furs. Gandi has 2 workers for sale...but apparently he is now talking to the chineese or the automans, so all I have for trade is writing, and I decide to hold it.

(8)1300: :sleep:

IBT: Furs are connected. 2 Automan archers are marching towards Pete...heh.

(9)1275: Lux goes down, sci goes up. Change Pete to a warrior.

IBT: Automans are DEFINATLEY poised to attack. China is building Zeus.

(10)1250: Well, if Otto is gonna make a stupid move on us, I am going to take all of his gold. I setup a 'loan', then tell him to leave. He declares.

Debreifing: Telling the computer to start the next turn isn't mine to do, so you will find that the AI will attack you with the archers as soon as you start up the save. I didn't reset the science, so please do so. Anyways, on my own, I did play ahead to see how bad it would be, and we ended up with an elite warrior.

2. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

A sneak attack is almost guaranteed to come if we have too little military. We should make military a highest priority in our second town. I didn't open the save so I don't know how many units we have.

Kiech: I don't quite get your last sentence, but if you mean you played an extra turn after the save, please leave the spoiler information to yourself.

microbe
    Kaiser_Berger
    grs - on deck
    Kiech
    Ankka - up
    TheNemesis666

3. Ankka

Ankka Deity

And those battles can change a lot depending on the RNG...

Why do I get the sneak attack- turns?

Oh well... I'll try to play tonight, so consider this a got it.

4. Ankka

Ankka Deity

Playing now, preper for a mess.

5. Ankka

Ankka Deity

1250BC [Preturn]: CHeck to see where we are going.

Those Ottoman archers may be a threat, we must win at least one battle. Two regular archers attacking two regular warriors... or maybe I should attack? :hmm:

I have no other choice but ress enter and wish the best.

IBT: Our warrior wins them losing one hp alltogether and promotes first veteran, then elite. :D

Two more Ottoman units come into view.

St.Petersburg warrior > warrior.

1225BC [1]: The Ottoman units are a warrior and a spear. the spear might cause trouble... switch Petersburg to archer.

IBT: The Otto guys just sit there. :hmm:

1200BC [2]: Notice we aren't researching at all. Set science to 70%, we get CoL in 15 @ +1gpt.

1175BC [3] - 1050BC [8]: :sleep:

IBT: Petersburg archer > settler. The Oracle is ready soon, we want to use the possibility to get a city.

1025BC [9]: Move the elite warrior and archer S of Petersburg.

1000BC [10]: I'll let the next better player to decide whether he wants to attack the Ottoman units or not.

Oracle is due in 2, I don't know what to build after it, ToA could be a good one, only the Indians are building it, and in a size 1 city... we should be able to get it.

6. Ankka

Ankka Deity

Save and screenie. :)

7. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

So we survived. No attack from a warrior on a fortified spear!

I'll look at the save tonight. I have some questions to answer:
    1. should we build oracle or not? normally it's a junk wonder. How about Pyramids? At least as a deny to the AI it would be very useful, and help our growth too.
    2. should we build a rax and a couple of spears in our second town first? It also depends on question 1 - if we build Oracle the capital can work on military for a while before MoM is available. In any case we have to have a military town! I don't want to be sneak attacked again, especially when expansion is close to over.

8. Ankka

Ankka Deity

There's a reg archer under the elite warrior. :p I don't know if it is very clever, though, still, to attack...

We could get the Pyramids in less then 10 turns... would be good one to get it, especially to get the AI power down. :)

The settler can be vetoed by next player. :)

9. grs

grs nameless one

1. If we can get the Pyramids for sure we should switch - although at least one AI is building it. We have to avoid getting no wonder through a cascade.
    2. I would not build military in Moscow if we can avoid it. We want a curragh (or maybe even two) and then start for the next wonder which will be the Mausoleum.

10. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

If Pyramids can be built within 10 turns, definitely we should go for it. When did AI start building wonders? I'll have to check the save more carefully before we make a decision.

11. Kaiser_Berger

Kaiser_Berger Terran Emporer

I agree that we should take the Pyramids if the AI is being slow in building them. Provided we have Polytheism, we can then use the ToA as a prebuild for MoM after we get out a curragh or two. The ToA is so dreadfully expensive that I doubt we have to worry about anyone building it before we get Philosophy.

12. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

So go for Pyramids. Since we have ToA as backup, there is no fear that we'll lose the cascade. Then we can time a good prebuild for MoM.

microbe - on deck
    Kaiser_Berger
    grs
    Kiech
    Ankka
    TheNemesis666 - up

13. Ankka

Ankka Deity

The only problem is that the MoM is so cheap... we'll lose shields anyway unless we build the whole ToA...

14. grs

grs nameless one

Don't see us losing shields. We get The Pyramids in about 10, then we build a curragh and maybe some military, then start the prebuild (ToA for MoM). We will have researched CoL in 5 (screenshot) as without being able to look at the save, I predict we will have Philosophy before we accumulated the shields for MoM - especially since we can time it as we like. So I see no problem here. We should be able to time it so we get the MoM as soon as possible since we will go for the GL next.

15. Ankka

Ankka Deity

I will be away from tomorrow, the 29th, to Sunday the 1st of August.

16. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

If we miss Pyramids then we can go for ToA.

17. Ankka

Ankka Deity

That is true, but it will take longer.

18. TheNemesis666

TheNemesis666 Warlord

this is a got it. I've just returned from a work trip and I am still at work at the moment, should be able to play and post in about 8 hours.

19. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

Make sure you read the discussion. Switch Oracle to Pyramids and watch Ottoman. I wouldn't mind if we make peace asap, and switch the settler to rax and build some spears.

20. TheNemesis666

TheNemesis666 Warlord

I'd had a quick read over it but was intending to read it all before starting.