Microsoft Visual C++ Debug Library Error

Bluemofia

F=ma
I'm sure this is not the modder's fault, however I am wondering if anyone else who has played this scenario (I'm addicted to it, I'm afraid) has run into this problem.
I tweaked the scenario with the editor to allow unlimited turns and the game usually crashes somewhere between turn #140 and 180.
I used a few tech forums to solve the problem, but now I get this error message that sounds like a pagefile problem or a problem in the Civ code. It reads :

Microsoft Visual C++ Debug Library in Program: (Filepath)...Civ3Conquests.exe
Damage: after Normal Block (#2882644) at 0x0B707AE0

I searched numerous tech forums and the MS Knowledge DB, but couldn't find any match any closer than "Damage after Normal Block", all matches as such pointing to an actual code error and not a hardware or pagefile problem. Does anyone have any experience that points to a hardware (chipset?) problem or a pagefile problem?

I'm running a full Gig of RAM on XP, BTW. Has anyone else using this scenario run into this problem or one like it? Thanks.

I'm sure this is not the modder's fault, however I am wondering if anyone else who has played The Dragon and the Rood (I'm addicted to it, I'm afraid) has run into this problem.

Description of problem:
I tweaked the scenario, Dragon and the Rood, with the editor to allow unlimited turns and the game usually crashes somewhere between turn #140 and 180.
I used a few tech forums to investigate the problem, but now I get this error message that sounds like a pagefile problem or a problem in the Civ code. It reads :

Microsoft Visual C++ Debug Library in Program: (Filepath)...Civ3Conquests.exe
Damage: after Normal Block (#2882644) at 0x0B707AE0

It then gives the usual choice of Abort, Retry, or Ignore. Pressing Retry usually crashes to the desktop.

I searched numerous tech forums and the MS Knowledge DB, but couldn't find any match any closer than "Damage after Normal Block", all matches as such pointing to an actual code error and not a hardware or pagefile problem. Does anyone have any experience that points to a hardware (chipset?) problem or a pagefile problem? Or is this just a rare code bug?:confused:

I'm running a full Gig of RAM on XP, with a 128MB video card. Has anyone else run into this problem or one like it? Thanks. :confused:

I'm running a Dell something or other crap with windows XP. I've modified the scenario a bit to give me more turns. There are no advances or wonders about to come up as far as I can tell.

I get this error:
Microsoft Visual C++ Debug Library

Debug Error!

Program: ...ames Interactive\Civilization III\Conquests\Civ3Conquests.exe

DAMAGE: after Normal block (#1100921) at 0x0a3582B0

(Press Retry to debug the application)

If I press Retry the game crashes, if I press ignore I can continue playing it seems. Obviously since I can still play it's no biggy but anyone have any ideas on what's causing it? Do I have to reinstall my game?

Got a problem, keep getting following error message every time I attach some one.:( :
Debug Error!
Program: ...ames Interactive\Civilization III\Conquests\Civ3Conquests.exe
DAMAGE: after Normal block (#2214545) at 0x0D034300.

This comes in about 20 times, this is last message then game closes. It doesn't happen in other games, just yours.:cry:
Until now I have been having fun, at 970 bc with gun powder ie but not yet steam power, 65% of world, 80% people, cities can grow greater than > 16 finally.:confused:

So I'm playing around with some units, and I came across these same peculiar bugs, and I may have found the root cause of this error:
Error.png

For the benefit of those using search engines, the error in question in my instance is:
Code:
Debug Error!
Program: ...Meier's Civilization III Complete\Conquests\Civ3Conquests.exe

DAMAGE: after Normal block (#86906) at 0x13A810D0.

(Press Retry to debug the application)

This isn't super easily reproduced, unfortunately. The root cause of my instance however, was traced to the West facing death animation of ShiroKobbure's Nara Swordsman (see attached). I don't know about the other errors, but this error only seems to trigger directionally (the East death animation never triggers this, while West always does). Playing the Death animation in the Civ3FlcEdit does not generate the error, unfortunately.

In another unit in that pack, the error may have been reproduced there, but it was not made clear (I myself haven't tested them yet either). It was listed as the following, however it will only show up in FLICster, not Civ3FlcEdit:
Code:
Run-time Error: '9'

subscript out of range

This may be the way that the flc files were initially created. I am not entirely familiar with the unit making process, as my knowledge back in the day when I was active was rudimentary at best, and I just sort of followed a process/ritual that ended up working.

The way I fixed it, was that I re-generated the .flc file by exporting to storyboard in Civ3FlcEdit, and re-building the .flc file. This seemed to fix the error, but I am hesitant at marking it "fixed", because I didn't really change anything fundamentally.

So, for the benefit of those who also have encountered and will encounter this error, here's some hints on where to look when debugging this error.

Attachments

• Nara Swordsman Errors.zip
    151 KB · Views: 89
Bluemofia... I believe That Error is caused by the FXM file using Civ3FlicEdit. When viewed in Flicster, you will see the Run-time Error Number '9': Subscript out of range.

I am not absolutely sure but I think this is caused when a Unit animation touches the Right frame line. This can cause Streaking/ tearing when an animation is made in Flicster. If the animation and shadows are kept at least 2 pixels away from the Right Frame Line, there is no problem. I believe Civ3FlicEdit will make the animation without Streaking or Tearing when an animation hits the Right Frame Line but perhaps it creates the Subscript Error.

As you can see in your corrected Unit in the West Direction, an outline of the Shadows remain as the unit moves and the first 2 Frames are identical. Civ3FlicEdit duplicates the 2nd Frame by replacing the 1st Frame with the 2nd Frame. This not only removes the 1st frame, causing a lack of smoothness and transition in the animation but it also creates a hesitation because there are two identical frames.

In the case of this unit, a larger Frame Size and using Flicster would have prevented the problems of duplicate Frames and the Error concerning the subscript and crash.

Top Bottom