1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Middle-Earth: Lord of the Mods (Private Beta I)

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by PCHighway, Feb 18, 2005.

1. aaglo

aaglo Furioso!

I don't know, are you stooped? :D
    Maybe I could straighten his back a bit :)

2. PCHighway

PCHighway Pacific Coast Highway

Well, we can give some special attributes to the Hobbit's tracker line. I would like to say that trackers usually move freely through all terrain types, though. As Mrtn says, the only unit that could benefit from this kind of bonus would be the army. The only Hobbit unit, besides trackers, that gets more than 1 movepoint.

Invisible workers will help the Hobbits. Hobbits get fairly weak units, like the Orcs (only stinted more to defense/balance than offense). Yet these units cost almost as much as a mannish unit would. Invisible workers is a great bonus, but not terribly so.

For comparison, this is a picture of Bilbo (just his head, really) in his house with a bunch of Dwarves. He's holding the picture. [John Howe]

Frodo, drawn by Alan Lee, also looks similar:

Here is a picture by Whelan of Frodo and Sam on Mt. Doom (just a link) :
    http://img-fan.theonering.net/rolozo/images/whelan/eagles.jpg

In short, I'd imagine that some Hobbits could be stocky, but it doesn't have to be a rule or anything. Like regular people, they probably varied.

Much thanks Aaglo, that unit looks great. :)
    :goodjob:

3. Mithadan

Mithadan Wandering Woodsman

The pics are there for what? To recommend svelte hobbits?

It's spelt "pitcher," by the way. ;)

4. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

I'm too upright for mere Finns to comprehend. :p
    I think that would be a good idea.

5. aaglo

aaglo Furioso!

6. Maplehurst

Maplehurst Northern Hermit

That makes sense. I think that the bonus for armies is a good idea. While it won't be a huge deal, I imagine that it is easier to move a hobbit army through swamps and forests than an army of men. (Although they do stop to eat frequently. :D )
    That is a good idea...in fact, why not have invisible units predominant during the first few ages? It would certainly give the very weak hobbit player a chance to survive despite his obvious weaknesses. In particular, invisible settlers would be nice. One question though; do barbarians attack invisible units? In particular, I like the idea of workers who attack/defend and upgrade to militia-type units. One question: Is this one of the 'lines' we have been discussing? Because I would like these militia improve as the ages wear on. Perhaps they could be the pitchfork/staff/spear line? I think we are on the right track for hobbits though... :goodjob:
    It certainly sounds like a good idea. Are there any examples within the texts? I don't remember any instances off-hand, but I could be wrong. Having one quick unit might be very good for gameplay, while not necessarily conflicting with accuracy. Especially if the unit was relatively expensive by hobbit unit standards. Any ideas? :confused:
    [offtopic]
    @aaglo: Your units look great! I'm not always a fan of your civpedia pics, however the in-game units are amazing. They will really provide this mod with realism and professionalism. It is very difficult to find unit artists of your caliber, who can produce units of this quality so quickly. Keep up the good work!

7. aaglo

aaglo Furioso!

Hi!
    Here's a preview of a hobbit archer. It looks a bit dull, but I thought about giving him a less-colourful costume, as if he was some sort of hunter. Whadddayay think?

Well, one can't please them all :) . So, what would be the problem with them then? Lack of detail (I really can't help with that) or composition (that can be worked on)?

8. Maplehurst

Maplehurst Northern Hermit

@aaglo - The archer looks great. It might be the hat, but the civilopedia pic looks much better than the previous unit.

Re:
    [QUOTE='a-g-a-lo' ] :p
    Well, one can't please them all :) . So, what would be the problem with them then? Lack of detail (I really can't help with that) or composition (that can be worked on)? [/QUOTE]
    Composition was my problem with the last civpic. He looked a bit monstrous to me. The problem wasn't so much with the quality of your work (which was great) so much as with your representation of the hobbit. However, when it was shrunk to the in-game version, most of these problems weren't visible.

9. Plotinus

Plotinus Philosopher Super Moderator

Good stuff with the Hobbit archer. I like the fact that he seems to be dressed as a butcher!

10. Drift

Drift It's a boy!

Should the archer be more chubby? Other than that, I think it looks good.

11. WildWeazel

WildWeazel Yeah, well... Supporter

Wow, I really can't miss a day on this thread. The units look great, aaglo. The heads do look a little small, and they are bent over a little too much- I always think of hobbits as proud, formal little creatures, holding their heads high and puffing out their little chests to look a little bigger ;)
    BTW, I enjoy your pedia icons :D

12. [Ant]Wimp

[Ant]Wimp Warlord

The archer looks good, but I'd like to see some more colour on him. The proffesor always described hobbits as wearing like greens and yellows; merry colours :)

13. mrtn

mrtn Shaven not stirred

I agree with Weasel and Wimp. :) More upright posture and brighter colours would be good. Maybe a paunch too.
    I'm sure it will be good. :thumbsup:

14. aaglo

aaglo Furioso!

Hi, here's an updated hobbit archer
    - more upright stand (back is not bent so much foward)
    - more colours added
    - bigger belly

15. RRnut

RRnut Civanator

I would say that really looks great. Thanks an awful lot aaglo for doing all this work for us...

16. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

The modified archer looks quite good. :goodjob:

17. Plotinus

Plotinus Philosopher Super Moderator

Great stuff. I still love that hat.

18. AlcTrv

AlcTrv Only goes to one thread.

aaglo, you are a GOD. Thank you.

19. WildWeazel

WildWeazel Yeah, well... Supporter

20. Maplehurst