1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Middle-Earth: Lord of the Mods (Private Beta I)

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by PCHighway, Feb 18, 2005.

1. [Ant]Wimp

[Ant]Wimp Warlord

Yeah! The updated version is perfect! Alot more hobbitlike. Great stuff

Now, Im no UnitMakingGod like you, but is there enough civcolour on him? It looks kinda hard to spot in some op the positions (NE, ZW, W, E). Perhaps its OK ingame, in which case you can bring out your ducktape and gag me :)

2. PCHighway

PCHighway Pacific Coast Highway

Yeah, someone might mistake those short, hairy-feet, hat wearing units as warriors from Mordor :).
    Seriously though, that looks great Aaglo! I think that too much civ-color could detract from the detail of the unit, which has to be reduced because of its size. That's just my opinion though.

3. aaglo

aaglo Furioso!

Hi!
    Here's an idea for a hobbit flailman - or a 'farmer'. The idea is, that he has no shirt, only a sort of vest or waistcoat on him. Also, I'm not yet sure if I can manage to animate that flail well. If it should turn out bad, I think I'll just replace it with a staff (or a broomstick).

The axeman already has green trousers - these are a bit different green... suggestions on this unit (including the trouser's colour) are welcome :)

4. RRnut

RRnut Civanator

Hmmmm.... i'm not sure about that vest, just because I usually think hobbits would have worn waistcoats over something. It just doesn't quite have the right feel, but other wise does look quite good. But I'll use whatever you come up with! :D

5. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

I think the clothes are good. Lower-class hobbits probably weren't too well dressed.

6. Yoda Power

Yoda Power ✫✫✫✫✫✫✫

The flailman is a bodyboulder?:p

7. tjedge1

tjedge1 Writer of writerly things

Me likey! These units are great aaglo. Though he does look a little buff.

8. aaglo

aaglo Furioso!

No, he's a farmer. Farmers do a lot of physical work, which you seem to be completely oblivious (due to the fact that you even have to question his musculature... things) :p ;) :lol:

What? What is "buff"? Fat? Well-built (if you mean this, please look a few inches above for description :p )? :confused:

Anyhow, here's what I thought for the shirriff. Basically it's the same dude as the archer, but with these changes:
    - he wears a sleeveless long chainmail shirt
    - he has a feather in his hat (like all shirriffs do)
    - his hat is a bit different (should it be changed into a helmet?)
    - different colouring on the weaponry

9. mrtn

mrtn Shaven not stirred

Could you make the chainmail cover the whole yellow area? Now it looks like a female dress... Maybe make it a bit shorter too, I dunno.
    Maybe put that yellow on the arms instead, make those more colourful.
    Looking good. :)

10. Plotinus

Plotinus Philosopher Super Moderator

I think "buff" means - ah - "well toned". Personally I have no problems with well-toned Hobbits. Lots of hoeing!

I think the Shirriff should probably have a different hat, if possible, as it makes him look quite like the other one. With a feather, naturally. And how about a cape, to make him look a little "official"? Just an idea.

11. Bjornlo

Bjornlo Deity

Buff means muscular, as in have large and/or well-defined muscles.
    american slang.

12. Bjornlo

Bjornlo Deity

fwiw, hobbits are traditionally pictured as overweight, not just short. Even the more robust ones tend to have a very heavy stomach. They pride themselves on the size of this paunch.
    This is from the JRR Tolkien, the D&D varient (called a halfling) and the more recent movies.

13. WildWeazel

WildWeazel Yeah, well... Supporter

I'm with mrtn, it looks like a dress... if you cover up his shoulders it should be ok. A helmet would be good too, but nothing fancy. Just a little WWII-style metal cap.

14. AlcTrv

AlcTrv Only goes to one thread.

I'm actually kinda partial to the hat over the helmet...

15. WildWeazel

WildWeazel Yeah, well... Supporter

Well, now that I think about it, a feather in a helmet would look kinda odd. How about a leather helmet/hat like an early medieval archer might wear?
    Oh and BTW, can we see a picture of this guy in attack stance? I'm having a hard time picturing the firing motion.
    edit: like this? http://www.xenophongi.org/rushistory/medievalarmor/archer.jpg

16. tjedge1

I knew when I posted that it might raise some eyebrows. Plotinus and co explained it though, so moving on. I wasn't complaining about the muscles, just not used to seeing them on a hobbit/halfling.

Moving on to the shirrif, I think it looks like a dress as well. I like mrtn's idea on this part.

A cape would be cool or a cloak, as I believe they wore in the books right? It was usually a cloak not a cape. The hat looks cool to me, it feels hobbitish to me, but I won't complain, as long as he doesn't end up with a full plated helmet.

17. aaglo

aaglo Furioso!

I think I will do the flailman as presented here. I also attacher a new preview of the shirriff (not much edit there, only the chainmail shirt golds removed, recoloured sleeves, hat made a bit 'narrower').

18. [Ant]Wimp

[Ant]Wimp Warlord

Yeah! Nice Shirrif! The feather looks really nice. But plz no helmet! I think the chainmail is way too armored already. But if everyone is OK with that, than so am I :) The hat is fine as it is imo.

19. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

The Shirrif is looking pretty good. Perhaps make the tip of the feather black.

I'll be away for a couple days. See ya!

20. tjedge1

They both are looking good to me. The black tip on the feather would be a cool touch, but I think it looks good either way. The chainmail looks very good now. I think the slimmer hat looks better this way. No need for an armored one at all, this looks more hobbittish. Unless someone disagrees, I think their both ready. I'm not a modder on this mod though, jut a suggester.