Middle-Earth: Lord of the Mods (XIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wrote a long post, had it swallowed. Never mind, just do what the vote says. And call them Brigands.

The outlaw units would be after the pattern of Sauron in the Shire,

RRnut

You need to learn to save your posts as text when they (the posts) start getting big, RRnut ;). That is what, the 18th time that has happened to you! :)
Ok, what do you think of something along these lines for a Barbarian listing:

AMERICAN-14 (Dwarves)
Amon Rudh
Amon Rudh
Amon Rudh
Gaurwaith
Gaurwaith
Gaurwaith (6, need 8 more)

EUROPEAN-13 (Elves)
Gaurwaith
Gaurwaith
Gaurwaith (3, need 10 more)

MED.-16 (Evil)
Outlaw of Dorthonion
Outlaw of Dorthonion
Outlaw of Dorthonion
Amon Rudh
Amon Rudh
Amon Rudh
Oghor-hai
Oghor-hai
Oghor-hai
Woses
Woses
Woses (12, need 4 more)

MID EAST-17 (High)
Balchoth
Balchoth
Balchoth
Variags
Variags
Variags
Eryn Vorn
Eryn Vorn
Eryn Vorn
Gwathuirim of Enedwaith
Gwathuirim of Enedwaith
Gwathuirim of Enedwaith
Drúedain
Drúedain
Drúedain (15, need 2 more)

ASIAN-13 (Middle-Low)
Hill-men
Hill-men
Gaurwaith
Gaurwaith
Gaurwaith
Swertings
Swertings
Balchoth
Balchoth
Balchoth
Woses
Woses
Woses (Completed)

AMERICAN-1

MID EAST-1

"BARBARIAN"-1

Names of interest to be used as cities I ran across:
Amon Obel
Ephel Brandir
Calenardhon

An incredible set of articles written intelectually and a great source of information:
http://www.merp.com/essays/MichaelMartinez/

Names look good. How about some generic Brigands, Bandits, Outlaws and other such things? Look in the WoA mod and the other me mods to see some ideas.

Re: post was trying to work on my laptop and hit alt and backspace at the same time! Which is back shortcut in IE...

RRnut

Thanks guys. Ok, Mrtn and I have been debating city graphics.

For Middle-Low-
Mrtn wants the Ancient European reed huts for all 4 ages, but adding stone buildings in the Metropolises.

I want to use the Ancient European style for the first era, but for the second era and onwards I want a more wooden centered theme. The cities will be constructing windmills, shrines, marketplaces, walls, lore-houses, and town reservoirs. I don’t think the reed huts do it justice.

So, what I propose is:
High- Basically use the white buildings SM made a while back (here) for the last two eras. The first era can use reed huts, the second can use modified Medieval Euro cities. Modified to make them look slightly less grand.

Low- Use reed huts for a longer period than the “high” line, for only the first two eras perhaps. But for the last two eras they could use the modified Medieval Euro graphics I was talking about earlier.

Dwarves- This is a hard one, actually. I can’t think of much that would fit the style of ME, except Mrtn’s a shade darker, and lacking the gold. Maybe combine that with SM’s Gondor styled cities?

Elves- I like Mrtn’s, again. The only problem is there is no stone structure or houses besides that of the trees. I think that we would need to create a new one, based off of that.

Evil- This one is tough as well. I would prefer something with black stone walls, with very dark grey buildings, but that ain’t gonna happen. So I would just as soon use Mrtn’s.

If you get an idea for Barbarians, add it here:
http://groups.msn.com/LordoftheRingsforCiv3/barbarians.msnw

Be sure to post in the forum if you make a change on the website's information pages. Otherwise I won't know what has been and what has yet to be added to the .biq.

The Elves could have Petty-Dwarves for barbarians - fighting 'tween them and the Sindar are mentioned in The War of the Jewels. In fact, it would seem that the Sindar were a primary reason that Mîm and his sons were the last petty-dwarves.

I don't much like the reed huts. I'd restrict them to the first Era for low, if we can find graphics to cover the rest. Perhaps a Med Euro variant could work?

Dunlendings yes, but Petty-dwarves? They'd still look like the generic "man" brigand gfx... :hmm:

Edit: About city gfx. I thought of playing around with the evil city gfx from WH (i e the brownish version) and try to make something dwarven out of it. I'm not very fond of the dwarf city gfx I posted a year ago with the gold roofs, and the grey version I posted later is too smooth for the intended terrain gfx (though it works with warpstorms...).

I'll have to think about cities. Don't really like the reed huts that much. Nor do I like the SMAC conversions (just played SMAC too much and that's what I see.) I don't really like the elven cities either... As far as the dwarves there was a mine in SM's thread that would look better IMHO.

Uh, is there a RRnut_ph with email address RRnut_ph@hotmail.nospam.com (without the nospam) signed up to the MSN group? because I sign in to that address and then can't get on the site!

RRnut

The Last Conformist said:
Not worse than having Woses/Oghor-hai/Drúedain with the same gfx, is it?
They're a bit taller than petty-dwarves.

Sure, but that doesn't mean that normal mannish gfx fits them well.

Will the adv barb be mounted, BTW? That wouldn't fit either petty-dwarves or woses too well.

(It occurs to me that the epic game has Toltec and Polynesian horsemen. Ouch.)

The Last Conformist said:
Sure, but that doesn't mean that normal mannish gfx fits them well.

Will the adv barb be mounted, BTW? That wouldn't fit either petty-dwarves or woses too well.

(It occurs to me that the epic game has Toltec and Polynesian horsemen. Ouch.)
I don't know; would it add flavour using petty-dwarves? And would the fact that they look like humans bother more than the flavour is worth? :hmm:
You guys just decided to use human barbs instead of wolves; you'll have to decide if they should be mounted as well. :p

Woses were considered to be a race of men by everyone's standards. The Petty Dwarves however, were merely greedy Dwarves, and as being such their ancestry goes back to Aule. I don't think we should add another race to the barbarian listings, it seems un-needed. Even though the Petty Dwarves are a good idea, we are shying away from other races for this reason. First it's Dwarves then it's Goblins. Lets cut it off with humans, and call it a day. If not allowing the Petty Dwarves but allowing the Woses bothers you so much, we can take out the Woses and their other names listed in the Barbarian text.

Actually, I think we should use a type of spearman for the basic barbarian, and an archer for the advanced. This would make each "barbarian camp" harder to take, as the basic barbarians would be used for defense. It would also mean that when the basic unit was sent out, it would do a better job at harassing workers and pillaging because of it's higher defense.

Alright. Each civilization will start out with one technology, in addition to their non-era techs.

Check out the technologies in image form (and on CFC) here, or download the whole tech tree here.

Code:
[u]
Gondor		Masonry		
Arnor		Road Building	
Númenor		Fishing		
Rohan		Lumbering	
Northmen	Lumbering	
Noldor		Mining		
Sindar		Alphabet	
Moriquendi	Road Building	
Dwarves		Mining		
Mordor		Masonry		
Angmar		Lumbering	
Harad		Fishing		
Easterlings	Road Building	
The Shire	Farming		
Isengard	Masonry		
[/u]
[b]
Road Building: 3
Mining: 2
Masonry: 3
Fishing: 2
Farming: 1
Alphabet: 1[/b]

Also, do you guys think we should have Brennus as the leaderhead of Gondor, or the Northmen civilization?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom