Status
Not open for further replies.

PCHighway

Pacific Coast Highway
LotR Thread I:
LotR Modders UNITE!!!
Half-way-point.
LotR Thread II:
Middle-Earth: Lord of the Mods http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?postid=1015305#post1015305
Half-way-point.
LotR Thread III:
Middle-Earth: Lord of the Mods (cont)
Half-way-point.
LotR thread IV:
Middle-Earth: Lord of the Mods (4)
Half-way-point
LotR thread V:
Middle-Earth: Lord of the Mods (5)
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60650 Half-way-point
LotR thread VI:
Middle-Earth: Lord of the Mods (part-hex)
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63116 Half-way-point
LotR thread VII:
Middle-Earth: Lord of the Mods (septa)
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=64619
Half-way-point
LotR thread VIII:
Middle-Earth: Lord of the Mods (octa)
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67049
Half-way-point
LotR thread IX:
Middle-Earth: Lord of the Mods (nona)
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71333
Half-way-point
LotR thread X:
Middle-Earth: Lord of the Mods (deca)
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75258
Half-way-point
LotR thread XI:
Middle-Earth:Lord of the Mods (Undecim)
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80821
Half-way-point
LotR thread XII:
Middle-Earth: Lord of the Mods (XII)
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=89135 [latest]
Half-way-point

The last step.
We have finally come to the point where there is little purpose for the threads in the creating department. This will be the final "pre-beta" thread. We will discuss ideas, opinions, names, and other minor points of detail. Please visit the MSN beta site which holds the majority of information. You will need to apply for membership.

The previous thread's foreword.
From the beginning we have been a team of modders. Being a team, no one person has more authority than the other. Important (and unimportant) decisions get made as a team and by doing this we strive to make the MOD as balanced as possible. Our little democracy is a very good, but inefficient(time wise) way of making a MOD. The people who get involved in the LOTM project come with different opinions. Some view the movie as a perfect representation of the books, others have strong opinions the other way. Because of this, our votes cut much of the "over accurate" information and yet at the same time attempts to follow as close to Tolkien's vision as possible.

Because of this democracy styled-team, our project will take longer than someone going at it solo, but we feel that in its final form it will be the most in-depth LOTR work out there. We wholly encourage people to look at CFC's different scenarios and LOTR MODs, as they each represent someone's opinion on how LOTR should be. But please, stop by and give your opinion on how things should work for LOTM, so we can become a true melting pot of ideas.

Thread Log
-In the Third installment of our collaboration, significant work was completed on the buildings\wonder\improvement front. Unfortunately it was sort of sporadic, and it's hard to define just what we did ;). Discussion of the maps also took place, at which point Yoda Power offered to make an older version of Middle-earth, you can see this here.

-In the Fourth thread, we have gathered some new blood, and discussed about how to implement certain civilizations into the game, namely Isengard and Rohan. We set our course to make it clear, to stomp on the sporadic-ness of the third thread.

-In the Fifth thread, more new blood, significant progress in accumulating graphic designers, and a recession, in which the new blood has expressed their long bottled up opinions on how the mod should go. Talks on the tech tree in a forum based discussion has been put off for a bit. We should let the new (and old) idea's re-circulate, meanwhile, chat based discussion will take place at undefined periods, then re-introduced into the sixth installment of the thread.

-In the Sixth thread, believe it or not more new blood, and many of them CFC 'old-timers'. The tech tree thread should be getting a tech update, to initiate discussion about how to branch the tree itself. Lots of opinions have been rattling around, and we have gotten even more beautiful works and ideas from the unit creators\graphic designers.

-In the Seventh thread, we have developed a secure style of going about making the .bix. And that is by going tab-to-tab. For instance, we already covered the Citizen and General Settings tabs, allowing us to go in depth with the mod. Civilizations are agreed on, and soon we will start on the Civilzations tab.

-In the Eighth thread the Combat Experience is complete, and the Terrain tab is very near this goal also. Now that we wish to have a playable beta out within the month, it is very important that we come to decisions quickly and effectively. The beta itself will be somewhat hap-hazard, missing many civilopedia changes, and constantly evolving to the alpha version. If you want your vote to count, don't forget that even passing modders have their vote, then please post as quickly as possible so we can move on to the next subject. Do not be alarmed if new tabs get brought up before discussion has ended on the other. However we will make sure the vote has been tallied.

-The Ninth thread marks some changes, the release date pointing somewhere around the February month. We are down to the last three tabs in the tab system, Buildings, Units, and Civilization Advances. Some minor changes are taking place, the biggest being the additions of leaders for the civilizations, which will more than likely never be completed until the beta.

-In the tenth thread we have eliminated all tabs except but the Unit and Tech tabs. Hopefully we will go through the units tab quickly, and I can post the beta soon. Again, it will be hard to rush through these tabs, so be patient just a little longer.

-The Eleventh thread worked out well, but went slowly. We have finalized the units, and as Mrtn said, it was like "juggling with eels". We had to try and balance the different unit stats together, to more accurately represent the difference between races. Try making an Orc cheap and fairly powerful, but at the same time try to not make and Elf overly powerful and expensive. Certain units were being eclipsed and we constantly had to make sure all the units fit. It wasn't exactly easy, but I feel we ended up at a good point in MOD progression. Hobbits have yet to be finalized, because we lack graphics. Once we get the graphics (Mrtn and I will shrink down some medieval hobbit-looking units) then we can finalize the hobbits. Mrtn will show me how to do this during the twelfth thread, so hang tight.
All we have left are the Technologies. This might prove to be difficult, but I somehow feel it will be much faster-going than the units.

-In the Twelfth thread we spent much of the time working out the technologies as well as the flavor units. The technologies are complete. You can check out their sub-final version here.

From here on out we will discuss ideas, artwork, and names in the threads.
In a couple of weeks the beta will be playable. :)

FAQ
I strongly recommend the Word Pad document.

View standard Text FAQ:
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads6/LOTM_FAQ_UNI.txt

Download WordPad RTF file:
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads6/lotm_faq.zip

-end FAQ

Resources
View the resources at this link.

Unit Lines
Unit lines are finished. You can view all but the hobbits lines in this post, scroll down to the attachments.

Other CFC LotR\fantasy oreinted threads to look at, in no paticular order (not updated) :
Embryodeads WH MOD
Embryodeads Fantasy Units Preview Thread II
Unit Preview Thread:LOTR
Middle Earth Map
ME: Lord of the Mods (Tech Tree)

Quick question: in another thread someone said that you (Well, I think it was this mod) will be limiting the number of Nazgul to nine; how is this done?

There are three main ideas to do this. The first idea is to simply have nine Nazgûl units available from the start for Mordor (not gonna happen). The second, Mrtn's idea, would be to have the nine Nazgûl units spawn from small wonders only available to Mordor at an exact time. I'll let Mrtn explain this in full when he feels up for it, as it is rather in depth.
My idea (the third) was to give Mordor nine small wonders available from the beginning. These small wonders would be dirt cheap, and should spawn a Nazgûl unit every 400 turns. The wonder would go obsolete in 600 turns, giving the player a 200 turn leeway in-between. The result would be nine Nazgûl units roughly around the third age. Since the game currently ends after 540 turns, it skews things and makes it a bit uneven. I believe we should make the MOD a flat 600 turns.

I'll post the barbarian listings and some revised UU names in a bit.

Let's get the culture groups out of the way then.
This will effect citizen looks\names, city graphics, which civilizations get along with each other, and peer group.
There are two ways we can do this:
High (Gondor, Arnor, Noldor, Númenor, Sindar, Dwarves)
Middle (Moriquendi, Rohan, Northmen)
Low (Isengard(?), Easterlings, Harad)
Hobbits (The Shire)
Evil (Mordor, Angmar)

Another way would be to divide by race, this is our current setup:
High Men (Gondor, Arnor, Númenor)
Middle-Low (Rohan, Northmen, Isengard, Easterlings, Harad, The Shire)
Dwarves (Dwarves)
Evil (Mordor, Angmar)
Elves (Noldor, Sindar, Moriquendi)

I like the current better - in particular, I think the Dwarves and Elves are more deserving of separate graphics than are the Hobbits.

If we nonetheless go for the first one, I'd suggest moving the Isengarders to Middle - I imagine they looked more like their Rohirric neighbours than the distant Easterlings and Haradrim.

Agree with TLC on liking current thing better. IMHO it doesn't make much of a difference on who will like one another, and so graphics are more of a consideration.

RRnut

Given the options above I assume that there can be a max of five culture groups, correct?

The middle-low group does kind of appear to be the "fallback" class where a civ goes if it doesn't match any other group, but I still like the division by race the best :).

Well, we could let the hobbits replace the dwarves as one culture group, if we wanted, or the other way around. The possibilities are, if not endless, then at least more than those two setups. :)
Oh, and the ancient european cities seems to fit remarkably well for the Middle-Low group.

Mmmm, it kinda depends on the citygraphics available. I cant imagine the three elvish civs living in the same cities (graphic-wise). But I dunno what graphics there are out there, but I do think it should be concidered.

[Ant]Wimp said:
Mmmm, it kinda depends on the citygraphics available. I cant imagine the three elvish civs living in the same cities (graphic-wise). But I dunno what graphics there are out there, but I do think it should be concidered.
Yeah, I also think Noldor cities should be different to the more earthbound (aka forest hippie) elves.
One possibility is to make it like this:
High: Gondor, Arnor, Númenor, Noldor
Middle-Low: Rohan, Northmen, Isengard, Easterlings, Harad, The Shire
Dwarves: Dwarves
Evil:Mordor, Angmar
Grey and Dark Elves: Sindar, Moriquendi

If the popHeads for the High guys are beardless it should work to put the Noldor with the men. :)
This way the Moriquendi and Sindar can use the elf city gfx I made.
The High can possibly use the cities aaglo made a while back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom