Minor Civilizations as Resources

I really liked this idea, so I invested some time reducing various city graphics, goody huts, and barbarian camps. thought I'd share what I have at the moment.

I'm trying to stick to only ancient/medieval city graphics, of town or city size (the metros are too big to reduce to 50x50 in most cases).

Wasn't there an 'Eastern European City' or 'Russian City' graphic set out a while back? I'm also looking for a set of white 'desert barbarian' tents I saw previewed recently. Any other goody hut/barbarian camps or city graphics that I haven't hit here?

The current set breaks down as follows:

Row 1: European
Row 2: Med
Row 3: Mideast
Row 4: More Mideast
Row 5: African
Row 6: Asian
Row 7: Southeast Asian
Row 8: American
Row 9: More American
Row 10: Misc Goodyhuts
Row 11: More Misc Goodyhuts
Row 12:Misc Barbarian Camps & Other Community-like structures

Attachments

• mcresourcesample.jpg
    mcresourcesample.jpg
    355.4 KB · Views: 106
:lol: Glad to help

Found those 'desert nomad' tents I was looking for, along with another Amerind Tent. The nomad tents are under 'mideast', though they could as easily be used for north african or Asian civilizations. Neatened the preview up a bit.

I'm leaning toward 'not possible'. Just ran several 'generate map' requests through the edit - with all strategic and luxury resources set first to 10, then to 1 - and even at AR 1 I ran into occurences of duplication. No option buttons I can find that would override the probabilities...

@MP: That's a real shame... I guess I'll have to go back to my original plan of generic minor civs..

Here are Mongol-style tents I was supposed to upload some time ago... maybe some city-maker can have fun with these? :p

The largest tent in the second one has a sort of fur texture I made... good luck! :D

Attachments

• tents.jpg
    tents.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 67
  • tents2.jpg
    tents2.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 69
Woot! Mongol encamepment! Maybe Tartar or Hun.... added...

Edit: I still like the specific-civ plan. Giving each minor civ a very low AR means that there will be few duplicates; most will (at least in the test runs I did earlier tonight) show up grouped pretty tightly, and; if a carthage has an extra Numidian Village, we can have something akin to a mercenary system where that strategic resource can be traded for profit...

Trading, or selling should be a strong issue.
Example I think of would be building of lets say F-16 fighters but then being able to sell if the nation got extra. Same for several modern technics

Cemo

mrtn said:
I just generated a huge map with Horses' appearance ratio set to one, and only got 1 horse. That's good enough for me.

Yeah, it's not the end of the world if the Sioux appear on two different parts of the map 1 out of 10 times...

mrtn said:
Have a Swiss resource appear in mountains and give Swiss Mercs

For my Earth scenario, I'm thinking exactly that. A Numidian Village within the initial culture zone of Carthage that allows them to build Numidian Mercenaries, a Lacota Village (provided I don't turn them into a full-blown Civ in their own right) close to the starting position of the Iroquois, etc...

Edit: Sample tweaked again.

No-one's pointed out any terrain/resource/city graphics they think should be added, and I'm now convinced I fantasized those Russian City Graphics, so here's the compilation pcx. Onwards to finding appropriate civilopedia icons for a good range of minor civs.

Attachments

• MinorCivresources.pcx
    176.8 KB · Views: 46
Hikaro Takayama said:
If you want the minor civs to be clumped together, just set them as luxury resources. I've found in C3C that it tends to group luxury resources on certain continents, but not on others. For instance, one continent will have spice and incense, but not furs or dyes, while another continent has furs and gems, but no incense or spices, and so on. Of course the only problem with that is that you'll have these minor tribes making your citizens happy. :/

Hikaro is correct. Luxuries are usually clumped together to form monopolies. Explaining why minor tribes would cause happiness, and trading them around, on the other hand, may be a bit difficult to explain.

Lincoln offers:
Scythians
world map
25 gold

those little resources look like a lot of fun MP.

that is a GREAT IDEA!!!!! im going to steal it like Dom! BOTH OF you will get credit of course but this could be a WONDERFUL ADDITION to my "real-world settings on earth map" modpack! AWESOME!!!! Im so pumped that ill probably be up till 4 am implementing this awesome idea into my mod!

Edit: in bold....

i am going to iplement one resource per major civ. the resources will be named after their civ and the resources will be pre-placed underneath that civs capital (i play on a world map). That way when one civ conquers another, they still may hire(or force) the natives to work or fight for them.

thank you! however, this idea has a major downside for mod designers....IT TAKES FOREVER to implement 87 new units and 31 new resources and then go around placing resources on the map. i will keep with it though. stay tuned for details!

Top Bottom