Missing Civilizations

Louis XXIV said:
Isn't Alphabet later in Civ4? Do civs really start with stuff so advanced? Since Carthage is historically a mercantilistic power than dominated the mediteranian, I figure they have to start with fishing, so they can get sailing easily. The Phoenicians (who founded Carthage) are the origins of our modern alphabet, so the other tech besides fishing probably should be something that leads to Alphabet. The Wheel works well, since they are from the Middle East).

Yes alphabet is later, it's in the classical age. That aside being the only civ that starts with the ability to trade tech for a good 50 turns or so would just be too powerful. I wouldn't start with something that far in, but you could if you wanted. With the way it's setup you could start with any tech, building or unit or all of them for that matter.

It does sound powerful. I think Fishing and the Wheel would work well (its what Japan has, for what its worth).

I hadn't had the game at that point, now that I own my very copy (thank you :) ) I will fix the alphabet problem. The techs ladder is in front of me and they are so not getting alphabet that early, lol :).

So it turns out we won't be needing so many Great People for each seperate civilization as they are drawn from a generic pool. So it doesn't matter which civ you are playing, you'll get the same names. So you are getting Saint Paul for Muslim Prophet and so on. At least it's less work for us until someone codes through Phyton to have them seperate.

Tunch Khan said:
So it turns out we won't be needing so many Great People for each seperate civilization as they are drawn from a generic pool. So it doesn't matter which civ you are playing, you'll get the same names. So you are getting Saint Paul for Muslim Prophet and so on. At least it's less work for us until someone codes through Phyton to have them seperate.
That's dissapointing... But one could imagine the difficulty of coming up with great people for some civs, such as Inca for example.
Even so, I hope someone mods this soon, the civs are already generic enough.

Loppan Torkel said:
That's dissapointing... But one could imagine the difficulty of coming up with great people for some civs, such as Inca for example.
Even so, I hope someone mods this soon, the civs are already generic enough.
If they really wanted they could have easily found some Inca great people through a web search or a visit to local library. I mean look at us finding all this information in like 4 days by ourselves. And we do this as a hobby, like none of us gets paid for this. :)
All in all i played and finished a tiny world scenario and i like the game a lot. There's a lot of room for improvement. But on the other hand it's obvious that the game was not ready for release as it's full of bugs. Half of my initial wonders were already obselete by the time i built them.
In-game graphics are real good, on the other hand every other graphic sucks. There are no advisor graphics (could be modded by us). Diplomacy screen is chaotic as well as other side screens. Civ III interface is ten times better plus very user-friendly. I couldn't get to see Diplomacy Victory video (if there is one). End game graphics and interface are still behind Civ III.
But again, these are all moddable, and the main concept is ok, and we definately have more options, so i'll just be patient.

Tunch Khan said:
Oh I got it, but i didn't know ANZAC would be unpopular as there's an ANZAC Memorial Day in Galippoli (Turkey) every year and the Aussies are always present with their highest representatives like Prime Minister and many Aussies travel across the world to attend it.

then chagne it to "anzac infantry then". I always though anzac day was more grim than that, being the memorial for a massacre.

dalek master said:
then chagne it to "anzac infantry then". I always though anzac day was more grim than that, being the memorial for a massacre.
There wasn't a massacre afaik. Gallipoli was a front of the First World War when British Empire and her allies decided to make a landfall on Gallipoli peninsula when the allied navy could not pass through the Dardanelles to occupy Istanbul. The eight month-long struggle between the Allies and Turkish forces is known as the Battle of Gallipoli. So serious were the casualties on both sides, that Winston CHURCHILL, Lord of the Navy at the time, was removed from his office and had to stay out of politics until WWII. On the other hand, Gallipoli was a fair battle in which both Turks and Anzac soldiers gained respect for eachother. Both sides were observing the old chivalrious rules of the war in a time of despair. This is what Mustafa Kemal Ataturk (Turkish General at Gallipoli, then revolutionary leader and first President) said after the war:

" Those heroes that shed their blood and
lost their lives...! You are now lying in
the soul of a friendly country, therefore
rest in peace. There is no differences between
the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they
lie side by side here in this country of ours...

You, the mothers who sent their sons from far away
countries wipe away your tears. Your sons are now
lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having
lost their lives on this land they have become
our sons as well."

Can someone try to describe Canadian UU mountie with it's abilities? Oh, we all know how cool they look like, but do they have firearms and such?

Hemiptera said:
To add to his 15....How many of each group should we try to have at a minimum? and at a max?

For cities 25-50?
Each category of great people 10-20?

Louis Riel should be a great prophet. There are a few Canadian saints too but I don't know them off of the top of my head.

Great Artists: Micheal J. Fox, Maragret Atwood, Robert Service, Tom Thompson (the rest of the group of 7),

And one minor correction it's Ottawa.

I'll definitely be making a Canadian Civ (without leaderheads because I cannot do graphics :).

I'll likely go with:

Leader: Pierre Elliot Trudeau, Sir John A. MacDonald

Capital: Ottawa; Flag: white with red maple leaf (need help for graphic)

Scientists:
Frederick Banting (NP medicine); Gerhard Herzberg (NP chemistry); John Polanyi (NP chemistry); Michael Smith (NP chemistry); Sid Altman (NP chemistry); Abraham Gesner (kerosene); Roberta Bondar (astronaut); Sir William Osler (physician)

Merchant:
Louis B. Mayer (movies); W.C. Van Horne (railway); Roy Thompson (media); Galen Weston (grocery); K.C. Irving (oil); Joseph-Armand Bombardier (airplanes/snowmobile); Timothy Eaton (dept stores)

Prophet:
St. Marguerite Bourgeoys; Saint Marguerite d'Youville; Blessed Brother André; Kateri Tekakwitha; Marshall McLuhan (theorist); Charles Taylor (humanist philosopher); Norman Bethune (humanitarian)

Artists:
Emily Carr (painter); Tom Thomson (painter); Yousef Karsh (photographer); Charles Daudelain (sculptor); Maragret Atwood (author); Robertson Davies (author); Glenn Gould (composer); Karen Kain (dancer)

Engineers:
Frank Gehry (architect); Ernest Cormier (engineer); Joseph-Armand Bombardier (engineer/inventor); Moshie Safdie (architect); Sir Sanford Fleming (standard time); Sir William Logan (geologist); Elsie McGill (engineer)

UU: Mountie is a possibility, but I'd go with Canada Corps (WWI infantry)

Cities:
(note: you need fewer of these in Civ4 than you did in Civ3, as I understand; these are based on 1) size, 2) capitals, 3) regional rep)

- Ottawa
- Toronto
- Montreal
- Vancouver
- Edmonton
- Calgary
- Winnipeg
- Quebec City
- Halifax
- Regina
- Hamilton
- Victoria
- St. John's
- Mississauga
- Saskatoon
- Sault Ste Marie (my hometown, so...)
- Fredericton
- Whitehorse
- Charlottetown
- Yellowknife
- Iqaluit
- Kitchener
- Saint John
- Trois-Rivieres
- St. Catharines
- Saguenay
- Sudbury
- Kelowna
- Brandon

Again, the above list is not just based on size, but tries to give some regional flavour. Other bigger cities include Laval, Oshawa, Kingston, Thunder Bay, Sherbrooke, Richmond.

Windsor and London are hard to add because they are both used by ENG.

Tunch Khan said:
Can someone try to describe Canadian UU mountie with it's abilities? Oh, we all know how cool they look like, but do they have firearms and such?

Modern "Mounties" ride in cars and carry pistols. :)

But the "Red Serge" mounties of the 1880s (the ones people think of when they think 'mounties') usually did not carry weapons.

Wyz_sub10 said:
Modern "Mounties" ride in cars and carry pistols. :)

But the "Red Serge" mounties of the 1880s (the ones people think of when they think 'mounties') usually did not carry weapons.
Well they should still have a firepower of some sort if we're considering them as a modern/industrial UU for Canada, no?

Tunch Khan said:
There wasn't a massacre afaik. Gallipoli was a front of the First World War when British Empire and her allies decided to make a landfall on Gallipoli peninsula when the allied navy could not pass through the Dardanelles to occupy Istanbul. The eight month-long struggle between the Allies and Turkish forces is known as the Battle of Gallipoli. So serious were the casualties on both sides, that Winston CHURCHILL, Lord of the Navy at the time, was removed from his office and had to stay out of politics until WWII. On the other hand, Gallipoli was a fair battle in which both Turks and Anzac soldiers gained respect for eachother. Both sides were observing the old chivalrious rules of the war in a time of despair. This is what Mustafa Kemal Ataturk (Turkish General at Gallipoli, then revolutionary leader and first President) said after the war:

" Those heroes that shed their blood and
lost their lives...! You are now lying in
the soul of a friendly country, therefore
rest in peace. There is no differences between
the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they
lie side by side here in this country of ours...

You, the mothers who sent their sons from far away
countries wipe away your tears. Your sons are now
lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having
lost their lives on this land they have become
our sons as well."

Ok genius. You win.

huntunc said:
Other Cities: Richmond, Charleston, New Orleans, Savannah, Nashville, Birmingham, Jackson, Memphis (will probably be gone by the time you get to it b/c of Egyptians), Chattanooga, Willaimsburg and St. Augustine (very Old South), Charlotte and Arlington (representing the New South).
In Alabama, Birmingham was not even founded until after the Civil War was over. Yet, Mobile was the 4th largest city in the confederacy, and Montgomery was its first capital.

If you want Old South, don't forget smaller towns like Vicksburg & Natchez(MS), Charlottesville & Petersburg (VA), & Galveston TX. Also, San Antonio TX was the site of a major battle in the Mexican War, so it was an important town by 1861.

New South: some of the fastest growing towns are Clarksville and Murfreesboro TN; Raleigh & Durham in NC; Auburn AL; Fayetteville AR; and just about anyplace in Florida and Texas!

Another Confederate city to consider is Norfolk.

/Virginian

Tunch Khan said:
Well they should still have a firepower of some sort if we're considering them as a modern/industrial UU for Canada, no?

Absolutely. I was just mentioning it in a historical context.

I noticed that too, but I think there is still value in taking some inventory for civ-specific people now because there may be a mod to address this later.

I agree with the comment that civs are currently too generic as is.

Civilization : Latvia

Leader : Karlis Ulmanis

Capital : Riga

Flag : 3 horizontal lines. Dark red white dark red. The dark red was maron colour. The white line is bit thiner than the 2red lines

Starting Techs : agiculture, fishing

Great Scientists : Janis Stradins, Karlis Zale, Peteris Kuga

Great Merchants : Janis Kuze

Great Prophets : Biscap Albert

Great Artists : Krisjanis Barons, Janis Rainis, Juris Alunans, Vilhelms Purvits, Auseklis, Aleksandrs Grins

Great Engineers : Helmars Rudzits

Unique Unit : Latvian Archer (The WW1 Unit, the unit is similar to this time infanty unit but they gained bigest sucess in East Europe while they were just about 10'000 soldiers, they also gained Latvia indepandance.

Cities : Riga (capitol)
Jelgava
Ogre
Jurmala
Daugavpils
Sigulda
Tukums
Liepaja
Ventspils
Bauska
Limbazi
Cesis
Madona
Ligatne
Jekabpils
Rezekne
Smiltene
Dobele
Skrunda
Saldus
Broceni
Kuldiga
Priekule
Durbe
Aizpute
Grobina
Piltene
Valdemarpils
Talsi
Stende
Sabile
Kandava
Auce
Salaspils
Vangazi
Olaine
Baldone
Lielvarde
Ikskile
Slacgriva
Ainazi
Rujiena
Mazsalaca
Strenci
Valka
Cesvaine
Aizkraukle
Kraslava
Dagda
Plavinas
Aknikste
Balvi
Vilaki
Zilupe
Ape
Seda
Varaklani

Hi Latvian "Hound", thanks for the info, can you post also about the leader traits too? I'll soon start working on other leaders as well.

Civilization : Quebecois

Leader : Montcalme - Organised and aggresive
René Levesque - Organised and philosophical
Governor de Champlain - Financial (fur trade), Organized (native alliances)

Capital : Quebec

Flag : (blue fleur-de-lis on white) Québec's flag...

Starting Techs : Agriculture, Mysticism

Great Scientists :

Great Merchants :

Great Prophets :

Great Artists :

Great Engineers :

Unique Unit : Patriote, FLQ guerilla?, Voyageur?, Régiment de Carignan?

Cities :

Québec
Trois-Rivières
Montreal

Tunch Khan said:
Unique Unit : Patriote, FLQ guerilla?, Voyageur?, Régiment de Carignan?

My first Canadian mod for Civ3 had the Voyageur as a UU. It would work well for Quebec (except that voyageurs historically numbered most in Ontario and Manitoba).

In my mod, it was an enhanced settler unit - could move a bit faster and had basic combat.

If sticking to history, the voyageur should get a woodlands bonus and improve commerce.

Top Bottom