1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

MLDR005 NOW what?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by meldor, Jan 5, 2005.

1. meldor

meldor Chieftain

Microbe, are you playing?

2. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

Got it. I didn't realize I was up so early.

How many turns do I play?

3. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Chieftain

The first player's usual twenty.

4. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

Since I never played NOW before, not sure how much difference it is with AW.

What to research first? Ironworking or Alphabet? I am inclined to Ironworking for the upcoming war.

What to build first? A warrior probably, then what? Rax, spear, or granary directly?

Expantionist is pretty much useless in this game, as we do not want to scout much. Maybe the second town builds currary and hope to find someone overseas?

5. meldor

meldor Chieftain

It is the same only for the first Civ we meet. After that we can proceed as normal with meeting the other Civs.

I would most likely go with Alphabet for writing. If we can get embassies first, we might avoid the early dogpile on us.

As long as we keep the scout close and don't meet anyone early, you can build the way you normally would at this level.

Expansionist is bad to start. We want to hold back an not meet the first Civ as long as possible. Once the first Civ is meet, then we can explore as much as we desire.

Sorry to be so vague, but the reason you are first is because I played enough to know the map was playable. The others can feel free to chime in with more explict advice.

6. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

4000BC: Move worker NW, scout SW-S, reveals a hut, a BG and coastline. Our settler moves weat as planned. It will have one tile of water without being coastal (which I usually hate), but I go on with that plan as the tile will only make a difference when we have railroads, and the additional BG will hopefully benefit us.

3950BC: hut gives map and Moscow is founded. It reveals another cattle in the south. had we founded SE we'd have 3 cattle in range after expansion, but that'd probably be a waste. I start a warrior. Full research on Alphabet.

3900BC: Expansionist is pretty much a useless trait in this game, as I don't dare to scout too much.

3650BC: hut gives us a warrior. :angry: And it reveals another cattle. Our second city will be a good settler factory too.

3400BC: scout spots a purple border.

3350BC: hut gives another warrior. Does demigod never give techs?

3250BC: our scout meets Portugal on the way back home. It's up Alphabet and Warrior Code. I declare war.

3200BC: Our conscript warrior is killed. Scout flees home and heads south to meet others. Lux to 10.

3050BC: granary is due, set to warrior for now.

3000BC: our scout spots blue border. Lux is 30 now.

I'm building a spearman now, but next player cans witch.

7. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

8. meldor

meldor Chieftain

Great start! Sounds like we need to get in a at least one settler. It would be nice to have a good military city or two to balance out the food heaviness.

Microbe
    RomeoTheMonk (Playing)
    ChrTh (On Deck)
    Northern Pike
    el_filet
    Meldor

9. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Chieftain

Our second city should be founded on site 1 below, Microbe's pink dot, which has fresh water thanks to the one-tile lake. After that we should perhaps settle on site 2--which Microbe will hate :D, because of all the bad coastal squares, but which would provide a hill town which might cost the Portuguese a lot of units.

10. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

I'd settle the NE red dot for our 3rd city.

One thing is that I do not see any lux nearby. This is going to kill our economy. :(

11. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

Who is next?

12. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Chieftain

RomeoTheMonk. Wherefore art thou, Romeo? :lol:

13. romeothemonk

romeothemonk Order of the Engineer

I see it. I am at work and might be able to get it tonight or tommorrow. I have been really sick (cold/flu combo), so if ChrTh wants to swap that would be cool with me.

14. ChrTh

ChrTh Happy Yule!

I'm not going to be able to play until Friday (my class schedule got hosed up and I was expecting tonight or tomorrow night off to play, but no dice), Romeo, so ve can vait.

15. romeothemonk

romeothemonk Order of the Engineer

IHT: For a demigod war game, we have a poor military, a conscript and a reg warrior.
    IBT:
    Turn 1: Meet the Germans. They are up WC and have 3 total cities. Our military advisor says we are weak compared to them. :)
    IBT: A portugese warrior shows up
    Turn 2: Moscow Spear to settler. Moscow gets a scientist. Germans picked up abet, and iron working in the IBT.
    IBT: We now have 4 port warriors parked by our potential expansion spot.
    Turn 3: Swap settler to spear.
    IBT: Port warriors advance.
    Turn 4: Fort spear, reinforce with reg warrior from Moscow. This is gonna get ugly quick. Swap scintist to entertainer.
    IBT: Ports ignore my stack guarding the worker and head for the capitol defended by a conscript warrior.
    Turn 5: Capitol now has 2 spears a reg and a conscript guarding it. :)
    IBT: Promote both our spears, killing 3 warriors.
    Turn 5: Last warrior fortified, and a conscript is moving up on us.
    IBT: Ports move up another 2 warriors.
    Turn 6: Abet comes in, start masonry. We need walls.
    IBT: Kill a reg warrior, a conscript pillages us.
    Turn 7: Settler finishes, send him off with a vet spear.
    IBT: Kill 2 more port warriors. Moscow is now guarded by an elite spear.
    Turn 8: Move stuff.
    IBT: Kill another warrior, 2 more hove into view.
    turn 9: Still moving. Our economy has been a complete and total wreck the whole time I have seen this.
    IBT: Ports continue to move in.
    Turn 10: I mistimed a chop, and we have another spear, but that is ok, as I think we need it badly. Really bad news is ports have wheel and WC. Found In the Blacktown where I was supposed to. We are no longer hemorraging cash. Moving conscript down, fortifying as we have 3 baddies at the door. Masonry is still unknown to everyone. Next person is up for a good one I think.
    Sorry about the mistimed chop, that was really bad on my part. Moscow is set to barracks, we can make it anything.
    I ended up with a kill ratio of 7:0, while not a real ratio, it is nice to get.
    First a screenie

Now the Save

16. meldor

meldor Chieftain

We have the beginnings of a hit list:
    Portugal
    Germany

Microbe
    RomeoTheMonk
    ChrTh (Playing)
    Northern Pike (On Deck)
    el_filet
    Meldor

17. ChrTh

ChrTh Happy Yule!

I got it. I won't be playing until Friday night, though (had to rearrange my night classes this week so I'm behind on my work), so if you want to swap NP, that's fine.

18. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Chieftain

OK, got it.

19. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Chieftain

20. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Chieftain

2510 (0): All three Portuguese warriors next to Moscow die attacking our elite spearman, which doesn't produce a Great Leader (3-0).

2390 (3): Moscow barracks --> spearman.

The Germans are building the Oracle.

2310 (5): Moscow spearman --> settler.

2190 (8): Moscow settler --> worker.

2150 (9): Moscow worker --> spearman.

A very quiet round. I didn't see another Portuguese unit after the first three died attacking Moscow.

Our scout pushed north and west this round without discovering any new civs.

Three elite victories, all defensive, didn't produce a Great Leader.