1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

MLDR005 NOW what?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by meldor, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Chieftain

The settler should found our third city on the site northeast of Moscow occupied by our conscript warrior. A city here will be immediately productive without a cultural expansion or any help from workers.

The next priority for our workers should be to mine and road all three of Moscow's BG tiles. We'll then be able to get a settler and a warrior out of the city every four turns.

There's some hope that Masonry will have trade value when we get it, since the Germans and Portuguese don't have it yet.

This lull has helped us a lot, in particular by letting us make ITB's first build a barracks. With Moscow soon to become a proper settler/warrior factory, and a third productive city in our immediate future, things look good.

El Filet, it looks as though you could play too before ChrTh gets to it on Friday night, if you like.

2. ChrTh

ChrTh Happy Yule!

Sheesh, NP, when I wondered if you wanted to swap, I didn't mean for you to play immediately ...

Umm, I'm still not available to play until Friday, so el_filet, I'll swap with you if you want :)

EDIT: Whoops, duped NP's msg

3. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Chieftain

The lull:

4. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Chieftain

Well, this wasn't a time-consuming round. You could have played it while your professor cleared his throat. :D

5. romeothemonk

romeothemonk Order of the Engineer

We got lucky in that the first civ we found didn't know WC, and that in fact they were the portugese, a near consensus worst civ ever.
    We might want to take the elite spear and go tour it around by the port core. This will cause them to not develop, and sometimes/usually whip their cities repeatedly. They are then easy pickings once we get a real army to go hurt them.

6. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Chieftain

Are we certain that they wouldn't attack the elite spear with archers? If we are, this is a great idea.

7. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

This reminds me of Mic6. I fortified a warrior on the mountain next to Carthage's capital very early on after razing its second town by another warrior, and it never grew beyond size 1. :lol: The best part of the game.

8. meldor

meldor Chieftain

It is a good thing we didn't meet them in reverse order...

Microbe
    RomeoTheMonk
    ChrTh (Playing)
    Northern Pike (Usurper, and a quick one)
    el_filet (On Deck or at it)
    Meldor

We have the beginnings of a hit list:
    Portugal
    Germany

9. LKendter

LKendter Chieftain Supporter

How very true. I hate meeting Germany at war with them having initial spears and archers.

10. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Chieftain

:lol::D:lol:

11. el_filet

el_filet Chieftain

i got it
    plan to send a spear for pillaging/threatening workers (probably elite)
    i'm pretty sure they won't attack him on mountains, but they may on hills and sure do on flat lands. horses may attack thought.

play now

12. el_filet

el_filet Chieftain

2110 BC (0):

2030 BC (2):
    found novgorod->rax (thought about curragh, but seems to be an inland sea)
    increase science&lux

IBT:
    moscow: spear->settler

1990 BC (3):
    send pillager (elite spear)

1950 BC (4):
    +lux -science (masonry still in 3)

IBT:
    blacktown: rax->spear

IBT:
    port mini-SoD
    moscow: settler->spear

1870 BC (6):
    +science

IBT:
    ports want peace->no
    masonry->WC

1830 BC (7):
    change blacktown to walls (no poprush, too late; but sent spear from moscow)
    change science to writing @min
    otto gives us wheel for masonry & 3gpt or WC & 2g for masonry only; i take wheel->horses 2 SE from blacktown

IBT:
    lose spear to reg archer
    kill warrior
    another port archer

1790 BC (8):
    pop rush walls :mad:

IBT:
    hurt archer retreats
    moscow: spear->warrior
    blacktown: walls->warrior
    elite spear not attacked on plains

1750 BC (9):
    send new spear to blacktown

IBT:
    kill archer

1725 BC (10):
    F spear between moscow and blacktown
    settler in place for 4th city (gets game&fish on place without extension; movement left)

notes:
    did a bad job fighting (2-1)
    you could use the warrior in blacktown for counter (i didn't because of the defensive freeshot, but 2nd archer dead now)
    settler in 2, suggest NP location (altough i hate those towns as much a microbe, ports already sent settler toward us)
    regret my trade, we could use archers, but i wanted to see/grab a ressource
    3 turns on min science for writing, WC might be more useful (22@60%; +0gpt)
    pillager close to save and annoying place (mountain, ivory)
    occasionally switched tiles between moscow/blacktown, may be advisable until tiles for moscow finished

i prefer unzipped files, up- or download. i zipped because i don't want to annoy modem users, but would prefer plain saves if following player doesn't mind.

13. meldor

meldor Chieftain

OK, things are moving fairly fast. Since ChrTh can't play until tomorrow night I will atke it and play tonight.

14. ChrTh

ChrTh Happy Yule!

With the turnaround time of everyone jumping ahead of me, the game might be over before I get a turn! :cry:

15. meldor

meldor Chieftain

1725 BC (0)
    A lose the warrior trying to kill the archer. Settler builds town right where it stands.
    (I) Sword attacks our elite spear and I get only my third defensive GL in my CivIII life.

1700 BC (1)
    Leader starts taking the long way home. Spear steps on top of the mountain.
    (I)Moscow Settler->Warrior.

1675 BC (2)
    The settler heads towards the spot on the hill towards the Portos. I would like to take that city with the ivory and build Zeus. We need horses first. Whip the Rax in Novgorod.
    (I) The Ports are sending swords our way, we may need math real soon. Moscow warrior->warrior. Novgorod Rax->Spear.

1650 BC (3)
    The leader makes it back to Moscow. The settler and a spear head for the new location. Warrior kills archer.
    (I) Archer dies to spear in woods.

1625 BC (4)
    Movement. No Portos in sight.
    (I) The Portos are sending a settler/spear in our direction.

1600 BC (5)
    Movement.
    (I) See another sword and archer leave Portugal. Moscow settler->warrior. Blacktown Spear->Spear.

1575 BC (6)
    Yaroslavl' is founded on the hill to get us horses.
    (I) The Porto swords don't seem to be coming at us, odd.

1550 BC (7)
    Movement. The settler is going south as the Portos built a city where I was headed next.
    (I) Moscow Warrior->Settler. Korea finishes the Oracle.

1525 BC (8)
    Start road to horses.
    (I) The Germans swap to the Pyramids.

1500 BC (9)
    Movement. The settler in the south exposes yet another food bonus, wheat.
    (I) Looks like the Portos are headed for our new city. Blacktown Spear->Spear. Rostov Spear->Rax.

1475 BC (10)
    Spear heads for new city. workers are roading towards it as well. Settler is in position on pennisula.

We can fit another city between us and the Germans and then we will most likely need to go pure military. It would be nice to have iron and fill the army with swords. If not, we may need to fill it with spears and go pillage the iron and other goodies in Portugal.

Microbe (On Deck)
    RomeoTheMonk
    Northern Pike
    el_filet
    Meldor
    ChrTh (Playing, sunk to the bottom)

We have the beginnings of a hit list:
    Portugal
    Germany

16. ChrTh

ChrTh Happy Yule!

I have it, am playing tonight. Let me at them!

17. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Chieftain

Rostov should switch to building a curragh. We badly need contact with the rest of the world.

The settler we're about to complete should try to claim the northwestern cow, even though this will involve an odd city placement to avoid too much cultural overlap with the Germans. The tile two north of Rostov (with two more bad coastal squares to annoy Microbe and El Filet :D) might be best.

Since we're obviously on a fifty-turn run to Writing, we should either cut the research rate to 10% or assign a scientist at 0%.

Should we start pre-building the Great Library? Given our lack of luxuries and our apparent isolation on a continent with just two other civs, research is going to be a problem. And I believe, without going back to check, that in all three games I've played in this series we built the GL on the way to victory.

18. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

I agree with GL.

19. meldor

meldor Chieftain

Yes, GL is a very good that for this. The other civs have to be on the other land mass(es) so we can figure that contact with them should be kept to ourselves as long as possible if we have to use suicide to find them.

20. ChrTh

ChrTh Happy Yule!

I too agree with the prebuild GL idea, however ... can we spare any town right now to do so?

I'm not going to be able to fully play tonight (fools rush in, and since I've not played an SG in over 9 months...) ... so any additional ideas would be welcome :)