MMORPG advice

sourboy

Awakening...
I'm looking for a game, MMORPG maybe, where it plays like an EQ/WoW style, where you upgrade based on experience, travel to new areas, get new equipment, group with others (guilds too), conquer extreme areas, etc..... only you're not a humanoid, but a vessel (space or naval). Now it's okay to have a humanoid to control while docked for additional gameplay, but I want to build a massive vessel and set out and destroy others, dock, etc.

Anyone suggest a good one?

Star Wars Galaxies seems dead but was similar?

I hear Eve Online is ... okay.

I hear Pirates of the Burning Sea will be good.

Anything else?

Have you tried WoW? That's a fun game. I'm in the Burning Sea beta and I can't tell you anything other than what's on the website due to a NDA I signed but if you liked Sid Meier's Pirates! you'll like Burning Sea.

You could try Lord of the Rings Online. It's pretty neat but I prefer WoW.

I can't wait for Warhammer Online myself. PvP-fest. I hope I can be on the first day, but will garanteed be on the first weekend. I think I am gonna be an orc choppa. Unless a friend talks me into going order, then I am gonna be a Dwarven Hammerer.

As for the vessel idea, eve is the only one I have seen that looks any good IMO. Burning Seas looks interesting but I fear it to be non-pvp. Combat systems and pvp mean alot to me. (Recent talk of a pvp flag system in place on warhammer has me a little upset but past that it looks great.)

Also you may want to look up Darkfall.

EVE Online is what I'd recommend. Anything can happen there. A player just committed bank fraud(in game) and took off with more then 30 billion ISK. Probably the richest man in the universe as of now.

Yes, I have a 70 on WoW, but I'm not looking for character development. Eve looks interesting, but I hear it lacks depth. Pirates of the Burning Sea seems to be decent, but it's not out yet.

It isn't multiplayer but X3 Reunion is a really good space game. You can build up trade or even war fleets. Build stations, factories. A dynamic economy too. It's first person, and it does take a while to actualy start building/buying mroe ships and stations/factories plus the software upgrades can be pricy, and there's no tutorial but there are a number of really good guides availaible, the offcial forums have some good links and stuff.

I have a friend who loved it, a friend who hated it and a friend who would play it again if he wasn't so obsessed with Counter Strike, so I went with the average.

Never heard of it actually, I horribly misread it.

As for the vessel idea, eve is the only one I have seen that looks any good IMO. Burning Seas looks interesting but I fear it to be non-pvp. Combat systems and pvp mean alot to me. (Recent talk of a pvp flag system in place on warhammer has me a little upset but past that it looks great.)

Oh there'll be PVP in Burning Sea. One time, Georgetown was being attacked by the Spanish so I joined in with my little newbie Corvette. Then some high level privateers started giving chase and shooting me up as I left the port! The town was captured the following day.

Oh there'll be PVP in Burning Sea. One time, Georgetown was being attacked by the Spanish so I joined in with my little newbie Corvette. Then some high level privateers started giving chase and shooting me up as I left the port! The town was captured the following day.

Don't say stuff like that. It makes me want to play the game. I have already agreed to play Warhammer Online with some friends, so tell me:

"Pirates of the Burning Sea is the most horrific game you have ever played and should never be allowed to be released in public as its inhumane."

:lol: J/k It would help me out and make my indecision easier though.

I may end up checking out both honestly but, as for now all I can afford is one. :( I have been watching Pirates of the Burning Seas. I wouldn't mind learning more about their "Head start" they give the losing side on a server when some team conquers all ports. Because you wouldn't want it overpowered for the next war - but it should be worth it too.

Stormrage: We should find out what server we are gonna be on. If there is an open PvP server I am gonna join it. (Although according to the podcasts on the site, they only have a RP server.)
EDIT: Oh yeah, and we are leaning towards destruction so far. If we stay with it, I will be a choppa. If my indecisive friends decide to go order, I will be a hammerer.

Don't say stuff like that. It makes me want to play the game. I have already agreed to play Warhammer Online with some friends, so tell me:

"Pirates of the Burning Sea is the most horrific game you have ever played and should never be allowed to be released in public as its inhumane."

:lol: J/k It would help me out and make my indecision easier though.

I may end up checking out both honestly but, as for now all I can afford is one. :( I have been watching Pirates of the Burning Seas. I wouldn't mind learning more about their "Head start" they give the losing side on a server when some team conquers all ports. Because you wouldn't want it overpowered for the next war - but it should be worth it too.

Stormrage: We should find out what server we are gonna be on. If there is an open PvP server I am gonna join it. (Although according to the podcasts on the site, they only have a RP server.)

They were fast too! I was in a light corvette and they were in these man-o-wars that have been rigged and outfitted to be faster than me! Like the devil himself was blowing into those sails! Whenever they'd get within 200 yards, they'd make a snap right and bust my rear armor up! Their cannon's roared like an angry god! I tried surrendering half my cargo to one of the pursuers but he was intent on killing me. I pleaded with the other pursuer with the same deal. They finally disengaged me and I ran full sail back to Guyana.

There's Voyage Century. 17th-19th century, build ships, explore, gather tresures, build shops (to sell your tresures), have navel battles & conquer cities. It's also free.

That's a long way off though, but exciting. I think WoW will be challenged this year alone. I think many of the people that play Warcraft for pvp almost exclusively will be leaving this year. Because let's face it WoW's PvP system sucks butt. I personally couldn't even play WoW for the full 2 week trial. I didn't care for anything I found out about what game contained really. Mob camping, crazy grinding, repetative quests, and lame and unbalanced pvp. With games like Darkfall and Tabula Rasa coming out, they will gradually pull away warcrafters of the PvE nature. And games like Pirates of the Burning Sea, Age of Conan, and Warhammer coming out, they will lose their PvP crowds.

I don't think Elder Scrolls will be "finally solid competition against warcraft" I think that has already arrived. Elder Scrolls will just be the nail in the coffin to finally put WoW out of its shameful misery.

I don't expect WoW to die upon release of these other titles, but I do expect alot of people that enjoy pvp to leave because of WoW's horrible system. What will happen I imagine is alot of the pvp mongers will leave warcraft early this year, not all, but a very noticable amount. As 3 games coming out are catering to PvP crowds.

PvE people will be slower to leave. They tend to be the group that like to show off their cool sword they got from some raid no one but themselves cares to hear about. They have an unusual "intimacy" we'll call it, with their charactors. They are the ones that refuse to go to another game because "then it will be like they wasted all this time on this charactor" whatever that means.

But eventually, someone will go try darkfall or tabula rasa, come back into WoW and be tell his guild he is quiting to go play the other game. Which will strike some people's curiosity, they will follow suit etc. Until finally the only people left are those who pride themselves on stubborness. They worked too hard to get to level 70 (or whatever max level is now) basically to get "max uber" status to go back to level 1 on some other game.

I have seen this happen on enough "outdated" MMOs. I don't expect WoW to die anytime soon. Hell, somehow Anarchy Online is still alive and kicking. That game needs a revamped part 2 with a better pvp and combat system. Basically though, this will continue but it will soon have to quit boasting its player numbers. Most people I even hear about playing it now are people that have played no other MMO before it, or are waiting for one of the other ones to play and are playing WoW to get their "MMO fix". All WoW has is the ability to say how many people they have "active". But compared to any other game they can't boast any great achievement they contributed to the MMO genre other than to get people more interested in it. As they have brought in alot of MMO newbs into gaming.

As you can tell I think WoW is seriously the worst MMO I ever played that wasn't free. Heck, IMO there are free MMOs that are out there that are better than WoW in many respects.

My personal favorite is Silkroad Online. It has a nice PvP system that does need some attention but its better than most other MMOs PvP systems currently out. Although the combat system is very dry in it. The best combat system I have seen so far is City of Heroes. But Silkroads graphics are rather great. And almost any game on the market including free ones can easily beat WoW's graphics. I guess WoW has a decent player world environment though. Meaning map layouts, explorable areas and such. The actual player atmosphere is simply typical though. And the leveling system is nothing to get excited about.

Top Bottom