[MOD] Composite Mod by Exavier

@mayonaise - I know the timetable needs to be adjusted more as well as general cost balancing... I was rushed in the v1.7 release due to PC problems... basicly the only PC i have that is capable of running Civ4 just went to Toshiba for a Laptop Motherboard Replacement and will be gone for 2-3 weeks. So it was either release it now so ppl can play with it and find issues or let it sit idle for 3 weeks while my laptop is gone.

As for culture it was modified by Mylon's Culture system... Its more noticable on more close quarters maps but basicly culture grows based on building, population, and a few other things. On smaller more congested maps it gets interesting because culture spreads as Nationality instead of just general culture so you can have residents of other nationalities in your city.

@NuclearElephant - You mean expand the fat cross? I don't know if i would want to try mainly because its already hard to place cities without over lapping... that would just kill it. And you could get huge cities which could probobly be overpowered.

@Hulk - Crashes?!? what kinda crashes?

I kinda agree with NuclearElephant. I only usually build about 5 cities, because my play style is just to have a few, very powerful cities. With all that culture, there are a lot of tiles that aren't used for anything (last game I played, I bet 1/2 of the tiles under my control weren't within the fat cross).

Anyway, if we could find a way to increase the workable tiles outside of the fat cross and include more, it would help players like me and NuclearElephant to keep up on the larger sized maps and could create (or at least get more people to use) a new strategy, for even more decision making on the part of the players. Also, it would kinda build on to cIV's creaters' efforts to kill city spamming (which the AI still does).

I also think it makes a bit of since when you link it to RL. In the modern nations of the world, there is not much land that is left unused. The only part of the world that isn't being used by humans is really Antartica, and that is because of the law that keeps people out (until '09 I think).

Lastly, I just think it would be really cool to have a size 100 city that can still grow.

Recently got to a point where I could build the Integrated Steel Plant. Had a few minor bugs with it. as I understand, it is a National Wonder and can only be built in one city, one time. In my game, it pops up in numerous cities. Also it pops up continuously in my capital city every 90 years of gametime. So while it isn't a really big problem, just thought you would like to know. BTW I was using version 1.7, custom game, Huge world. I do like this version much more than 1.6, and I really liked 1.6.

Exavier said:
@NuclearElephant - You mean expand the fat cross? I don't know if i would want to try mainly because its already hard to place cities without over lapping... that would just kill it. And you could get huge cities which could probobly be overpowered.

You would still be limited by health and happiness. Maybe a bigger city could generate additional negative modifiers for these? Also the thresholds for expansion could be made pretty high so a city would have to be really culturally powerful to get very much workable area.

I always play huge maps though, so maybe this isn't viable for smaller ones, I don't know.

-NE

@GeneralMikeIII - Well here is why I don't like the idea... This is comming from a balance standpoint not an RL standpoint...

By making it so that the city can work more land it can easily break the balance fast... Early game you will eventually run to a standstill... but late game the commerce income will break the game.

Think about it this way... If i make it so that you can work more area you might end up with 5-8 citys at 75+ pop... the problem is that nation is going to be more powerful than one with 20-30 citys at 20-30 pop because of 2 things... Income and Mantanence...

Income generated for the workable squares will sky rocket late game and because your spending less in building mantanence and distance from palace penalty mantanence you actually get more income as a smaller nation than one that covers 60% of the planet. Doesn't make much sence to me and is imbalanced really bad.

Thats why I haven't looked into it but I think it can be done...

@chas1951 - if you mean that the advisor keeps asking you to build them I know whats causing it :p

I made it a National Wonder but set the number of them you can build to 3 (or is it 2) so you can build 3 Integrated Steel Planets in your empire (instead of most National wonders thats only allowed 1 of each). The reason is to counter the fact that if it explodes your not screwed for steel the rest of the game.

The reason it keeps asking you to build them is that to force the AI to build them I set the advisor variables very high (about double anything else in the game). This way when the AI unlocks it they build it immediatly. The downside is the advisor sees this as well and recommends this as a valuble building untill all 3 of them are built :p

@NuclearElephant - See responce above... I was in the middle of typing this when you posted... Though if i do decide to do it I may see if i can't tye it to a later game building or something :p

Exavier @chas1951 - if you mean that the advisor keeps asking you to build them I know whats causing it :P I made it a National Wonder but set the number of them you can build to 3 (or is it 2) so you can build 3 Integrated Steel Planets in your empire (instead of most National wonders thats only allowed 1 of each). The reason is to counter the fact that if it explodes your not screwed for steel the rest of the game. The reason it keeps asking you to build them is that to force the AI to build them I set the advisor variables very high (about double anything else in the game). This way when the AI unlocks it they build it immediatly. The downside is the advisor sees this as well and recommends this as a valuble building untill all 3 of them are built :P [/QUOTE said:
At the end of my game, it showed that I made 20 of them.

@GeneralMikeIII - hehe NP... truth told I usually don't have more than 8 cities myself untill modern times... too hard to pay upkeep on the citys as you expand.

@chas1951 - Thats rather entertaining... have any screenies you can send me?

@Hulk - Crashes?!? what kinda crashes?[/QUOTE]
The out fo video memory crashes, on a huge Earthmap, with 18 civs , ..Whatever real good work :king:
PS: And where is rhe "Your airlift was shotdown" sequenze???
Hulk :goodjob:

Exavier @chas1951 - Thats rather entertaining... have any screenies you can send me?[/QUOTE said:
Doh, should have thought about that. Sorry, started a new game and already saved over the last one. This one, I turned off all the win conditions other than time and conquest, so I can check out all the new Techs. Last game I grew too large too fast, and the game ended early with a domination victory. Hopefully I'll be able to recreate and send some screenshots. Thanks again for an awesome mod :king:

Hopefully this works, screenshot of new game, already shows 4 Int Steel plants made.

Seems hard to read so I'll send you a copy.

@Hulk - try going into the games config.ini file found in your install directory and changing NoMovies=0 to NoMovies=1... I know i had to do that to fix that error after v1.52 patch... kinda annoying...

Can't add animations to the game if thats what your referring to :p

@chas1951 - Odd... are you actually building that many? Because I believe I did set it so dispite it being a National Wonder you can still Capture an opponents Steel Plants when you take over their city (60% chance if i remember right). Basicly I was trying to keep them in the game so I figured changing hands is better then absolut destruction :p

I haven't been able to look at the saved games as my Laptop is gone... 3 days without Civ4 and I am already in the mood to kill someone :mad:

Exavier @chas1951 - Odd... are you actually building that many? Because I believe I did set it so dispite it being a National Wonder you can still Capture an opponents Steel Plants when you take over their city (60% chance if i remember right). Basicly I was trying to keep them in the game so I figured changing hands is better then absolut destruction :P I haven't been able to look at the saved games as my Laptop is gone... 3 days without Civ4 and I am already in the mood to kill someone :mad:[/QUOTE said:
Yes, I've actually built that many. It keeps popping up sort of like a nag screen, so I just build another to make it quit popping up. Once the new one is built, it pops up to be built again. like I said, not a major problem, just a minor inconvenience.;)

Hello and thanks for the great work you are doing!! Just a quick note, the NG version seems to not have normal Unit size. :) They are small to be sure, I am using the Blue Marble Mod. And when units are in a forest, hehe well they are real hard to see. Just wondering if there was a small mix up.

And sorry, i do not mean to conplain at all. Its just my eyes are not what they used to be. :)

@chas1951 - Ok I will take a closer look at it... might just end up making it a normal building similar to a Cathedrel that requires a specific number of factories for each Steel plant if I can't get it to work right :p

@Randall_Flagg - I just checked the files and the NG version does not have the smaller unit changes. Are you sure you downloaded the NG version?

However I did use the tool that was created by the devs of Blue Marble Terrain to shrink the units. Its possible that they may have done something to them in their mod thats conflicting with mine. (or vise versa as their mod came out first :p) This is why I don't recommend using CustomAssets mods at the same time as Composite Mod... It tends to break things.

Also I know alot of ppl like the Blue Marble Terrain graphics so I am working on a way to make it an Add-in pack for my mod... So when you unzip it, it becomes part of Composite Mod and can be used in MP games where the CustomAssets folder is ignored.

I have decided I am going to start doing this with all "Optional" graphics packs I run across that I want so that the file size for the basic mod (needed for MP and everything) is smaller sized. The ppl can opt to download the extra 30+mb files for the extra graphics if they want to. But I have to make sure it will work properly in MP enviroment first and I can't do that without my Laptop :(

Hello
in few words:
Exavier can you:
- change killing land units by the bombers, cause it is extremly easy to win the game with 8 of them. Maybe just injure land units 1/2 or 2/3 HP.
- add some national units (can build only few) like sniper or commando.

IMO there's no need for extra technologies if you can't get any visible benefits from them. Otherwise great mod, good work :p.

Yes I am sure it is the Normal Grapics version, i downloaded them both after i tried the first time. It is real amazing how quick you can get used to those small guys. hehe, i think they are more like 50% smaller though.

And WoW, I like the idea of being able to use all units, but all the dead time is killing me lol. the Ai never seems to stop building units. I like to be in the top 4 on military, and it is real hard to keep up with AI in your mod. It realy slows down the economy.

I am now ready to try your massive 1700 turn game, i fear i will be getting in alot of wars, i just hope i can keep ahead of the tech curve. Just a note to others playing, i highly suggest you turn off tech trades, if you get in bad spot you are toast, the ai will trade and trade and you will be in the stone ages.

This mod is excellent - but I was so disapointed - I'm not 100% certain it was the mod - but a few things hinted that it was - such as the error mentioning something about culture just after I had defeated Napoleon - who I might add had been putting up a very good fight - I think casualties measured to about 5:1 even though I had superior military technologies being the sinful empire I was - anyhow after the error message the game just stopped - like there was no press enter and there was no unit to move - in desperation I saved game and reloaded - but I could not get the game to continue no matter what I tried - I wasn't even annoyed about it since I had nailed the troublesome french - the egyptians were getting on my goat - and if you can fix it so that I can continue playing the game - they will be dealt with swiftly - but anyhow despite this - I really got to thankyou for a great mod - it made my game some what 101%+, you have done a great job and I just love the way people continue to make great games better by doing these kinds of works.
I am studying up ATM to make my own mod - something I've never done before - its a blast and a half - c ya around - and I'll be back to this thread later - got some other mods to check out - have fun!!! ;)

Top Bottom