1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[MOD] Fall from Heaven II

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by Kael, May 18, 2006.

1. Jean Elcard

Jean Elcard The Flavournator

Nice one. :lol:

2. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Fantasy Warlord

Re elf cottages: don't forget, it can also be a big disadvantage NOT to be able to chop forests for the quick production bonus!
    I say: leave them as they are.

Re wolf spamming: I've started several games now and never seen these wolf hordes everybody is talking about! Never seen more than a few wolves in any game - actually, I usually see more lions, but even of those not too many - and I play on raging barbarians.

Re Giant Spiders: Those ARE pretty powerful - capture a couple, have them keep their Hidden Nationality and kill weak enemies, making lots of Baby Spiders, and soon you'll have Spiders everywhere!
    Maybe they should only have a 50% chance of making a Baby Spider.

3. War Chicken

War Chicken Warlord

Hey Kael & Team!

I've returned to FFH2 after quite some time of "non CIV" gaming.

First I was quite depressed, that theres no new Version out after being not here for about half a year, so I downloaded the newest Patch and got started.
    And very soon I was like "weeeee how much great new Stuff!!! Even without a new base version. By now I've played 4 Games with different fractions, and am very very very impressed.

So now for what's going on.
    I want to second the wolf problem. I'm that kind of player that likes to have room and time to evolve in the beginning of the game. So I play on huge maps with only about 5 Civs. This leads to the fact that the wolves reproduce like insane and on many "uncivilized" territories nobody is there to stop them.

If you later on reach such an area, that whole Isle or continent is filled with wolves. Often there is even more than one per tile.
    Wolves (and packs) arent that strong to be a threat, even in the rather early phases of a game, but they just annoy and can be spoiled for XP-Farming - Especially if you've got units moving more than 2 tiles per turn and blitz promotion in late games.

I'll explain the situation of the last game. I played the Ljolsfar, and in mid Game some moron released the Infernals. They're easy to spot due to their transformation of the lands, and because there was no good-aligned AIs to be a counterpart, I thougt "lets wipe them out before they grow stronger", built some Queens of the Line and loaded them with troops. When arriving at their continent, I couldnt really get to them, because the whole damn continent was filled with wolves! and that really bothers.

I've never had such a plaque with other animals. Maybe it'd be enough to cut down the spawn rate (and the rate wolves grow into packs) to that, Lions use.

4. Ankhman

Ankhman Chieftain

It appears that some people are still having an issue with wolves. I just wanted to say that in my present game; Epic, Prince, pangea, Ljosalfar in the year ~!250 I have seen no wolves! I've seen many lions and elephants and some bears and panthers but no wolves.

5. Anaztazioch

Anaztazioch Hit in the head too much

I have seen such animal-paradise... but there were bears not wolves.

6. Skippa

Skippa Noble

This "wolves roaming the countryside" issue seems very interesting to me. Everyone is either complaining that there are way too many wolves or that they've never seen a wolf in their game. :confused:
    Well I'll be the first one to say that I've seen both situations in the multiple games I've played. In one game I suffered from the wolves being everywhere and the couple of games after that I had a better variety of animals including bears, elephants, lions and a spider or two.

In support of the new animal spawning scripts, it seems to me that every game is different. I can usually rely on bears or wolves being around to help with my city culture ratings or conquest of low level enemies but there seems to be no guarantee of what the animal types will be or even if they will be there in sufficient numbers.

However, there are three things that I've noticed that I think are concerns:

1/ The wolves seem to reproduce much more than the other animals if they are left to their own devices. Even in games without many tiles for wolves to roam, the wolves(if they are there and left alone) seem to have greater numbers than the other animals (eg I don't recall bears in stacks of 3 or more in any of my games) (It seems that Anaztazioch may have something to say about this though since he had a throng of bears at his doorstep )

2/ With the other animals I usually can't find enough of them to fill all of my city's carnivals. With wolves (when they are there) there are so many that I usually have to disband them after I capture them.

3/ Its annoying to have to wait every turn for 8-10 wolf battles whenever I move my hunter to neutral lands. Thats really the biggest thing for me. When the wolves fill the map it is NO FUN! It is almost like the Grind in an MMORPG.:nono:

Maybe the team could change the wolves spawn script so that wolves don't spawn like the plague if they are given space to do so. (I know that this was done already but it still seems to be a problem).

7. Kael

Kael Deity

Yeah, I agree. Wolves are a bit different than bears and lions in that they don't need to make dens. Instead they upgrade to packs, which spawn new wolves (they are essentially wandering monster lairs).

Dens are pretty hard to make (they need the correct terrain, cant be to close to each other, etc) so they usually won't create an overwhelming amount of animals. They do create a lot occasionally, but thats okay by me. I dont mind if in 1 out of 20 games you get a bear or lion horde to deal with. I do mind if it happens in every game or even in 1 out of 3 games.

Wolves easier mechanic to spread is causing them to become overwhelming to frequently. They will probably be slowed down again in the next patch.

8. Anaztazioch

Anaztazioch Hit in the head too much

My bear spam was made on a large continent. A tundra betwean Illians, me and Ljosfaltar and Svaltalfar. Area was like 20 plots up, 40 wide, tundra, all forested (untill Viconia had her fun with Ashen priests ring of fire to burn all forest down... lol). There were like 6 bear dens. And as i walked through as hyborem all i saw was : bear, bear, bear with wolf, wolfpack, bear, bear, orc, bear, wolf, den, bear, wolf pack, scout, bear. ;)

It depends how will the roll for animal spawn work out. Wolves have highest chance it would seem, but still its rock-paper-scizor and i still cant understand how a paper can kill a rock...

9. Grey Fox

Grey Fox Master of Points

The paper catches the rock. Encapsulates it. (In swedish it's actually Rock, scissor, BAG)

10. evlutte

evlutte Vowel Salesman

IMO the sheim eaters of dreams are too powerfull. I was playing normal, small pangaea with 8civs, I was around the middle of the score bracket, then I went on a rampage with my 3 eaters summoning pit beasts, with hemah taking out walls and saverous covering. I wiped the whole board in about 30 turns. I didn't even need the special city eating until I hit the elves who actually had an army. Then I swallowed each city I captured, at the end I had exactly 60 pit beasts, half of them with heavy city attacking promotions. This seems to me very unbalenced, although I suppose that a human player might-just might- be able to get thru my protective ring-o-beasts and assasinate my eaters.

Thats my 2-cents at least

11. Grey Fox

Remember, Civs are balanced as a whole, units are not balanced 1 vs 1. Sheaim has their weak moments, and they have their peaks.

There has been discussions about the summoning trait being too strong (and it is strong), but it also has its peak. (and during large parts of the game it does nothing)

Magic is very strong in Single Player games cause the A.I. cant handle magic very well themselves. And they don't really know how to defend themselves either. Magic is strong period, even in MP. Especially summons with the summoning trait.

12. meteo63

meteo63 Chieftain

I registered to ask this question... If I want to play Fall from Heaven, should I download the first FfH that seems to be complete or the FfH II that seems to be incomplete? I really don't know which one is better right now. Please answer quick; I really want to download it, but I don't know which one.

13. Tyrion

Tyrion Hmmm.....

i'd get FFh2 personally, it may not be 'complete' but its probably the best mod i've played regardless.

14. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Fantasy Warlord

Definitely FFH2! FFH1 was good, but FFH2 is superlative! DL immediately! :)

15. chocmushroom

chocmushroom Warlord

I made the same point back in FFH1 and it's now come back again :confused: I think it has something the do with units, as you must have seen that when you summon a fireball it counts as a unit, but I agree with summoned units it should not happen, even with skeltons, as why do they cost anything except for mana power, and that is limited by the amount you can have due to mages and Death mana

16. kaelis

kaelis Chieftain

I started a custom game and I am playing the Clan of Embers. Having already played a good race, Elohim, I wanted to try Evil. Well when the game started I looked at the score display and I see this -

[High Chief Grok](good):cry:

What the heck is that?:confused:

Can anyone clue me in please and is it possible to play the Hyborem (demon race)?

Thanks for the help. :goodjob:

17. katika

katika Warlord

Are you playing with random personalities?

18. kaelis

kaelis Chieftain

Yep. Dang! Thats it? I thought that only applied to the AI personalities?

Also does anyone know why if you click on No lets reconsider it makes you attack anyway?

19. Grey Fox

Alignment is part of the Leader Personality

20. kaelis

kaelis Chieftain

Thats good to know.

Any idea on the 'No lets reconsider' problem??