1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[MOD] Fall from Heaven II

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by Kael, May 18, 2006.

1. Assurbanipal

Assurbanipal Chieftain

OK, I'm on it but I need OpenOffice.

Anyway, are the previous scenarii of FFH2 compatible with v.2025?

2. Fanatic Demon

Fanatic Demon Student in Wizardry

Kael, are hill giants with hidden nationality supposed to be able to capture cites?

3. Mortenart

Mortenart Steampunk

The noun, `effect`, was used correctly in my post. The verb would have been to `affect`, bringing about an `effect`. Affect as a noun is used in a different context. I have a degree in English, check the dictionary next time! :rolleyes:

ps apologies for the off topic rant, but he started it!

4. Broken Hawk

Broken Hawk Emperor

Yes they are. Read the first post in the bug thread. ;)

5. Ambreville

Ambreville Deity

First, my post wasn't meant as a rant or some annoying jab. Second, this concerned the use of the verb in the mod (and not anyone's posts). Third, I did go by the Webster's definition of the two verbs in question. I never intended to start a nasty discussion here.

6. Nikis-Knight

Nikis-Knight Deity

Probably not, but they can be made so. The file extension needs to be changed, and some other bits in the team info section. Save a game of v15 in WB, and then open it up with notepad and compare with the scenario you want to convert.

7. Mortenart

Mortenart Steampunk

Sorry, crossed lines. Because your post was straight after mine I guess. :crazyeye:

I do believe the Nilhorn giants (and any HN units) should have to declare nationality before taking cities though. By turn 600 I have taken almost 20 AI cities, without once being at war. AI`s are really bad at building on mana nodes too.

8. jselsmark

jselsmark FFH2 Fanatic

Just wanted you to know that Kael is on the case... if he ever figures a figures out how to fix it :goodjob:

9. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Fantasy Warlord

Just to mention another problem with HN units:

Using my HN Giant Spider I can capture workers - in previous versions of FFH this wasn't possible, they were destroyed.

Combined with the fact that the AI really sucks at hunting those invisible Giant Spiders down, I've been capturing literally dozens of workers with Spiders... it's actually unbalancing my games, since the AI builds worker after worker and feeding them to my Spiders :D , while I never have to build workers after the first one or two.

Seems to me the AI 'forgets' from turn to turn that a Giant Spider is on their territory and makes no effort to send Hunters after it.

10. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Fantasy Warlord

Oh, and another issue with animals:

There are way too many Elephants running around in my games. It seems the AI never attacks them because of their strong defense... the weaker animals get killed, but when an Elephant spawns, it stays around till I finally get around to capturing them with Hunters or Rangers.

Since 0.25 I am having trouble finding more than a couple of Lions and Wolves to capture (even using Wildlands option), sometimes a Bear or two, if I'm lucky a Tiger or Gorilla once in a blue moon... but Elephants I can capture in herds, though I find them of little use. BTW, why can't I build an Elephant Pen or something, like with the other animals? It would make them more useful..

11. XplorR

XplorR Chieftain

I just had a crazy idea about workers and elephants. It would be interesting to combine the two and create a new unit that can defend itself better and would have a greater production value. Like I said it was just a crazy idea I had.:D

12. King Flevance

King Flevance Deity

I am pretty sure war elephants are in the game, although I can't recall where on the tech tree. Hehe, I havent made it far yet, every time I get a game going a couple patches have came out and, well lets just say I always want the newest version. But I also havent been able to get much game time in recently.

Anyways about these elephants, Aren't they just early power units if you capture them? I have yet to capture one myself. :sad: But I agree with Dragon, I see alot of them just roaming around but don't see too much else at all really. I also always use wildlands and huge maps. I guess I see an average amount of bears. Everything else (lions and wolves included) seem kinda sparse. (Except lions and wolves in the real early stage)

Would it help at all to post a couple game 'logs' to list the frequency of spawns at all? I don't even know if the code can make less elephants spawn compared to bears, or whatnot. Or if it just "picks a random card from the deck" or something. I may keep track anyways from now on for my own good. That way I know what "rare" and what isn't. As for gorillas and tigers, I always thought they were suppose to be rare. I have yet to capture either, although I do see them every once in a while.

13. Kael

Kael Deity

Animals all have a terrain preferences, ofr many of the animals that spawn depends on how much of that terrain you have on your maps.

Elephants: Grasslands and Plains
    Wolf: Forested Tundra and Snow
    Bear: Any Forest
    Lion: Grasslands, Plains and Desert
    Gorilla: Any Jungle
    Tiger: And Jungle

So if you play on a map without many jungles you won't fund many Gorillas or Tiger. If you play on a map with a ton of forests you will see lots of bears. A heavily forested cold climate continent is a good place to hunt for bears and wolves, a warm clear continenent is a good place to hunt for elephants and lions, etc.

14. Ambreville

Ambreville Deity

I've never been able to build the Menagerie wonder. By the time I get the required tech and hunters with appropriate skills, unsettled lands are usually no longer available. I think the best shot for this would be to play the Terra setup or use a huge map (??) The only time I ever saw "a" gorilla was once, and this was with the plain Vanilla version of the mod. I do see the other animals fairly regularly, although tigers tend to be rarer, even with lots of jungle.

Hmmm... maybe there is an opportunity to introduce a "Lost Valley" feature to the mod somewhere on the map. It would require some difficulty to enter that valley (climbing a mountain range, finding a hidden entrance, ??) Then again, this might entail a GIANT gorilla and some prehistoric critters! ;)

15. seamus75

seamus75 Warlord

Hello,

I agree that Elephants really do seem unnecessary except as foils to a auto-explore scout. Perhaps requiring a captured elephant (and subsequent elephant pen) to create units that require elephants.

This would make them worth while & perhaps intrique the AI enough to help clear them out.

Thanks,
    Seamus

16. JDexter

JDexter Prince

Kael, are you finished with patching 0.25? Already working on Shadow now, or is there just a little break?

Looking forward to any and all new things FfH-related. ;)

17. Kael

Kael Deity

I've started checking the teams ideas into the first version of "Shadow". But Ive held off making any SDK changes because Im still noodling on these OOS issues and hoping that more isolation will let us get it worked out.

18. domino36963

domino36963 Chieftain

What map script (if any) allows for the added terrain?

I also noticed that it seems impossible to play this in marathon; waaaay too slow

other than that, it's an amazing mod; thanks for the BtS conversion

19. Ploeperpengel

Ploeperpengel academic precarity

The Hellterrain will spread as soon the Infernals enter the world. It's not placed by mapgenerators.
    Yeah Gamespeed is different here. I'd say a quick game feels roughly like a normal vanilla game concerning techadvancemenent. I suggest you try a normal game first;)

20. jselsmark

jselsmark FFH2 Fanatic

Is the 100+ turns to get a settler bothering you?

IMOH it is only the startup that is a wee bit slow... once you get started playing on marathon is a lovely experience, but I must agree that it seems to take even longer to build that initial settler unit now so loosing it is almost a certain restart.