1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[MOD] Fall from Heaven II

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by Kael, May 18, 2006.

1. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Fantasy Warlord

Not to make this an Elephant thread :D but just to clarify my problem:

No problem with their spawn rate as such, but their Defense is so high the AI seems to leave them strictly alone in the early game. Since animal spawning is limited, each Elephant wandering around takes a 'slot' away from another animal type - which is why, just about at the time my Scouts finally have Animal Taming, they can find very few animals but the Elephants, who are still too strong to take on.
    I should mention I'm playing on Immortal at the moment, so maybe the problem isn't as bad on lower difficulty levels - on this level though, the AI has enough of a head start to clean out the other animals before I can get at them.
    What makes it more infuriating is that I find the Elephants almost useless when I capture them - they can't build anything and can only defend... OK for an occasional additional city defender or for a choke point, but mostly they just stand around eating hay :D ... that is, generating support costs.

My proposal would be to lower their defense rate a bit - maybe to 6? - and allow them to build an Elephant Pen with happiness bonus like the others.

2. Dogfax

Dogfax Chieftain

Having played every Civ to death since the original on my Amiga2000 all those years ago gotta say that this is the best mod/version of Civ that I have played.. Just luv the way this mod is soooo much more than just diff units and tech tree... its changed the whole feel for the game. With the strong barb and animal units I really get a wilderness feel. not just a rush to get the huts like in the normal game.

Anyway... back to the topic.. I have found that the animal rate is fine... and they are fun to capture. Im playing on noble, islands, with the double animal spawn rate, and am having a ball going hunting for them. The way I have found to do it is not "cleanse" the entire area. ie explore it all but leave the lairs and let the fog back over the area your are not using. Seems to spawn plenty then. Im only a about 100turns in or so.. got gorillas,tigers,lions, elephants, and that magic axe thingy.....(that took alot of warriors!!)
    Saying the elephant isnt much use isnt really fair. A strength 8 unit that early on is invaluable for the city defence, spec against those dam skeletons, and makes the difficult capture all the more worthwhile.

If you dont have the "animal husbandry" tech then just save your promotions till you can use it, or even better get an "adventurer" great person.

3. TSteamer

TSteamer Addicted

Agree with 100% of the above post and I would add that its beyond just capturing workers...I'm actually holding an entire CIV basically hostage with 3 full Giant Spiders in each of their 4 cities. I havent had to declare war or anything! I should be specific here and state that I havent captured the city, just holding it unit-less!

It all just started with one of my scouts (3 star'ed-forest-I-subdue animal) successfully defending against a wild giant spider, fortifying the wounded spider in a city for 20 or so turns, then once healed, setting it loose on barbarian hobgoblins (lots of them in my raging barbarian-large map on Monarch difficulty) to make little minions. (The original spider is now a 5-star promotee!!)

As great as it is working out for me, I that I think the combo of HN plus a unit that re-spawns itself is very unbalancing. The only down side is that this technique is kind of wrecking my economy actually because I've got an army of 12 Giant Spiders and at least 15 other baby ones waiting in the wings.

Maybe make it so you cant promote these units?

4. jacktannery

jacktannery Prince

I agree completely with the above post. Animals are far too powerful when they are captured (I accidently captured a Giant Spider at the beginning of the game which is now maximised promotion and can kill anything, and its just too easy). and the AI doesn't know how to use them effectively.

I think that animals should be able to promote when they are independent, but that the player should not be able to promote them once captured.

As for Marathon Games, Domino36963, I always play marathon and I love the slowness. Each to their own, I guess..., but it is certainly not unplayable.

5. thp427

thp427 Chieftain

Very simple question. This mod sounds very interesting to me -- but does it require purchasing the BTS expansion? I only have basic CIV IV. I noted at the begging that it requires a BTS patch -- but does that mean I can download the patch only and then get this mod to work, or do I need the actual BTS game?

6. Kael

Kael Deity

There are 2 versions linked int he first post. A BtS version (which you mentioned) and a vanilla Civ4 version. You want the 2nd version.

But keep in mind that all future development will be on the BtS version so any new features and such will only be in that version (so if you try the vanilla version and like it you may want to consider getting BtS to play the new version).

7. jselsmark

jselsmark FFH2 Fanatic

It might be worth mentioning that the civ vanilla version is fully playable, and that I personally havn't found any bugs in it for the last many updates. Give it a go and if you love it just as much as I do you will definaely buy BTS to keep playing the newer versions of the game :goodjob:

8. Dogfax

Dogfax Chieftain

Just wondered what the Pirate Coves do?? (think thats what they are called) You can create them using a particular race (it kills the worker) and makes this cave in the place of the land tile.... but doesnt seem to do anything?? Am I missing something? the game has not text under the entry for them.

9. seamus75

seamus75 Warlord

Hello,

The only use I have found for them is to link a land-locked city to water. I believe they also give extra gold in that tile; & since Hannah recieves more food from water tiles than farms, perhaps more food as well.

Thanks,
    Seamus

10. TheEnlightened1

TheEnlightened1 Chieftain

I have been Playing FFH and love it. I havve found that the BTS version still needs some work. Here's what I have noticed.

1) Kuriotes Sprawling doesn't seem to work
    2) The Charts only show my stats not all other
    3) Not sure what to do with spying or industry

on the plus side.,

1) Love random events makes the game more real
    2) neat new resources and game options

any thoughts?

11. seZereth

seZereth FfH´s art monk(ey)

you might want to have a look at this thread:
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=245949

keep on enjoying :)

12. 3141592

3141592 Warlord

Am I missing somehting? For some reason Losha Valas's feed button isn't working in a size 22 city. It's there on the bottom of the screen, but it's grayed out.

13. Consciousness

Consciousness Chieftain

Is Fear supposed to be 100% effective in preventing living units from attacking? It seems like it is, which I have a problem with.

14. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

Do you mean Feast?

Feed it the spell where a vamp devoured a blood pet (unfourtunately this spell wa nerfed in BtS to make the AI use it better. It used to heal no matter what living, non-animal unit you devoured and give extra movement/casting ability if it was a bloodpet, but not is only takes the weakest bloodpet one the tile and only heals the unit. It is only available when the the vamp is injured)

Assuming you meant feast, do you have the latest patch? patch k fixed a bug in the python requirement for feast (it returned false if the city was too small for a feast, but never returned true).

Also, feast is now like most other spells in that it can only one spell can be used per turn (unless a spellstaff is used to restore the casting ability)

15. overdark

overdark Chieftain

That's a shame. I used to feed on slaves my vamps would capture, which I thought created a good synergy with the slavery civic, which I think is otherwise weak compared to other religion civics like sacrifice the weak.

16. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

I agree. OO's civic was the best for the vamps, but now it kinda sucks (no pun intended)

Of course, since you can turn off the Armageddon Counter now, you can eliminate any reason for the vamps not to go AV

17. seamus75

seamus75 Warlord

Hello,

KUDOS! The team has managed to merge all of the advances of BtS with the creativity & imagination of FfH2 resulting in the current build of the FfH2 Mod - outstanding!

A great example would be the random events - taking the workable features of BtS & putting the FfH2 flavor on them. This however is also the basis of my post. I have noticed that I am not getting the negative or positive effects of the random events as they relate to the other Civs - ie ambassadorial faux pas, failed or celebrated marriages. Is there any plan to fix that or is this just a phenomena in my games?

Thanks,
    Seamus

18. Nikis-Knight

Nikis-Knight Deity

Well, not all the special game options are garunteed to be balanced.

19. TheAdept

TheAdept Chieftain

Hi,
    I have been playing FFH since FFH1, I love it!
    Currently I am playing on valina with the FFH2 lastest version and planning to move to BtS asap.

In any case, I have few Q:
    1) Natures Revolt - I rarly get the chance to transferr barbs to animals, when using it most of the world is already populated.
    Shouldn't this wonder be available earlier?

2) Adepts - It seems to me that it's taking a long time until the magic kicks in, is it reasoble to get adepts earlier in the game?

3) Barnaxus - When rebuilding it, the expirience of the unit is reset. Is it a bug? if not then what's the idea of him?

20. jselsmark

jselsmark FFH2 Fanatic

If you are going for a cultural victory OO is still the way to go... especially if you are playing with Belseraps and have humans, elves, orcs and dwarves to capture and put into your freakshows for even greater cultural benefits.

But pther than that I guess you have a point...