[MOD] Fall from Heaven II

There is no CivilizationUnits.xml file. I think you are talking about CIV4UnitInfos.xml. Ars Moriendi is in there, but like many units his name is not the same as the xml. He is referred to simply as UNIT_ARS. (Likewise, Baron Duin Halfmourn is just UNIT_DUIN)
Yeah... I finally found him!!! I should have looked more closely before opening my big trap... :rolleyes: Anyway, thanks for the feedback. The horsemen have some pretty cool effects and abilities.

My wife actually likes designing more than playing so, when she commented that she wished that their was a map builder in Civ 4 and I pointed out that there actually was one, she immediately went to work creating a map for me... Well, her first attempt had a few "kinks" in it. First off, when I settled the area around my city was all in dark (easily fixed by one of the "reveal map" commands), she accidentally provided me with some frostlings for scouts, and -- God bless her pea pickin' heart -- she accidentally provided me with the Avatar of Wrath to help my civilization along (let's see Orthus attack my city!!!!!). Unfortunately, there was a significant problem with the technologies that I'm hoping that someone out there can help with given the time she invested in creating this map...

My starting technology ("mining") showed a turns of "1" to complete. Unfortunately, it stayed at "1" for about 10-15 turns. I have tried adjusting the technology settings given the dropdown list in the WorldBuilder, but it keeps returning to the last setting on the list -- or providing me with every freakin' technology in certain eras (I'd like to actually earn each technology).

I'm a little puzzled by this since she has, since her first attempt, did three more maps and the technology advance works correctly in them. However, in an attempt to avoid the loss of her first attempt (heh!!! Having some frostlings -- great scouts given that they can actually kill bears -- and the Avatar of Wrath are GOOD things) I'm crossing my fingers that someone knows how to fix the technology issue (i.e. no advancement).

Thanks.

I've been meaning to ask this question for a while, but keep forgetting... I just finished a game with the Kuriotates and I'm curious about the "enclaves" that seem to pop up around their cities. Is it a safe assumption that cottages eventually turn into enclaves for them given that their workers have no "build enclave" command and, despite this, I keep getting them around my cities?

Thanks.

I've been meaning to ask this question for a while, but keep forgetting... I just finished a game with the Kuriotates and I'm curious about the "enclaves" that seem to pop up around their cities. Is it a safe assumption that cottages eventually turn into enclaves for them given that their workers have no "build enclave" command and, despite this, I keep getting them around my cities?

Thanks.

Yeap, they are a cottage upgrade that only the Kuriotates get.

Your tech issue may be because you don't have a palace. Palace's are supposed to grant some bonus research. If you didn't have one I can understand that it woul dnever progress, but thats just my guess.

You do a ton of posting in this thread, you should check out the full FfH forum for questions and stuff (there is even a forum for scenarios and such that you wife may be interested in).

It shows a "1" in turns needed for research if you are making no progress (for some reason). Maybe you started with a city without a palace and no commerce to work, or else you never settled?
You will start in all "fog of war" if when making the map you paint over it with unreveal tiles, or hit un reveal all. It helps if putting units down is the last thing you do, I think. Also, you may not know that you can edit the worldbuilder file using notepad. (not in-game, but from windows, by right-clicking and selecting open with). It's not exactly obvious, but by comparison you can figure it out and it's the only way to add or change players after creating a map.

It looks like you installed it to "My Games".

Nope, it's not in My Games. It's in C:/Program Files...etc. like every other mod.

You will start in all "fog of war" if when making the map you paint over it with unreveal tiles, or hit un reveal all. It helps if putting units down is the last thing you do, I think. Also, you may not know that you can edit the worldbuilder file using notepad. (not in-game, but from windows, by right-clicking and selecting open with). It's not exactly obvious, but by comparison you can figure it out and it's the only way to add or change players after creating a map.

Firaxis corrected that in the 3.17 patch. It's no longer possible to unreveal a tile you can currently see.

I just patched it up to 3.17, and still got the same error :( ...

Hi there. Thank you for this great mod. I played a lot of versions of it.

I recently got Civ4 Beyond the Sword. I reinstalled the game (on my D: drive) and put Civ4, Civ4 BTS, the 3.17 final patch and FFH2 version 0.32 there.

Civ4 BTS works fine. Creates a game just fine.
FFH2 mod loads fine. But when I try to create a game world, the game crashes. Whatever settings I try (I tried many).

Error report :

AppName: civ4beyondsword.exe AppVer: 3.1.3.1 ModName: msvcr71.dll
ModVer: 7.10.3052.4 Offset: 00002eee

Does anyone have an idea what I am doing wrong ? Should I just make a lot of space on my C:\ and install there instead (would be a bit of a trouble)

Opps, toss me a handgrenade.. Forgot to install Patch L.
Works splendidly now. Sorry. Maybe this post is useful to others though.

A tad intimidating posting where you guys all know so much more then I do about this game. You have gotten me hooked on FFH2. I have done modmods as well and had everything working with FFH2032 patch d (Still works until I add patch L)

When I add Fall Further with Patch D I get the same error using his 040 and patch b.

When I add Scions to FFH2032 patch d, FF033 same error using Scions 1_32

Everything works if I do FFH2032 patch d, FF033, and Scions 1_29.

Any idea what this could be? I'm running XP02sp2 and graphics, sound are patched up.

I have re-installed Civ4 and patched it up to try from scratch and I still run into these errors. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi everyone,

First post here! (finally, and probably not my last post either) :)

I've been a fan of civ since i was a wee one when the first civ came out. I'm always coming back to the latest release of the game once every year or two to hammer it non-stop for a couple months.

Upon learning about Fall from Heaven II i was very excited and when I first downloaded it, I literally spent a whole night browsing thru the civilipedia. I was enthralled by the detail and huge range of strategies and individual niches one must be able to pursue in this game. The only other proper mod I have played was double your pleasure for civ3 (which is fantastic however it didn't really increase the overall scope and playability of the game like FfH would seem to). Anyhoo - congratulations to all of the team on putting together a remarkably sophisticated and well thought out mod.

Having said all of this, I seem to have a fatal issue with the game. I am playing version 0.32 with patch "L" and the fall from heaven mediapack. In my first game I played as Kandros Fir of Khazad on Monarch difficulty and found that my adepts could never be upgraded, even though some reached level 5. I'm not sure why. I decided to attack the AI for fun at this point to see what magic they would have then these massive Treants flooded me and I thought wow, lost a few units, and quit and restarted a game on easier setting and see if I can actually upgrade adepts this time. Llater I discovered the Treants are a 'once off spell' and I realised I was actually way in front of the AI technologically and economically etc etc. I didn't realise this until 2 or 3 games later.

Anyway, here is where it gets interesting - as a test run I decided to play a team game allied with one AI versus two other AI. For some reason the AI does not build cottages. My team-mate AI even went for two very expensive technologies before getting education. Even when I decided to research education. my team-mate still did not build cottages despite having the pre-req.

I am finding the game is unplayable like this because for it to be a challenge at all, one must play on deity, and then, the challenge is from biased combat odds vs barbarians and early AI warrior/archer/archer-hero-guy rush or whatever.. if you survive that part then the game is as good as won.

They won't even rush for bronze working and get training yards up! I'd love to play a multiplayer game, that would be a lot of fun (even if the snowball effect might be phenomenal once someone gets that technological edge)

In any case, I am emphatuated with the idea of playing a fantasy race with it's own unique traits etc. If only the AI would build cottages!! Is this peculiar to version 0.32 or is there something funny going on specifically with my copy here?

Cheers,

\WuK/

Having said all of this, I seem to have a fatal issue with the game. I am playing version 0.32 with patch "L" and the fall from heaven mediapack. In my first game I played as Kandros Fir of Khazad on Monarch difficulty and found that my adepts could never be upgraded, even though some reached level 5. I'm not sure why.
The Khazad cannot have mages or archmages. It was a conscious design choice to limit them to the first tier of magic. They are one of the strongest civs in many other ways. You can still get archmage equivalents though Hemah, (an Octopus Overlords hero), Gibbon Goetia (the Council of Esus Hero), or possibly Gaelen (a mage hero created through a random event, which also founds a guild).

I decided to attack the AI for fun at this point to see what magic they would have then these massive Treants flooded me and I thought wow, lost a few units, and quit and restarted a game on easier setting and see if I can actually upgrade adepts this time. Llater I discovered the Treants are a 'once off spell' and I realised I was actually way in front of the AI technologically and economically etc etc. I didn't realise this until 2 or 3 games later.

There are 3 seperate ways to get Treants.
1. Summon a (permanent) Treant with a High Priest of the Leaves (or a Druid of the FoL religion). This spell can be cast only in forests/ancient forest, and you can only have 1 treant per possible caster.

2. There is a chance (3%, doubled if near a city with a Temple of the Leaves, iirc) that a Treant will spawn to defend an FoL civ's territory when a rival unit tries moving into an unoccupied Ancient Forest tile in said civ's territory. These Treants only last 3 turns.

3. The Ljosalfar World Spell creates a Treant on every Forest or Ancient Forest plot, and reduces the plot to a New Forest Plot. These Treants last 5 turns.

Kael says that the main reason the AI doesn't upgrade Adepts is that it has a very low Priority for researching the Arcane techs, and so can't do so. (I Personally think it also has to do with the fact that the AI weighting of the Adept unit is much higher than of its upgrades, so it thinks that upgrading would make it weaker instead of stronger. He says he doesn't think these weights are used when deciding to upgrade a unit, only to build it, but I'm not so sure.) The weighting was made low because the AI doesn't know how to use spells very well. It actually isn't that bad at using magic anymore when it can, but will never move a unit into position to make its spells more useful. It is better with summons, and not very good at using spells that have prereqs or effects in Python.

Later on opposing AIs usually do build cottages - in one game an AI cottaged its entire territory including three Ivory ressources because it didn't have Hunting. It took some time for me to realize I didn't have the ressource before I noticed that...

I do agree that the AI does incredibly poorly in terms of economical decisions - I still haven't played FFH a lot, 10 to 12 or so games, everything on Immortal, but I have never even once gotten into a situation where I could really not win. I might try Deity, but giving the AI even more short term advantages instead of good decision-making doesn't really sound as if it'll help. Besides, Settlers are much more expensive in FFH than in normal civ.

Goodie Huts, late cottages, too many techs for happiness ressources and somewhat weird tech preferences are probably the main causes of this - for example, the AI grows its cities to unhappy sizes all the time due to high food surpluses, it's really frustrating.

New features are important, sure, but FFH is meant to be singleplayer and at the same time the weak AIs make interesting singleplayer experiences difficult to achieve.

Has sanctify been really toned down? I just finished playing a game, and sanctifying size 15 cities would only lower the armageddon counter by 1, and it seemed cities even as large as size 10 wouldn't lower the counter at all.

???
Code:
def reqSanctify(caster):
	pPlot = caster.plot()
	bValid = False
	if pPlot.getFeatureType() == gc.getInfoTypeForString('FEATURE_FALLOUT'):
		bValid = True
	if pPlot.getImprovementType() == gc.getInfoTypeForString('IMPROVEMENT_CITY_RUINS'):
		return True
	if pPlot.getImprovementType() == gc.getInfoTypeForString('IMPROVEMENT_GRAVEYARD'):
		return True
	iX = pPlot.getX()
	iY = pPlot.getY()
	for iiX in range(iX-1, iX+2, 1):
		for iiY in range(iY-1, iY+2, 1):
			pPlot = CyMap().plot(iiX,iiY)
			if pPlot.getPlotCounter() > 0:
				bValid = True
	if bValid == False:
		return False
	pPlayer = gc.getPlayer(caster.getOwner())
	if (pPlayer.isHuman() == False and caster.getOwner() != pPlot.getOwner()):
		return False
	return True

def spellSanctify(caster):
	pPlot = caster.plot()
	if pPlot.getFeatureType() == gc.getInfoTypeForString('FEATURE_FALLOUT'):
		pPlot.setFeatureType(-1, -1)
	if pPlot.getImprovementType() == gc.getInfoTypeForString('IMPROVEMENT_CITY_RUINS'):
		pPlot.setImprovementType(-1)
		CyGame().changeGlobalCounter(-1)
	if pPlot.getImprovementType() == gc.getInfoTypeForString('IMPROVEMENT_GRAVEYARD'):
		pPlot.setImprovementType(-1)
		CyGame().changeGlobalCounter(-1)
		pPlayer = gc.getPlayer(caster.getOwner())
		newUnit = pPlayer.initUnit(gc.getInfoTypeForString('UNIT_EINHERJAR'), pPlot.getX(), pPlot.getY(), UnitAITypes.NO_UNITAI, DirectionTypes.DIRECTION_SOUTH)
	iX = pPlot.getX()
	iY = pPlot.getY()
	for iiX in range(iX-1, iX+2, 1):
		for iiY in range(iY-1, iY+2, 1):
			pPlot = CyMap().plot(iiX,iiY)
			if pPlot.getPlotCounter() > 0:
				pPlot.changePlotCounter(pPlot.getPlotCounter() * -1)

Sanctify doesn't have anything to do with city size. It only reduces the AC when it removes Graveyards or City Ruins, and then it always reduces the true AC by 1. The displayed AC is a percentage of the Maximum True AC, which is different based on the number of civs in the game.

Ahhh, that explains it. Yes, I meant city ruins. I thought it lowered the counter based on the size of the city the ruins used to represent (or was that only in vanilla FFH?)

Thanks!

i'm pretty sure someone asked yet, but something "corrupted" my lands (you know, flames on desert and no more forests) and it was A LITTLE BIT frustrating the drop of my capital from 16 to 7......
Any suggestions?

Top Bottom