[MOD] Fall from Heaven II

If it looks like a fool talks like a fool acts like a fool maybe it is a fool :)

Probably a dumb question. Sorry if this has been answered before.

What exactly causes crime rate (other than random events and buildings)? I used to think it was the amount of resources near said city or the amount of money being produced from same city. Distance from capital doesn't seem like the key either.

The crime rate can only be influenced by buildings events and the under council. Its only meant to influence realism of the random crime related events. This is from the civopedia. Good random question

YAY first post:lol::lol::lol:

In addition to the Guild of the Nine, which gives you the mercenaries, the Guild of Hammers is very powerful, with its free Forges in every city. But I agree with your general point that the other guilds are pretty underpowered in comparison.

Lets be fair though. The Guild of Hammers is NOT a guild in any sense of the word. It is a wonder that results in a free building in cities in your empire, like may other wonders in BTS and Vanilla Civ. The other cities do NOT have the guild, but get the benefits. It does not spread to other cities and its presence in one city effects the entire empire. This is a WONDER effect, not a GUILD one, notwithstanding the obfuscation of nomenclature.

Beyond the Guild of the Nine, none of the other guilds seem to have any relevant or useful effect. Nothing close to on par with BTS' corporations.

Room for enhancement here.

For instance, a performers' guild that gives culture and great bard points, but consumes currency.

A scholars' guild that would give a research bonus and perhaps great sage points, but consumes food and a small amount of production.

An agricultural company that would increase food at the cost of some currency and perhaps even culture

A warrior's guild that would increase military unit production but cost food and research, and be incompatible in the same city with the scholar's guild.

A druid's council that would increase research points from forest land, but would take food, and be incompatible with arcane or priest guilds

A priest's guild that would offer units created in the city a Medic I promotion, but would drain the coffers with required gold upkeep, incompatible with scholar's guild or druid's guild

Guild headquarters (a la BTS) that would offer a greater bonus or bring gold to the headquarter city depending on how many other cities the guild is in

Exclusions which would preclude having two incompatible guilds in the same city.

Meaningful tradeoffs that would require careful consideration so that one could not randomly spam guilds, but that they could have meaningful uses under the right circumstances.

These are just rough examples in need of much refinement and revision, but you get the idea. With careful consideration and balancing, there is definitely potential for some revised guilds to increase replay value and contribute to the strategic diversity of FFH2.

These are the kinds of tradeoffs that would make builds more meaningful and bring the guild feature up to the high standards and originality of the rest of FFH2's design.

Something to consider.

If you want more Guilds, you might want to try Ahwaric's Orbi Modmod. This adds eight more guilds, in addition to other changes like ranged combat, flanking attacks, return of the polearm melee line, Great Generals, tech tree changes, civ specific pagan temples, new terrains/features/improvements, etc.

I'm planning to include a lot (but not all) of it in my modmod too. (I'd actually made some of the changes before he did.)

so I start a new game, and I get to the screen that says "The Age of Ice has Ended" and then the game crashes to desktop... I just installed beyond the sword, patched it, installed the mod, and installed the mod patch. Am I missing something that would cause this?

so I start a new game, and I get to the screen that says "The Age of Ice has Ended" and then the game crashes to desktop... I just installed beyond the sword, patched it, installed the mod, and installed the mod patch. Am I missing something that would cause this?

That means you arent running BtS patch 3.17.

If you want more Guilds, you might want to try Ahwaric's Orbi Modmod. This adds eight more guilds, in addition to other changes like ranged combat, flanking attacks, return of the polearm melee line, Great Generals, tech tree changes, civ specific pagan temples, new terrains/features/improvements, etc.

I'm planning to include a lot (but not all) of it in my modmod too. (I'd actually made some of the changes before he did.)

Is there an ETA on your modmod?

That means you arent running BtS patch 3.17.

I go to advanced, then to about this build, and it says Civ version 317. Isn't that it?

plus, when I try to install patch 3.17 again, I get a message that says the patch is already installed and is not needed.

Is there an ETA on your modmod?

Not exactly. I'm not even starting until Vehem releases a version of FF that incorporates the latest version of Xienwolf's xml modcomp, and I'm not sure how long it will take.

I should also probably be focusing mostly on school now. We've basically finished the group project that was taking up so much of my time (it has been turned in, but we have to do the presentation on it this Thursday), but I've gotten behind on my Dynamics homework (it isn't actually for a grade, but after seeing my grade on the first test it is clear that I really need the practice before the second test or Final Exam.) and have not yet started (or chosen a topic for) my Political science term paper (either the required one or the one that is for extra credit). There are only two more weeks of class left, then one of final exams.

I've been spending too much time playing Fall Further and Orbi modmod (both including some personal changes) and haven't been getting my work done. As such, I just decided to take out the Civ IV disc and put it away, perhaps for the rest of the semester. I guess that means I won't actually start until the last day of this month. Of course, I'd then be going home until the Fall semester, and would be stuck with dial-up for a couple weeks. I won't really have anything else to do during that time, so I should be able to focus on my modmod and have it ready for release when I move in to my fall apartment around August 17th.

I go to advanced, then to about this build, and it says Civ version 317. Isn't that it?

plus, when I try to install patch 3.17 again, I get a message that says the patch is already installed and is not needed.

Hmm.. try disabling movies and see if that fixes it for you.

@WoundedKnight

Some nice ideas on guilds in your latest post.

You're right about the Guild of Hammers, of course. I'm sure you remember that in pre-BtS versions of FfH it was the Guild of Endeavors wonder, so it's just a re-named version of that, basically. I think there are supposed to be some events involving this guild, but I don't think I've seen any. It might make sense to make it a wonder again rather than a guild, thereby freeing up one of the guild slots for something like one of the guilds you've suggested.

That definately fixed it, thanks a lot. I'm glad to playing this mod again, its the best out there.

2 032 doesn't work for me in vista. It gets an error that says "GFC Error: failed to initialize the primary control theme when initializing the engine. :( Any ideas? I LOVED FFH2.023 and I really want to play this new version.

Hi,

I installed mod Fall from Heaven 2 032 and Patch "I" and am running Civ BtS v 317. I can load the mod and choose a new single player game without difficulities. However, the game crashes to the desktop as soon as I want to start the actual game and the graphics are initiated. I tried deactivating movies but the game still crashes. Any ideas what else I can try out to get the game running?

Hi,

I installed mod Fall from Heaven 2 032 and Patch "I" and am running Civ BtS v 317. I can load the mod and choose a new single player game without difficulities. However, the game crashes to the desktop as soon as I want to start the actual game and the graphics are initiated. I tried deactivating movies but the game still crashes. Any ideas what else I can try out to get the game running?

Load the mod and go into "Advanced -> About This Build" and see what Civ version it says.

I just figured out I installed the FfH Patch in the wrong directory:wallbash:

I reinstalled it and now the mod runs perfectly now :)

Thanks for your help!

I just figured out I installed the FfH Patch in the wrong directory:wallbash:

I reinstalled it and now the mod runs perfectly now :)

Thanks for your help!

Very cool, thanks for reporting back. I spent most of today trying to learn a scripting language for an installer so I could write a custom script that would autodetect where BtS was installed and keep people from having to mess with these sorts of issues. So hopefully it will be easier in the future, thanks!

Lets be fair though. The Guild of Hammers is NOT a guild in any sense of the word. It is a wonder that results in a free building in cities in your empire, like may other wonders in BTS and Vanilla Civ. The other cities do NOT have the guild, but get the benefits. It does not spread to other cities and its presence in one city effects the entire empire. This is a WONDER effect, not a GUILD one, notwithstanding the obfuscation of nomenclature.

Beyond the Guild of the Nine, none of the other guilds seem to have any relevant or useful effect. Nothing close to on par with BTS' corporations.

Room for enhancement here.

For instance, a performers' guild that gives culture and great bard points, but consumes currency.

A scholars' guild that would give a research bonus and perhaps great sage points, but consumes food and a small amount of production.

An agricultural company that would increase food at the cost of some currency and perhaps even culture

A warrior's guild that would increase military unit production but cost food and research, and be incompatible in the same city with the scholar's guild.

A druid's council that would increase research points from forest land, but would take food, and be incompatible with arcane or priest guilds

A priest's guild that would offer units created in the city a Medic I promotion, but would drain the coffers with required gold upkeep, incompatible with scholar's guild or druid's guild

Guild headquarters (a la BTS) that would offer a greater bonus or bring gold to the headquarter city depending on how many other cities the guild is in

Exclusions which would preclude having two incompatible guilds in the same city.

Meaningful tradeoffs that would require careful consideration so that one could not randomly spam guilds, but that they could have meaningful uses under the right circumstances.

These are just rough examples in need of much refinement and revision, but you get the idea. With careful consideration and balancing, there is definitely potential for some revised guilds to increase replay value and contribute to the strategic diversity of FFH2.

These are the kinds of tradeoffs that would make builds more meaningful and bring the guild feature up to the high standards and originality of the rest of FFH2's design.

Something to consider.

Yes, yes, yes. And lots of inter-guild-conflict events to enrich gameplay. The only other consideration I'd bring in is how religions and guilds may or may not conflict or otherwise affect game balance. Otherwise, I can't wait to see this kind of focus to be brought to bear on the guilds aspect of the game!

Top Bottom