[MOD] Fall from Heaven II

FF is worse at multiplayer then FFH2, I am going to play patch N on FF this week end.

I'm sure they will fix multiplayer, I just thought it was childish to say Kale didn't care about multiplayer because there was a multiplayer bug. That is just stupid. Multiplayer may work fine if you get the right draw of Civs in the game. WE got away with playing multiplayer last patch but by no means did we get every civilization combination. We only played two games multiplayer on this patch and both gave CTD's this time around.

To go back a patch do you have to uninstall then reinstall and install that patch or can you simply rerun the older patch. Some how I think option A.

normally a clean reinstall is recommended as there might be additional files in a newer patch which are incompatible with previous versions.

for Infernal/Mercurian spawning MP issues follow these steps:

For the player who gets the option to switch, go ahead and switch. This causes OOS for everyone playing. THe Infernal/Mercurian player simply needs to save the game, then reload it selecting their new civ. The rest of the players join his game and it should be fine.

You will know you have the right save selected when it shows your old race as being AI in the game lobby.

Is there any way to download the 0.34 version? I really like OzzyKPs map and its only compatible with that version it seems. Thanks in advance :)

The events dealing with religions seem to be happening way too early in the game. Wouldn't it be more useful to delay those by at least 100 turns?

Short answer:

If we did that it would be bad.

Long answer:

The event system is more complex than most people realize. Each event doesn't have a chance of occuring. Instead there is a blanket chance that any event occurs, and if that happens then it builds a list of available events and picks one.

The real purpose for the constellation events is to populate that list. If they didnt exist than early int he game there would only be a handful of events and you would get the same 3-4 events over and over. The constellation events add 21 events to the mix to keep it random. Thats why you often see players disable the constellation events and them complain that they got the monument event 3 times in a row and such.

So the real reason for the constellation events isnt to have the event, but to dilute the event pool. Especially early on when you dont meet the requirements for many fo the other events.

Later in the game more events are available so your chances of getting constellation events go down (as you noticed). Although that is counter-intuitive (since you would assume a specific event has a set chance of occuring) that is what is intended and allows for more random events to occur. Weird for flavor, good for game play.

Players sometimes feel cheated when they get an event that doesnt do anything. As if it was a waste of an event. From a game play perspective that is very useful as the mix allows us to have more events. In fact we were able to increase the chance of an event per turn when we added the constellation events (before that the repeating events issue, which is worse, forced us to keep the event chance low).

Alternately, we could rally the complainers and get them to self-organize and compose 20+ additional events suitable for the early game?

It is hard to come up with interesting events for the early game. Later on (as most of the event suggestions are) there is a lot mroe to play with. But in the games first 100 turns, its tough.

It is hard to come up with interesting events for the early game. Later on (as most of the event suggestions are) there is a lot mroe to play with. But in the games first 100 turns, its tough.

So events are needed, that do not influence the game too much, would that work?

A greedy bureaucrat/merchant/majordomo has been found guilty of funneling food into his/her/its own stores and selling his/her/its ill gotten gains to outsiders.
Shall we

a) confiscate his/her/its belongings after his next trade => small amount of cash

b) confiscate his/her/its stores => small amount of food for the city

c) hang him/her/it right now and share out his hold to the people => few turns happiness (+good)

d) this man/woman/creature has ambition, if he had more cunning we would promote him/her/it but getting caught is a crime in itself. Dispose of him/her/it in a creative way! => a bit of culture (+evil)

A greedy bureaucrat/merchant/majordomo has been found guilty of funneling food into his/her/its own stores and selling his/her/its ill gotten gains to outsiders.
Shall we

a) confiscate his/her/its belongings after his next trade => small amount of cash

c) hang him/her/it right now and share out his hold to the people => few turns happiness (+good)

d) this man/woman/creature has ambition, if he had more cunning we would promote him/her/it but getting caught is a crime in itself. Dispose of him/her/it in a creative way! => a bit of culture (+evil)

Might be a good idea to post event suggestions in the "Ideas Needed: Common Events" thread, just to keep them all in one place.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=262009

Shall we

Sounds like a good one to me.

Ah... At last I have managed to get Firaxis' patch 3.17 on my machine and was able to download your fantastic new version of FfH2. I have quite a few comments and questions regarding this version so I'm electing to break it up into multiple posts so please bear with me. First off, the new version adds some GREAT new wrinkles to the game (I love having the scenarios available though I have some questions later regarding them). I really love the look of the "new" Yvain (along with the druids) and Auric Ascended is amazing. I have to admit, though, that I liked the old look of ancient forests -- was easier to tell them apart from regular forests.

First off a few simple questions:

- Did you guys do something to improve the graphics. I recently installed a new graphics card that made the look of the game MUCH better and even permitted me to play on huge maps. But, with the new version, both the wife and I believe that the appearance of the world is even better.

- Is it my imagination or have you made the AI civs much tougher. I used to be able to easily get ahead of them in technologies and claim most of the wonders playing at my chicken sh*t "chieftain" level. This is no longer the case... They manage to keep up with me and beat me to many wonders.

- I don't think this is my imagination... The barbarians are apparently much, much tougher? I hardly ever lost hunters to barbarians, but now they get killed off (especially by the scorpion goblins) frequently. I've even had some rangers get killed off.

- Is the AI making tougher trades now? I used to be able to get techs from them on a fairly even basis. Now they appear to want techs from me that aren't nearly the worth of the ones they are offering.

Anyway, there's some questions to start off with. The next post has some more issues.

OK... I have some issues with the new FfH2 and I'm curious WHY the changes were made. Here goes:

- Why the elimination of watermills and machinist shops? Don't you like cities to actually have some production capabilities? While you can certainly build workshops rather than watermills, they didn't exactly have the same characteristics (i.e. windmills provided money). Regarding machinist shops, I always saved sufficient great people to start a golden age to get them built one I hit Machinery and now...

- The name is "beastmaster" and this kind of implies that they can SUBDUE BEASTS. I initially thought that hunters weren't getting the promotions normally associated with rangers or rangers with beastmasters until I looked and discovered that neither rangers nor beastmasters received either "subdue animal" or "subdue beast" as free promotions. Sorry for saying, but this sucks...

- I miss adepts getting 2 promotions when bumped up to mages and mages 2 promotions when bumped up to archmages. Why the change?

- What happed to war chariots? You took away the old style of war elephants quite a while back and now you remove another great unit?

- Why the change in how the "sprawling" characteristic is assigned? My wife dearly loves playing the Kuriotates and getting their centaur warriors, but hates the "sprawling" trait that permits only a limited number of cities. So... She always simply picked a different leader (with "unrestricted leaders") that didn't have sprawling. Now... She's going to be kind of stuck with "sprawling" now assigned to the Kuriotate civilization itself.

- This one really got me angry: In previous versions you could protect adepts and mages from assassins/shadows by having a weaker unit in the stack. Typically I accomplished this by loading hawks onto beastmasters, rangers, and druids. However, in a recent scenario with the elves (the ending was a REAL shocker!!!) I discovered that this was no longer the case. How the heck do you now protect your valuable units if hawks no longer work?

- The "Big and Small" map was always one of my favorites. But, in my most recent game, I discovered that "Big and Small" has been SERIOUSLY changed. You used to be able to pan out and see the entire globe. This is no longer the case and it appears more as one of the "flat" maps such as "Oasis" or "Inland Sea".

- Why the removal of bowyers? These buildings were good in adding a couple more experience points to your archer units.

I'd appreciate any feedback you guys have regarding these points. They have likely already been discussed in depth on previous pages, but since I'm at work I cannot take the time to read through all of them.

Thanks.

Well... I did say that I had a bunch of issues. These regard some seeming "bugs" that I discovered and some complaints that I have:

- I like the new ability to explore goblin forts, dungeons, and lairs. But... It sure seems like a lot more bad things happen out of them than good things (I've actually stopped exploring for the most part). Was this by design?

- OK, this may now be the FfH developers problem, but it may also be that the FfH units being displayed are the issue. During battles I like to check the odds of my unit against the enemy. Unfortunately, in many cases the odds are overlaid by the picture of the unit currently selected (which I DO like -- just not overlaying my battle odds!!).

- How the heck do you remove the "held" promotion on one of your units? Granted I cheated to do this, but... My beastmaster (who I thought had the "subdue beast" promotion -- already mentioned this issue) had beaten Archeron. Rather than getting the dragon as one of my units, he died... Well, darn it, I had EARNED the dragon. So... I let myself build Archeron. However, once he came into the world he had this "held" promotion that wouldn't let him move. I checked the "Free Promotions" against him and it's not coming from there. How can I remove this promotion?

- OK... Again this may be Firaxis' issue, but I'll mention it anyway. You have a BIG stack of units -- one so big that they cannot all fit in the frame where they appear on the screen. I can find one TINY right (<) arrow close to the "quit turn" button (kind of clumsy in this position), but I cannot locate a left (>) arrow. How the heck to I scroll through a large set of selected units?

The scenarios are, in general, pretty cool. The starting Falamar one was really easy, the one with Dain is really different (and neat!! Without my wife I don't think that I would have passed the challenge), and the elven war ending in a rather shocking fashion (HATE going to war without seige equipment). However, I do have three questions regarding them:

- Most of the scenarios pretty much consist of warring with other civs. Especially in the Falamar and Decius scenarios, does anyone have any suggestions on how best to approach such scenarios? What techs should I research? What buildings should I construct? Should I even worry about wonders and culture?

- I really ran into the wall in "Beneath the Heel". I'm supposed to capture the "Pieces of Barnaxus", but I'm not sure how I'm supposed to go about getting the money to hire sufficient warriors to accomplish this. I hire three horsemen to explore the area and they all got killed. After this I didn't have any way to get any more money since I cannot train units (even workers).

- This one really stuck me. I tried playing "Against the Wall". You're supposed to build 5 cities right off the bat, but you do NOT have enough money (that I've found!) to accomplish this since each city gets progressively more expensive. By the time I get to the fifth city I never have close to enough money. I tried planting a couple by goodie huts and this didn't do the job (I did get some more gold; just not nearly enough). Without building all the cities, it doesn't appear to let me continue with the scenario. Or... Is figuring out how to build the five cities the entire scenario?

Thanks for any advice that can be provided.

The scenarios are, in general, pretty cool. The starting Falamar one was really easy, the one with Dain is really different (and neat!! Without my wife I don't think that I would have passed the challenge), and the elven war ending in a rather shocking fashion (HATE going to war without seige equipment). However, I do have three questions regarding them:

- Most of the scenarios pretty much consist of warring with other civs. Especially in the Falamar and Decius scenarios, does anyone have any suggestions on how best to approach such scenarios? What techs should I research? What buildings should I construct? Should I even worry about wonders and culture?

- I really ran into the wall in "Beneath the Heel". I'm supposed to capture the "Pieces of Barnaxus", but I'm not sure how I'm supposed to go about getting the money to hire sufficient warriors to accomplish this. I hire three horsemen to explore the area and they all got killed. After this I didn't have any way to get any more money since I cannot train units (even workers).

- This one really stuck me. I tried playing "Against the Wall". You're supposed to build 5 cities right off the bat, but you do NOT have enough money (that I've found!) to accomplish this since each city gets progressively more expensive. By the time I get to the fifth city I never have close to enough money. I tried planting a couple by goodie huts and this didn't do the job (I did get some more gold; just not nearly enough). Without building all the cities, it doesn't appear to let me continue with the scenario. Or... Is figuring out how to build the five cities the entire scenario?

Thanks for any advice that can be provided.

Check out this forum:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=332

Top Bottom